This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Very basic and probably stupid question about nanny rates in London

(13 Posts)
forevergreek Tue 02-Oct-12 19:15:33

I think a 9-3 job could work v well for someone with school children ( so they start 9.15 after dropping own children at school and leave just before pick up)

Or a nanny with own child. Many nannies will take a small pat it in exchange for bringing child to work with them. Shorter hours may work better for them as they have time alone with own child after. Although maybe 2 long days may work better than 3 short as people can find work easier on the other 3 ( 8-6pm)

eeyore12 Tue 02-Oct-12 18:17:57

Hi emeraldgirl1 yes I am, live in Surrey not far from where you are looking to move to, so if you are interested please do contact me at amanda@stoneleighbabymassage.co.uk. I would be looking to return to work from the end of April next year but that is flexible.

louloubelle Tue 02-Oct-12 17:52:56

I live in Putney and pay my lovely nanny £13.50 gross per hour. She works 2 days a week, and does other stuff the other days, ie studying...

Asmywhimsytakesme Tue 02-Oct-12 17:47:37

Have you considered an au pair for later? When I work from home our ap looks after dc and I pop in and out (feed, eat meals with them) etc. I wouldn't have done this with a tiny baby though - my dc now over one.

emeraldgirl1 Tue 02-Oct-12 17:22:13

Thanks eeyore - you don't happen to be based out of SW London, do you?!! wink Yes, I am able to be v flexible on days so I think that will help me out.

schmalex - wow that would really work for me - hadn't thought about the CM option as not sure I want my vv young baby to be with a CM but if the other kids being minded were after school that might really work.

MrAnchovy - I love your name. Thanks for the correction, yes I think I mean a part-time nanny!!! Need to get my terminology right... smile

eeyore12 Tue 02-Oct-12 17:18:32

Hi this is the kind of job I would be interested in when I return to work next year after maternity leave ( with or without bringing my baby) I have just done some playing with mr anchovy tax calculater and if you could offer say 7 hours a day at £12 gross a hour so the cost to you including the employers ni would be £267 then it is def something I think a few nannies would be interested in. It would also help if you could be flexible on days so that the nanny had the chance to find a two longer day job to fit if they needed to.

schmalex Tue 02-Oct-12 16:46:27

I'm also freelance and use a childminder who looks after my DS from 9-3 two days a week. She doesn't look after any other children during this time as she mainly does before/after school care so it's pretty much the same as a nanny (apart from me having to drop and pick up from her house). I found when I advertised that a lot of childminders had availability for these sorts of hours.

CMs also have the advantage that they're self employed, so you don't have the hassle of sorting out their tax/NI and being an employer.

MrAnchovy Tue 02-Oct-12 16:42:11

Do you mean a nanny share? This is where a nanny looks after children from two families at once. I would say it would be almost impossible to find another family to do this with for only 2 or 3 short days a week.

Or do you mean a part time nanny? So she works for you 2 or 3 days a week for whatever hours you agree, and works for another family (or not) the other 2 or 3 days a week.

emeraldgirl1 Tue 02-Oct-12 16:09:03

Oh, that's really good advice, thank you! Hadn't really thought about the specifics of what hours would work better so you get a greater choice of nannies. I can be flexible-ish on exact times and days so I guess that would help.

Rubirosa Tue 02-Oct-12 16:02:54

Nanny-shares pay the nanny more but obviously cost less to each family.

9am-3pm might be a bit of an awkward time for a nanny as they're used to working 10-12 hour days. It might appeal to someone with an afterschool job, or a nanny with school-aged children of her own though. Alternatively think about whether you could offer 2 days 8am-6pm so someone with a 3 day job might be interested.

emeraldgirl1 Tue 02-Oct-12 15:52:42

Thanks Rubirosa - do you think it would be less per hour if I offered more hours? Do nanny-shares cost more or less? Please forgive utter ignorance.

Rubirosa Tue 02-Oct-12 15:50:47

Given that it is part time and a nanny share I'd guess £14+ gross an hour.

emeraldgirl1 Tue 02-Oct-12 15:43:32

... how much are they?!

We are moving to either Wimbledon or Richmond/Twickenham area so not central London.

I work from home (and keep being told how lucky I am to have a job that will combine well with a baby, as if I am going to be able to work manically to my very tight deadlines with a newborn!!!) and because I am freelance and have no maternity cover I am desperately going to need to get back to some kind of working day as soon as reasonable after my first baby is born. I have a helpful (ish) mum and MIL but v much doubt they will be able to help out for more than a day every couple of weeks, which isn't really going to solve the problem.

Anyone know how much a nanny-share might cost, ideally 2.5 to 3 days a week, and probably looking at around 9 to 3pm each day.

I am only 16w so may be crazy to be investigating this already and hate the thought I'm jinxing anything sad But we do need to start budgeting and saving if necc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now