This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How much do you pay your aupair ?

(44 Posts)
Newtothisstuff Sun 07-Oct-12 18:35:26

I'm back again... I'm still on the hunt for an aupair to start in January
Aupair world is driving me crazy
My dh says I'm being too picky and should at least strike up email conversations with some of them.
I just exchanged a few with a nice enough girl from Italy, when it came to money I said I was looking to pay around the £70-£80 a week mark they would get loads of time off to study, use of car, mobile phone etc etc
She basically laughed at me and said she wants £250 per week and only wants to work 3 days !!
I might be being unreasonable but this sounds far too much, a childminder wouldn't even cost me that for my 2 DD
Do people pay that much or is she taking the absolute piss ???

WinkyWinkola Sun 07-Oct-12 18:38:17

My friend had an au pair. She pays her £70 per week. She works 4 hours every day with the kids, ironing on top of that. The au pair lives in and gets her meals included.

Newtothisstuff Sun 07-Oct-12 18:47:51

That's what I was thinking was about right !! She's definitely taking the piss then !!

Julesnobrain Sun 07-Oct-12 19:17:43

I always put the pocket money amount in the ad ( £90 for an AP plus). I find it helps stop timewasters. It never seems to have inhibited applicants.

blueshoes Sun 07-Oct-12 19:31:24

The Italian girl is living in cloud cuckoo land unless she has some nannying experience.

What you are offering is fine for about 25 hours a week.

I think if you like someone's profile, you should strike up a conversation asap because I typically start about 20 conversations and 10 days later, I am only still corresponding to about 2-3. Either the aupairs drop out of the emails or I do, because they are not suitable. Either way, there is a high attrition rate. It is not personal, just the way it is with online interactions. I never just email one to the exclusion of others, I keep a few on the go at a time.

I don't put the pocket money in the ad, but I put it in my first email to them, together with the hours, start date and period I would like them to stay for. That way, they can decide whether they still want to proceed without my wasting too much time.

StillSquiffy Sun 07-Oct-12 19:44:00

I always put the pay very clearly in the profile.

It just makes life much much simpler because I never ever have to negotiate pay, and the 'entitled' don't bother entering into convos with me...

SomersetONeil Mon 08-Oct-12 06:15:20

£70-80 seems really cheap to me. We paid our Mother's Help £150 and raised it to £180 after nearly a year. That was 40 hours.

£250 for 3 days seems unrealistic. But likewise, £70 seems way too low.

blueshoes Mon 08-Oct-12 08:09:53

Somerset, £70-80 includes food and board. This is standard for aupairs.

SomersetONeil Mon 08-Oct-12 08:22:09

Yes, I know how it works, we had one when we lived in London. £70-80 just seems way too low for me.

ceeveebee Mon 08-Oct-12 08:36:25

Somerset aupairs only work for 4-5 hours a day.
You paid £150 for 40 hours? That is way below minimum wage. How did you get away with that??

SomersetONeil Mon 08-Oct-12 08:54:25

confused That was her in-hand, net pay, as specified by the agency. That's how we 'got away' with it...?

Principality Mon 08-Oct-12 09:37:58

OP, the ammount you suggested seems fine to me.

We pay our AP £65pw, plus benefits (we pay her entrance to sports classes, and buss pass- probably adds up to £75).And for her Christmas present we have paid for her return flights home.

I know lots of her AP friends are paid between £55-£75/80. This is home counties, easy accesss to London.

I would second what another poster said re emailing lots of people. I had a huge list of questions which I would send if an AP contacted me, or if an AP responded to me contacting them first. It enabled me to weed out most unsuitable applicants quickly. I had almost 200 applications and had made the first contact with a lot of APs too. I whittled it down to 5 to Skype interview and then had a really tough choice between two. Reall happy with the decision i made, she is absolutely wonderful.

One of the questions I had on my list was along the lines of what did you exect to be paid. I had responses ranging from £40-£200!

Good Luck.

Kendodd Mon 08-Oct-12 09:43:23

Sorry to butt in, but... how much do you think would be ok for an aupair working about 11 hours a week, living in, en-suite bedroom, all meals? In Devon

Newtothisstuff Mon 08-Oct-12 10:58:31

Thanks for all your help. I'm sticking around the £70-£80 mark this includes room, meals, a car, mobile etc plus a few hours childcare a day with a tiny bit of general cleaning !!

Newtothisstuff Mon 08-Oct-12 10:58:43

I'm in Hampshire btw

alice298 Mon 08-Oct-12 19:07:37

I pay £100 pw for 25 hours and 2 nights babysitting, in London. And I pay £30 a month towards her travel, plus will give her a bonus of a week's pay after 6 months.

lilamy84 Tue 09-Oct-12 12:38:12

Hi could someone help me please? I am new to this too! I am proposing to employ my cousin as an au pair for 12 months to help her gain some child care experience. She is going to live with us (Isle of Man) and have a bedroom that for two nights a week she will have to share with my step-daughter, but because she is family she is fine with that. I propose to pay for food and drink for her and possibly buy a bus pass for her as we live in the sticks. How much do you think I should pay her? I was thinking £70-80 a week. It will be four days from 8am -4pm. Is there anything legal wise I need to ensure is done?

thanks!

forevergreek Tue 09-Oct-12 19:37:50

I think 8 hour days is too long for an au pair. If you want to use a family member as a live in nanny, then you really need to be paying live in nanny rates.
As a ref 10 hr days, 5 days in London as a live in nanny is around the £400 mark

So to allow for diff location and a less day I would say you are looking at £300 ish

A live in nanny also lives in your home, eats your food and drives your car for free, so exactly te same as an au pair. An aupair is more lust for a few hours after school and to lern the culture and language

I would also hate to share a room with someone during my one off even if they are a family member ( unless I'm married to them!) . That and you say your located in the middle of nowhere so you would prob need some perks to actually staying for a year

Ps I have au paired myself ( 10 years ago, abroad). At the time the equivalent of £65 a week ( more like double that today), with a one bed flat included down the road of my own. Exclusive use if a car on and off duty, language lessons paid for and a flight home every 6 months. I worked 3pm-7.30, mon-fri. I stayed for the full 18 month contract. Main duty was teaching the school age children English.

Looster Thu 11-Oct-12 22:34:29

£120 / week for 25-30 hrs inc some cleaning plus 2 eve babysitting which we never use. Plus use of car

Whizkidwithacrazystreak Fri 12-Oct-12 18:52:49

£130 a week for 25-30 hours inc cleaning and ironing. I also paid for some driving lessons and treated myself and her breaky out today and then we had our nails done. I really like my 'mothers help'.

alice298 Mon 17-Dec-12 13:20:40

I pay £100 for 25 hours a week. This includes the cleaning one day a week - as in, proper cleaning and 2 nights babysitting and one night on monitor duty and getting kids up Sat morning so we have a lie in. Bliss. £100 is slightly above average but I think it is madness to underpay your au pair who looks after your most precious possession ...

MrAnchovy Mon 17-Dec-12 14:49:04

Note that if you pay more than £107 in any week you must register for and operate PAYE, including from April 2013 operating Real Time Information.

MrAnchovy Mon 17-Dec-12 14:50:55

oops, try again:

Note that if in any week you pay £107 or more you must register for and operate PAYE, including from April 2013 operating Real Time Information.

LittleCloudSarah Mon 07-Jan-13 15:56:43

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Halfawife Fri 11-Jan-13 10:47:07

I read somewhere that if you pay £107 or less for an au pair a week that you can register them with HMRC so that they are recognised as not paying tax but still employed. Does anyone know anything about this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now