This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Picture the scene....

(10 Posts)
fivesacrowd Fri 28-Sep-12 17:54:02

It's 3.30pm and lovely, kind, 40ish cm is waiting with her 3dc and 2 mindees for 3rd mindee to come out of school - she's already been at other school a mile away to pick up and been home to collect oldest dc before walking to do last pick up because traffic is horrendous. Class comes out, cm moves forward and waves across at teacher who says "there's your gran - off you go". Argh - Ok so it was me. I thought I looked a bit windswept but apparently I looked like a gran. BTW nothing against grans - it's just I'm not and I hope not to be for a very long time.

Gumby Fri 28-Sep-12 17:58:20

Oh no!

HolyAutumnGoldBatman Fri 28-Sep-12 18:03:52

oh dear! grin

How old is the mindees mum? Perhaps the teacher thinks she is 20 and you were only very young when you had her......

Pancakeflipper Fri 28-Sep-12 18:10:11

Oh.

<giggles my head off>

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Fri 28-Sep-12 18:13:58

grin

One of mindee's classmates came out of school yesterday and asked mindee if I was his nan hmmblushgrin.

I very crossly cheerily told him no, I'm his childminder who was nearing the end of a very long week. His mum didn't even blush. I must make more effort to look the 33 years that I am...and btw, mindee's mum is 6 years older than me! not I'm feeling insecure

fivesacrowd Fri 28-Sep-12 18:20:48

Ha that's cheered me up. It's not just me then. Next week I'm coming home to do my hair and fix my make up before I go near school. Probably won't make me look less gran like but at least I'll feel better for it. Hey, it's Friday night wine o'clock!

HolyAutumnGoldBatman Fri 28-Sep-12 18:24:36

I was with the DCharges at playgroup once and an older lady (she really was a granny) was chatting to me and I told her 'I'm not mum, I'm their nanny' and she thought I meant their Grandma!

I was 22.

OldCatLady Fri 28-Sep-12 20:36:57

Hahaha!! I agree probably thought mum was young mum and you were young mum. Lots of 40yr old grand around these days!!

My aunt was a mum at 16, a gran at 34!!!

If its any consolation I'm always bring mistaken for being my charges mum...I AM not old enough to be his mum, unless you think giving birth at 13 is ok!!

NannyR Fri 28-Sep-12 20:58:09

I had a nanny job in Manchester last year. On several occasions I introduced myself as the child's nanny only to have comments like "you look great for your age". Turns out that nanny usually means grandma in that area. I'm only in my early thirties though! Can't believe people seriously thought I was her grandmother.

eurycantha Sat 29-Sep-12 22:06:35

When I was a young nanny ( long ago ) people would say " You're young to be a granny" now they say go to your nan,gran etc.sob ,my friend is my age and is a granny,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now