Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

How much do you pay your aupair ?

(44 Posts)
Newtothisstuff Sun 07-Oct-12 18:35:26

I'm back again... I'm still on the hunt for an aupair to start in January
Aupair world is driving me crazy
My dh says I'm being too picky and should at least strike up email conversations with some of them.
I just exchanged a few with a nice enough girl from Italy, when it came to money I said I was looking to pay around the £70-£80 a week mark they would get loads of time off to study, use of car, mobile phone etc etc
She basically laughed at me and said she wants £250 per week and only wants to work 3 days !!
I might be being unreasonable but this sounds far too much, a childminder wouldn't even cost me that for my 2 DD
Do people pay that much or is she taking the absolute piss ???

MrAnchovy Fri 11-Jan-13 13:53:14

"I read somewhere that if you pay £107 or less for an au pair a week that you can register them with HMRC so that they are recognised as not paying tax but still employed. Does anyone know anything about this?"

1. There is no such thing as registering an employee with HMRC.

2. If you pay anyone £107 or more in any week (or £464 in any month if they are monthly paid) you must register as an employer operating PAYE and make a return to HMRC (historically annually but from April it is each time you pay anyone).

3. You will also have to register as an employer operating PAYE and make the same returns if the employee does not confirm to you that his employment by you is his only job and he does not have a pension or certain other benefits.

4. Historically if you were registered as an employer but did not pay someone so that you had to operate 2 or 3 above, you did not report anything to HMRC regarding that person, but again from April you must include them in your reporting each time you pay anyone.

5. Don't believe everything you read, including this grin

6. Do you have a specific reason for asking this quesiton?

Halfawife Fri 11-Jan-13 16:54:32

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I am talking about if you pay less than £107 per week. Do you have to do anything with HMRC and your au pair?

MrAnchovy Fri 11-Jan-13 17:59:35

No.

But make sure you stress that is she takes another job she will be asked if she has a job already, and she must answer that she has.

If she doesn't do that she will underpay tax and due to an inconsistency in the system you could end up fighting HMRC to avoid picking up the bill.

echt Sat 12-Jan-13 06:56:10

We paid 60 pounds pw in 2003. Au pair law was different back then.

whyno Sat 12-Jan-13 07:16:50

I pay £75 a week. Au pair world, where I advertised suggested around £65 but a few people told me they paid more. I know it's less than a lot of people but I can't afford more, it's the rate the au pair system suggests and I advertise up front so I know they're happy with it.
Actually find it quite frustrating (guilt inducing!) when rich people, who could afford nannies and mothers helps, push the prices up way above what they're supposed to be!

NannyPlumIsMyMum Sat 12-Jan-13 07:48:11

Can't believe somebody paid a Mothers Help £150 for 40 hours!

Gosh mine gets that for 20 hours ...

NannyPlumIsMyMum Sat 12-Jan-13 07:55:20

Also , i am not rich but am disabled , poorly and i just really value my Mothers Help and my children .

sally2013 Tue 12-Mar-13 19:02:56

hello all, I'm in looking for an AP for the first time. Has anyone find an AP through matching website like Great AuPair.com? I posted a job there but got tons of replies from people overseas. Am I supposed to apply a visa and fly them here to the States? What if they go AWOL? Anyone has experience in this? Thanks a lot in advance.

nannynick Tue 12-Mar-13 19:43:01

sally - I have no idea what the immigration rules are in the USA but I would say that it is up to the au-pair to arrange the Visa.

A quick Google seems to indicate that there is something called J-1 Visa Program. Looks like you are best to take a look at that and then find an approved Sponsor organisation, who then put you in touch with Au-Pairs.

GreatAupair provides information about how to use their system to find an au-pair and then use the services of one of their partner agencies.

MrAnchovy Wed 13-Mar-13 00:07:34

The USA has a unique system for Au Pairs who can only obtain visas through one of 14 federally-sponsered agencies which charge you (and the au pair) a fortune.

Scarletlips Wed 13-Mar-13 19:55:10

Does anyone have the list of the 14 US au pair agencies by any chance?

Scarletlips Wed 13-Mar-13 19:58:11

Oops, silly me! I just saw the link in Mr Anchovy's message. I've been in conversation with an American au pair on kangaroo aupair. Does it mean that we can't take her on as our au pair as that website is not listed as one of the 14 agencies?

fraktion Wed 13-Mar-13 20:30:43

Scarlet are you in the UK talking to an American? It's highly unlikely they'd be able to come to the UK with or without an agency.

trixibellamum Thu 11-Apr-13 09:43:06

Hiya... I need some help from people with experience of Au pairs.

I'm a shift-working mum with a shift working husband and its difficult to find childcare that matches. Also we never get to go out for the occasional evening as we are remote from family and trustworthy friends.

I'm looking for any advice but more specifically guidance on questionnaires, interviews and contracts... Thanks in advance :0)

ElaineDK Thu 13-Feb-14 13:24:31

Hello, I could recommend you this website I found on the Internet www.findaupair.com

I've worked as an au-pair with families which I found on that website and I must say that I was very satisfied by their service and by their behavior. I hope it helps.

JoanneS2014 Mon 23-Jun-14 14:11:39

For those who always challenge about the national minimum wage for an au pair should look at the government website, as follows:

https://www.gov.uk/au-pairs-employment-law

I hope this is useful for everyone who want to employ an au-pair.

schlafenfreude Mon 23-Jun-14 14:41:20

The problem with that site, Joanne, is that it's based in nothing and trumped by the ECJ, which had been used as precedent in the High Court and employment tribunals.

There is no official au pair scheme any more. There is no definition in law - and that website is not law for all it's a Government information site - and in the absence of that they are automatically employees.

As they live in they may be exempt from NMW but that doesn't make them not employees as gov.uk claim.

JoanneS2014 Tue 24-Jun-14 08:20:22

Thanks for pointing that out. But I think that would be a piece of useful information (although not enforced by law) since there is no other source of guidance available. Would be great if someone can share if they found something else.

Karoleann Tue 24-Jun-14 18:01:12

Considering that court case was several years ago, and the government advice on the page was updated very recently. It's fairly clear that this is the current stance of the government as this is their own website.
If you call HMRC regarding au pairs it is also their position as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now