Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

How much to charge for babysitting?

(10 Posts)
sleeplessinderbyshire Wed 03-Oct-12 16:24:59

PS on holiday in devon last yr we paid a very very experienced ex nanny £10 an hr with £30 minimum booking so think it depends on location

sleeplessinderbyshire Wed 03-Oct-12 16:23:01

I usually pay about £7.50 an hour. Our two regular sitters work at dd's nursery and seem delightd by this. The first one aked for £5 an hr but that seems mean so i usually think minimum £15 (We often just need 1-2 hr wraparound childcare due to work) then if say 3hrs i give £20 etc. If she has to do bathtime etc i give more. Went out leaving both dds for first time last week and paid more as baby only 11 weeks and might have been a pain

I charge 8pph to undercut everyone else

I live in North London (Average price is £10ph)
I have 8 years childcare experiance (nannying)
Have a full clear crb
First aid certificate
I'm able to get myself home (Bus and getting a taxi doesn't bother me)

I get a decent amount of work tbh, probably 3 friday nights and 2 saturdays per month (often more)

Erinydwi Tue 02-Oct-12 23:35:51

Yes, I have a full clean driving license.

To be honest, I am not sure what the demand is. I was just planning to set up a profile on a childcare website and see what happens, but before I do that I need to have some idea of what is acceptable to charge.

MrsBranestawm Tue 02-Oct-12 17:55:43

Questions, OP...

Do you drive? Being able to get yourself to jobs and back home after them is attractive to employers.

Is there a big demand where you live? Or is the demand met by teenagers who charge about £10-20 a night and are dropped off and picked up by their parents?

GeorgeEliot Tue 02-Oct-12 17:40:01

I pay between £5 and £7 an hour depending on the age and experience of the babysitter.

Erinydwi Tue 02-Oct-12 16:20:12

Thanks for the responses. £6 even though it is below the NMW?

GW297 Tue 02-Oct-12 15:07:56

£6 per hour before midnight and £8 per hour afterwards.

As you have minimal experience I would suggest around min wage and the increase it as you get more experience

Erinydwi Mon 01-Oct-12 17:35:04

Hi

I am wanting to start babysitting to earn some extra cash but am not sure what the going rate is as I have only babysat for family and friends in the past. I have never received more than £20 for a full nights babysitting but am aware that I can probably expect more than that when working for strangers and that perhaps an hourly rate would be more appropriate.

I am a 21 year old female, living in Wales with previous experience working with children other than through babysitting and have a full CRB.

Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now