Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

How to find childcare for adhoc days

(11 Posts)
IwishIwasmoreorganised Tue 02-Oct-12 20:26:27

Are there any out of school clubs around you?

The ones here are happy for ad hoc attendance providing they have space (which they always seem to have)

Tweet2tweet Tue 02-Oct-12 20:25:33

You sound great Sarah, but I'm based in Scotland sad Thanks again for all tips, will def get an advert posted.

lechatnoir Tue 02-Oct-12 20:23:41

Speak to local childminders - I am always happy to consider ad hoc work as I rarely take on more than a couple of regulars and know quite a few others who also have at least 1 space kept free for this very reason. If you're in Kent message me otherwise definitely speak to a few or put an ad on childcare.co.uk

highg Tue 02-Oct-12 19:56:56

I am available for ad hoc work on Thur/Fri and evenings. Here is my ad:

Dear Families,

I am a nanny and I love my job. I am 29, British, and currently look after two lovely boys Monday to Wednesday. I am looking for work on THURSDAYS and/or FRIDAYS and am looking for anything between 8-18 hours. I live in Highgate but I can travel if required.

I am an ex-primary school teacher and also have a degree in Childhood and Youth. I am Ofsted registered, have 10 years childcare experience, updated my paediatric first aid in April, have a clean CRB check and I can provide excellent references. I love children and enjoy making them happy and helping them to learn. I have lots of fun ideas and provide a wide variety of activities for all the children I look after. I am friendly, caring and at all
times - professional.

I am also available for evening babysitting.

Please email highgatenanny@hotmail.co.uk for a C.V. or phone number.

Thank you,

Sarah.

MummytoMog Tue 02-Oct-12 13:23:08

We had a lovely recommendation from a mumsnetter for www.likeminders.co.uk and so far they've been brilliant. We are based in outer London, so pretty accessible though, don't know where you are. We don't use any permanent childcare at all, we have a local childminder who is happy to have the bratlings for whole or half days (but sometimes has to say no) and we use likeminders for occasional days. They are £8 an hour, but if you join the booking fee is teeny. For two kids, £8 an hour is brilliant, but less good if you have one I suppose.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 02-Oct-12 12:54:23

Put an advert up on netmums - gumtree and nannyjob - also some nannies like me do ad hoc work

Or try agencies but prob have to pay £15/20 on top daily for their fee

Tweet2tweet Tue 02-Oct-12 11:41:23

DD is 18months old. I didn't know that they didn't need to be registered if they come to house. Thanks for that.

Gumby Tue 02-Oct-12 11:39:13

You could put a notice up in local paper or shop

If they come to your house & babysit they don't need to be registered

How old are your children?

Tweet2tweet Tue 02-Oct-12 11:12:03

We have tried to find one but don't seem to be getting anywhere. The ones we spoke to seem to want a permanent childcare arrangement.

We know one person but she isn't registered etc. A family friend who has brought up her own kids, but we don't really know her very well.

Gumby Tue 02-Oct-12 11:08:29

What about a babysitter?

Tweet2tweet Tue 02-Oct-12 11:07:13

Hi there
My DH and I have a dilemma. DH does some day time and evening teaching but this is never confirmed until a few weeks before and changes each year. It is also only during term time and is 1 or 2 days a week for either a 5 or 10 week period.
Does anyone know whether adhoc childcare exisits and if so how I could go about organising this? We don't really have any family living close by and can't afford nursery for more than the 2 days we have (as this childcare is adhoc too we can't afford to pay for the full year).
Any tips/advice welcome.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now