This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How much to charge for babysitting?

(10 Posts)
sleeplessinderbyshire Wed 03-Oct-12 16:24:59

PS on holiday in devon last yr we paid a very very experienced ex nanny £10 an hr with £30 minimum booking so think it depends on location

sleeplessinderbyshire Wed 03-Oct-12 16:23:01

I usually pay about £7.50 an hour. Our two regular sitters work at dd's nursery and seem delightd by this. The first one aked for £5 an hr but that seems mean so i usually think minimum £15 (We often just need 1-2 hr wraparound childcare due to work) then if say 3hrs i give £20 etc. If she has to do bathtime etc i give more. Went out leaving both dds for first time last week and paid more as baby only 11 weeks and might have been a pain

I charge 8pph to undercut everyone else

I live in North London (Average price is £10ph)
I have 8 years childcare experiance (nannying)
Have a full clear crb
First aid certificate
I'm able to get myself home (Bus and getting a taxi doesn't bother me)

I get a decent amount of work tbh, probably 3 friday nights and 2 saturdays per month (often more)

Erinydwi Tue 02-Oct-12 23:35:51

Yes, I have a full clean driving license.

To be honest, I am not sure what the demand is. I was just planning to set up a profile on a childcare website and see what happens, but before I do that I need to have some idea of what is acceptable to charge.

MrsBranestawm Tue 02-Oct-12 17:55:43

Questions, OP...

Do you drive? Being able to get yourself to jobs and back home after them is attractive to employers.

Is there a big demand where you live? Or is the demand met by teenagers who charge about £10-20 a night and are dropped off and picked up by their parents?

GeorgeEliot Tue 02-Oct-12 17:40:01

I pay between £5 and £7 an hour depending on the age and experience of the babysitter.

Erinydwi Tue 02-Oct-12 16:20:12

Thanks for the responses. £6 even though it is below the NMW?

GW297 Tue 02-Oct-12 15:07:56

£6 per hour before midnight and £8 per hour afterwards.

As you have minimal experience I would suggest around min wage and the increase it as you get more experience

Erinydwi Mon 01-Oct-12 17:35:04

Hi

I am wanting to start babysitting to earn some extra cash but am not sure what the going rate is as I have only babysat for family and friends in the past. I have never received more than £20 for a full nights babysitting but am aware that I can probably expect more than that when working for strangers and that perhaps an hourly rate would be more appropriate.

I am a 21 year old female, living in Wales with previous experience working with children other than through babysitting and have a full CRB.

Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now