This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Londoners, how much do you pay your live-out nanny? Help me decide if I should give our nanny a raise.

(71 Posts)
AubergineKenobi Thu 03-May-12 11:04:39

How much do you pay your London nanny net (or gross if you know that figure)? How much have you raised their salary each year? Do you decalre every penny you pay them?

It would be really helpful to know how other London nanny employers pay their nannies as ours is asking for a significant raise and we do not think we can afford it. We might have to say no but there is no point in doing that if all other nannies are going to ask the same.

Our nanny is live-out. She works 8.30am to 6.30pm Mon - Thurs. She has 9 weeks paid leave each year (a big perk I would think, although all leave is in school holidays). We have two children, the youngest is in nursery 9-12 each day so the nanny has three hours when she is paid but does not have a lot to do (cleaning the childrens' rooms etc but nothing else).

When she started with us just under 3 years ago we agreed £10 per hour net and we decalred it all and paid her tax and NI. At her two annual reviews since then we have given her £200 bonus and offered her £15 more a week (not declared, so she now gets £30 a week cash-in-hand). This means she gets just under £11 an hour net. She has asked for a raise to £12 an hour.

Is she asking too much? Her job is actually easier now due to youngest going to morning nursery. Could we easily find another nanny eager to work £10 an hour net? Or have nanny's salaries risen considerable in the last 3 years (DH and I have been on a pay freeze since 2009!).

MissStrawberry Fri 14-Jun-13 19:03:07

OP what did you end up doing?

ghislaine Wed 12-Jun-13 15:25:56

"Average" is surely different from "all"...

TeamSouthfields Wed 12-Jun-13 14:35:02

Normal average London nanny wages are £10ph net...

I look after four children.. 13 month old, 4 year old and two 6 year olds..
In skool holidays as well

I get 6 weeks holiday..

I am paid £11 net ...

Ur nanny is taking the mickey!!!

Wickedgirl Wed 12-Jun-13 12:59:51

I am a nanny and I too have always had all of my tax and NI declared and paid. I have over 20 experience and currently on £12 net per hour, nursery duties only. I get the standard 5.6 weeks holiday a year.

ghislaine Wed 12-Jun-13 11:54:13

But still a useful thread. It's good for parents and nannies alike to share their experiences of pay and conditions in the current climate. Otherwise the "all nannies in London get £10 p/h net" juggernaut just rolls on and on....

I love to know what the OP ended up doing though!

childcarehell Wed 12-Jun-13 10:12:48

£9.50 p/h gross, maximum we can afford but sweetened with 7.5 weeks holiday (we're teachers)

HappyAsEyeAm Tue 11-Jun-13 20:44:18

Zombie thread

nannyE Tue 11-Jun-13 13:16:40

She is payed waaay to much! How she found you?I want a boss like you to! She is lucky to have you. For that money I'll do much more extra...cooking, cleaning, ironing,..I don't get that amount of money and my holidays aren't payd plus i do lots of cooking/cleaning/ironing for baby and family and I get way les then her...

ghislaine Tue 11-Jun-13 11:42:24

Pay relativities aside, the key question for me is why your nanny thinks she is entitled to such a big pay rise (approx 10%)? That is a lot when her duties have actually lessened. It's well over the rate of inflation and a surprising request when many people are experiencing pay freezes. Has she become better qualified? Is she proposing to do more housework? She sounds out of touch. I am planning to offer our nanny a pay rise soon, but more in the region of 5% and that is because there will soon be 2 children in our family.

We recruited our nany through an agency about a year ago (SE London). We pay ours £10 p/h gross (any pay tax, NI, SSP etc) but we received a lot of cvs for nannies around the 5-8 year experience mark whose agency-recommended pay rate was £8-£9 gross p/h. I find it ridiculous that all nannies should expect to receive the same pay - it is a market, like any other, and the pay rate should depend on market conditions.

Sunny25 Tue 11-Jun-13 00:37:04

I work for 2 families, it's not a nanny share. My main family pay me £11.50 net, plus bonuses. My other family pay me £14.50 net, but no bonuses. They all pay my taxes, I receive payslips with all the details. I have not had to ask for pay a raise yet, they usually offer one before I get there. I have worked for them for 4-5 yrs now. The reason why I get paid £14.50net with my second family is due to the arrival of baby number 3, I also sometimes care for Dads son from previous marriage. Nursery duties for both families.

A new nanny would probably be cheaper then a nanny you've had for years. If I were to start a new job I would go for £11net hr, £12net hr if I could get it.

Unlike many jobs nannies regularly tell each other how much they get paid, this my be the source of all your/her problem. Or maybe she feels she is taking on to many responsibility in the home then the norm.

I work in SW London.

Giosveltina Sun 16-Sep-12 18:00:47

We live in North London (zone 3) and have paid our nanny 9.50 net per hour this year. She does 40 hours, has unlimited paid sickness leave and 4 weeks paid holidays. All declared and taxes fully paid.
She has now asked for an increase to £10 net per hour, which we agreed. We have interviewed a lot of people and out of many only 2 asked above £10 net per hour (both 40+ years old, with many years of experience and British). Hope this helps.

NotAChocolateRaisin Sun 16-Sep-12 12:12:32

sorry, and £400-£450 i believe is the high normal for live out

NotAChocolateRaisin Sun 16-Sep-12 12:11:43

Your Nanny is EXTREMELY well paid - from my calculations she is recieving £530 net a week. The norm is £350-400 (live in) and thats with just the standard 3-4 weeks holiday.
I'm sorry but she seems to be taking the p*ss asking for a raise. Especially a "significant" one!

kazza73 Sun 16-Sep-12 03:16:57

Paid more than she deserved in my opinion. Ok she might be a modern Mary Poppins, but good nanny jobs with lovely families are very scarce so I think she should realise how lucky she is & concentrate on the job she 's paid to do.

HolyParalympicGoldBatman Sat 15-Sep-12 14:56:41

This is an old thread from a few months back, hopefully the OP has made her decision now!

callaird Sat 15-Sep-12 10:02:47

I have been a nanny for 26 years. I have always had my entire tax and national insurance paid by my employers. I have never been asked to work 'cash in hand'! I am really surprised so many do!

Be aware that if you are found out, you will have to pay back the entire amount you owe, plus a fine of around £3000 and they will check into every penny you have paid your nanny by cheque or bank transfer, for example, my kitty money for this month was £600, paid by bank transfer from my employer, if I didn't keep records of this, they would assume it was for over time or a bonus and want tax paid on it!! Around £150, over 12 months £1800 to find. (My kitty money isn't always this high!)

I have, however, not always declared babysitting money. Not saying it is right!

Victoria2002 Sat 15-Sep-12 09:45:17

Shoulda said "net"

Victoria2002 Sat 15-Sep-12 09:42:49

I started on £10ph and got £10.50 after a year, plus normally a gift equal to a weeks pay each Xmas...I do think a nanny should receive an increase each year in principle (so should you of course). You could easily replace her for £10ph, but then you'd loose the continuity etc of your valued employee.

cocorosie Sat 15-Sep-12 09:21:41

You are paying your nanny far too much! Only part time nannies or nannies in very demanding positions with 3 months traveling with the family earn higher than £10 net. The holidays you offer are a major perk too. Sometimes nannies think that you can't live without them so they take advantage of this fact.

Our nanny has been with us 2 years, we pay her market rate, 8am to 6:30pm Monday to Friday £8.50 net. When our 2nd started Montessori we negotiated that she cooks our dinner and does all the laundry, takes out rubbish and walks the dog.

A friend of ours pays their French nanny £400 net live out for 7:30 to 7:30 m-f. They were trying cut her pay after 3 years because their child was going to nursery mornings. This is not nice though. It's important to treat the people who look after our children with respect.

If you call some agencies and ask them if they could find you someone with all taxes paid and £9 net for a full time pure nanny position and 9 weeks paid holiday they will send you many candidates. Your nanny would struggle to find a position with a nice family paying what you are paying. Try a few agencies www.littleoneslondon.co.uk www.edennannies.co.uk www.imperialnanies.co.uk

You can't pay more than you can afford and you don't have too. If you are a nice, caring family you should have a nanny who values this.

zadigeist Fri 11-May-12 19:13:15

She's asking too much. Bit of a princess. Perhaps she knows a few nannies who work for very rich e.g. Russian families who I understand pay very high but against the normal London rate, she is having a laugh. Wish her well with her looking elsewhere, I'd be tempted to do the same!

We pay £460 gross per week for a 40 hour week in C/SE London (8-6 Mon-Thurs), although in fact she works about 36 hours a week because she usually gets to leave early. Sole charge of a 17mo. We just increased that from £440. That equates to about £360 net for her, so £9-10 net. We also pay for her monthly travelcard, which is £112. She gets 5 weeks' paid holiday. We give her occasional bonuses (a week's pay at Christmas, £150 on the anniversary of starting work) and I think generally are pretty good employers.
Your nanny sounds hard work!

ChrissieLC Wed 09-May-12 16:19:01

OMG nannys around here are paid £6.5 to £7.5 net per hour! Get a nanny from a different area! (my area is only 25 mins train from london!! herts/beds)

She is asking for too much. The more you give the more some people take. Most peoples salarays are going down, not up. There are 8 nannys to every 1 job here, people that would leap at the opportunity of being paid £10 nph. Declare what you do pay her and make sure she realises how lucky she is!

MrAnchovy Tue 08-May-12 20:34:29

Nick there is no restriction on the length of time a person may be engaged as an agency worker, but for 2 reasons these arrangements are often short-term:

1. One of the key benefits of using an agency worker is flexibility - in particular there is no entitlement to redundancy pay. If you don't need the flexibility there is little need to pay the premium

2. People often take agency work (as opposed to genuine temporary work) only when they cannot find an employed role. This is partly because the rates tend to be lower than an employer would pay - bear in mind that 12.07% comes off the rate for holiday pay, and another 13.8% for employers NI so even before allowing for overheads and profit for the agency plus some risk allowance for maternity pay, bad debts etc. that £11.50ph has become £9ph gross.

thomasbodley Tue 08-May-12 10:18:37

I'm not remotely surprised about the barrister's nanny, Mrskbpw. I suspect a fair few of my own barrister friends are paying cash in hand for "babysitting". It is one of the great urban myths that barristers are loaded; cashflow problems are a nightmare even for those with a decade's call.

I also know for a fact that many of my self-employed friends have "runners" on the payroll (ie tax-deductible members of staff) whose duties, in practice, are almost wholly domestic and childcare.

Grey economy, innit. As Aubergine says, if people had to declare these, even the six figure households are going to look elsewhere for childcare and cleaners.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 08-May-12 09:22:14

really mr a?? sounds so weird to me - always thought a nanny could only be employed by a family

apologizes yummmummy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now