Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Childminder charges for part days

(11 Posts)
Boboli Thu 27-Sep-12 17:10:59

Hi - I've just got a new job which is 30 hours over 5 days. I haven't had the conversation with them about which hours on which day yet - to be honest, I wanted 4 days but this is the compromise as they need someone in from mon to fri.

Before I talk about hours with new employer, can anyone tell me if childminders or nurseries would charge me for a whole day if my children did part of a day in childcare? eg if my DCs were in for a few hours in morning, would I still pay for whole day of fees?

This is going to make an impact on whether I accept the job or not!!

Any advice gratefully received. (DD1 is at nursery (9-12) and DD2 is 1 year old).

YoullLaughAboutItOneDay Thu 27-Sep-12 17:13:47

Round here, childminders generally charge at or around full day rate - because they can't normally dovetail to have other children for the other times and lose money otherwise. Nurseries have higher numbers and more flexibility, so we normally have a reduction, but not half price IYSWIM.

Not sure if it varies by area.

HSMM Thu 27-Sep-12 17:36:08

Depends on the CM/nursery. You will need to phone around your local area.

Tommychoochoo Thu 27-Sep-12 17:47:05

I checked this when I went back to work with DS3. I work 9.30-2.30 (DS1, DS2 at school) and wanted a nursery/cm that I could drop off just after 9 after school run and pick up just before 3, all charged a full day as I'm taking a full days place for another child, I was offered morning or afternoons 7-1 or 1-6 but really love the school drop off/pick up. Ended up paying full days and most of my wage went on CM. But now all 3DS in school love my school hours jobsmile

sleeplessinderbyshire Thu 27-Sep-12 17:49:18

my nursery offers mornings (8-1) afternoons (1-5.30/6) school days (9-3 but for aged 3-5 only) and full days (8-530/6).

A morning/afternoon costs £17, a whole day costs £32 (no idea how much a "school day" costs as when my DD does these they are free as she is 3

Tommychoochoo Thu 27-Sep-12 17:50:42

Sorry just realised you asked about a few hours in the morning my CM charged £25 for 7-1 morning session

caz05 Thu 27-Sep-12 17:55:26

All depends on the child minder. Mine doesn't charge like that and just the hours my Son is there. He currently does 9-2 and I work 9.30-1.30 so all works out perfectly. I know she has some kids purely after school so our arrangement works for us both

Runoutofideas Thu 27-Sep-12 18:51:34

I am a childminder and I only charge for the hours that children are contracted to come to me. This means I have a combination of one/two or three little ones at a time. It works for me as I don't necessarily want to be full all the time. Worth ringing round to check....

Boboli Thu 27-Sep-12 19:06:15

Thanks everyone - looks like I have some ringing round to do tomorrow!

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Sat 29-Sep-12 08:31:51

I think it might depend where you live.

When I was a cm in London, all my mindees did full days (8-6) because their parents all worked full days.

Now I live in south Wales and parents using cms here seem to have more flexible working hours or use family for at least some of their childcare.

I've always charged for the contracted hours. At the moment I have 12 on my books which does make life quite complicated at times but I'd have no work if I only charged for a full day.

reddaisy Sat 29-Sep-12 08:42:56

I pay my CM for the hours DS is there but it would depend on the area. I love the CM by the way and DS, 1, lights up when he sees her. I used a wonderful nursery with DD but the CM is much cheaper and more flexible. For us this has been the next best thing to having family look after him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now