Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Ever used a night nanny?

(12 Posts)
Flosie1989 Mon 01-Oct-12 13:04:48

Hi all.

Has anyone on here ever used a night nanny? If so where did you find them from? What was your experience?

I have a 5 month old dd and for the past 8 weeks ish she has only allowed me to have 2-3 hours sleep a night. It's only a matter of time before my batteries run out!

When she wakes its not for food or nappy change etc it's just for comfort. It was easier when she was a newborn!

This is the last thing I can think of trying. Sorry for the moan!

forevergreek Mon 01-Oct-12 13:14:50

Have you thought about a sleep trainer? They will either come in for a few nights and help solve sleep awakings or you can even have just telephone/ email communication with them.

This will hopefully help te constant awakenings rather than someone else just taking over.

A night nanny will give you a break though. So, I would suggest maybe a sleep trainer who will hopefully get baby sleeping from 11pm feed to morning, and then if you still want a couple of full recovering from lack of sleep evenings. A nanny will come in say 9pm and you can go straight to sleep and they will feed around midnight and then settle through night if they wake ( but hopefully they wont)

mrswishywashy Mon 01-Oct-12 15:12:08

I am a maternity nurse who does night nannying and sleep consultancies. Usually I find it better to have a record of up to three days and then the parents and I can figure out a plan of how to get baby sleeping better. Inbox me if you'd like more information.

Flosie1989 Mon 01-Oct-12 19:19:39

Thank you both smile

Sleep training would be very good I think. Although I'd like to wait until DD is at least 6 months old.

Hello

I am a night nanny covering all of the midlands really I care for both singles and multiples and have done anything from ad-hoc nights for families when they can afford them so they get a nights sleep to 1-3 regular nights.

I did twins last summer where they had me 2 nights a week and another night nanny 5 nights a week.

We are able to take over care and you get a nights sleep, if breastfeeding once established can express and we give bottle in night or if you chose to still breastfeed baby is brought to you and you feed and then we settle them back to sleep, do nappy changes etc.

I also give advise on routines, baby care, basic medical advice (I am a qualified childrens nurse), post partum health (obv basic advice).

I also do sleep training/consultancy type stuff

any questions please do ask

Matesnotdates Mon 01-Oct-12 23:03:38

I have used night nannies - highly recommended! The night nanny we used was a sleep trainer too. There is or was an agency devoted to night nannies. Whereabouts are you?

mrswishywashy Tue 02-Oct-12 07:57:42

I take a holistic approach to sleep training and as such always make sure the days are running well before approaching the nights. From what I've found slightly adjusting the days usually leads to better nights. I won't do nights until I know the babies day is consistent and encouraging to healthy sleep. I'm in the London area if you are interested in more helpfrom me.

Flosie1989 Tue 02-Oct-12 08:17:37

I'm in Chichester, West Sussex.

Thank you all for this information. It might be that a telephone conversation regarding sleep training is the way forward for now. smile

Matesnotdates Tue 02-Oct-12 22:03:38

I agree with mrswishywashy - and that is what our night nanny did. Basically get a good healthy nap cycle going in the day and then work on the nights. We never did naps after 3.30pm - that helped too.

Was going to recommend my NN but Chichester too far.

ghislaine Tue 02-Oct-12 22:44:41

I used a sleep trainer through the Night Nannies agency after six months of my son waking every 45 mins-2 hours throughout the night. I was close to breaking when I called them. The sleep trainer worked a miracle on my son that I wouldn't have believed possible. He now sleeps from 7-6.30ish - occasionally he wakes with teething pain but it's rare and he can settle back to sleep in his cot very quickly after comforting. His daytime sleep also improved tremendously and he started taking in a lot more milk during the day rather than throughout the night.

The Night Nannies agency won't do sleep training on babies under six months and they have to be on solids too.

I also saw an NHS sleep consultant for a bit but that was over a period of weeks and by the time my appointment came round the sleep trainer had already done her magic so I just got some advice around bedtime routines and preventing early wake-ups from her (also very useful). Perhaps your GP might be able to refer you to someone on the NHS?

DerbyNottsLeicsNightNanny Wed 03-Oct-12 19:13:37

I'm a night nanny and I'm of the opinion that if you can afford night time care and/or sleep training then go for it! All the parents that I work for say it is money well spent as they just feel so much better even if they are only getting one decent nights sleep per week.

I'm currently working for two families both of whom have twins - the parents say that getting a good nights sleep means that the daytimes go more smoothly as they are not as stressed and tired.

I have a couple of contacts who do sleep consultations by phone - PM me if you would like details. I hope that your little lady lets you get some sleep soon!

I do sleep consultations via phone.

but think you may be in the area that blondeshavemorefun on here covers so she may be able to help you - she is very experience nanny and night nanny and know she is in Kent and covers sussex as well (only as I used to live in sussex and see she visits some of the places I used to love going to)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now