This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Anyone claiming for free milk? some advice please

(41 Posts)
MUM2BLESS Fri 20-Apr-12 13:19:39

Hello lovely people..

Thinking of claiming for free milk for under 5s. Do I need to let the parents know? Some of mine provide all food and drink. One of the little ones does not bring milk to my house only food and jucie and water bottle. Another one does.

I am thinking of asking if the first child mentioned drinks milk?

What did you do when ordering milk?

Thank you

unlucky83 Fri 22-Mar-13 20:50:28

Titchyboomboom - meant to say they have to charge that because cool milk must make money some how ... do your own claim!
I like that we support the local milkman... and he doesn't take the mickey - it is more than you pay in supermarkets but it is delivered and we can only get and store 1pt sized bottles. One of the options in the survey was to have a central distribution company...which I found really sad...

unlucky83 Fri 22-Mar-13 20:43:56

Just received this e-mail from the NMRU ....

Important information about Scotts Distribution Ltd from the Department of Health
We are writing to inform you that, with immediate effect, the Nursery Milk Reimbursement Unit has suspended claims for Nursery Milk made by Scotts Distribution Ltd until further notice. This also applies to the new company Milk For Free Ltd.

What is the NMRU?

We are the official Nursery Milk Reimbursement Unit and we run the Nursery Milk Scheme on behalf of the Department of Health. We are responsible for reimbursing the cost of the milk provided to children under the scheme. We have nothing to do with milk deliveries.

Nursery Milk Scheme – claiming correctly

As a setting registered with the Nursery Milk Scheme, it is your responsibility to ensure that the amount of milk claimed for is correct even if you have your milk supplied through an agent.

Please remember: the Nursery Milk Scheme entitles registered childcare settings to claim for one free drink of milk (1/3 of a pint of heat-treated cow’s milk) each day for children under five who attend for two or more hours a day. For children under one year old, this is given as infant formula. You can still claim for children who are absent without prior notice (e.g. off sick for less than a week). It is important to note that, for children who stay all day, the scheme only provides one free drink of milk, not one in the morning and another in the afternoon

Visit the Nursery Milk website www.nurserymilk.co.uk for more information about the scheme and to look at the FAQs for additional help. Should you require further assistance please call the helpline on 0844 991 4444

Nursery Milk Reimbursement Unit (NMRU).

Should say I do the claim for a playgroup and do it directly through NMRU website every month ...it is really easy - you need average no of children per day, no of days open and how much milk you bought - and they refund directly into our bank account - just keep your receipts/invoices (you should also display an A3(!) poster you are supposed to print it out from their website but when I told them I didn't have an A3 printer they sent me a copy in the post) We get our milk delivered by local milkman and I only claim for what we buy - which is always a lot less than the allowance...never saw the point of using an agency...there does appear to be limited checks being made ...
In fact they did a survey in summer about the best way of changing the system ...eg some places were claiming milk at 90p+ per pint!
(actually the only thing I do find frustrating is you can't claim for the month until the end of the month - so eg at Christmas when we closed on 21st ...I couldn't put claim through till after 31st Dec...minor but slightly irritating.... )

Titchyboomboom Fri 15-Mar-13 06:26:09

The only problem I have with cool milk is that I found out that they charge the government 78p a pint and by validating I am confirming that this is the best price... Dilemma!

marcy1977 Thu 14-Mar-13 13:15:56

check out this link
http://www.scotsman.com/news/scottish-news/top-stories/thousands-of-nursery-kids-lose-out-in-dairy-firm-s-battle-with-government-1-2685102

marcy1977 Thu 14-Mar-13 13:14:49

I used to be a scotts customer but left them after having enough of the terrible service i am now with kidzmilk which i would recommend to anyone who wants a better service.I have heard that scotts have gone into liquidation now and are closing all there offices which is prob why you can't get through to them.
I was sent a link by a friend that i think any current scotts customers should have a look at.
http://www.scotsman.com/news/scottish-news/top-stories/thousands-of-nursery-kids-lose-out-in-dairy-firm-s-battle-with-government-1-2685102

I have also heard from a friend at a dairy that they are being taken to court
as they owe lots of money to lots of suppliers.so it looks like they wont be doing any deliveries.Also i have heard a rumour that the owners of scotts are going to open another company called MILK FOR FREE so if you was unhappy with the service from scotts i would stay well clear from them as well.

ImNotaPheasantPlucker Fri 18-Jan-13 16:59:32

I still haven't heard back from either NMRU or Scotts. I tried to rind NMRU but a recorded message said that they were so busy it might be quicker to email them.

I fondly hope it's because we are all complaining about Scotts!

christmashope Fri 18-Jan-13 12:38:52

My advice don't use Scott's, I am another one that they are trying to say hasn't validated there August claim (I have) and that they are going to bill me, horrendous company

dobby2001 Thu 17-Jan-13 00:07:09

Mmm this is intersting. I have heard a similiar story about Scotts too. I use milkforchildminders aka coolmilk and have done for 2 years with only 1 non delivery in that time. I also do weekly validation and have the ability to click back to check previous weeks if required.

Hope you folks with Scotts get sorted ok

DangerousMouse Tue 15-Jan-13 19:03:03

their emails

DangerousMouse Tue 15-Jan-13 19:02:43

Scotts have been awful, no deliveries since october and lots of demands to validate and threats of invoices, even though I have.

I have just emailed them and asked them if they intended there emails to be so aggressive to customers.

ImNotaPheasantPlucker Tue 15-Jan-13 18:06:57

I've just emailed NMRU about Scotts.

It will be interesting to hear what they have to say about the aggressive emails about non-validations.

HSMM Tue 15-Jan-13 17:39:40

That's funny childrenatheart it's October they're accusing me of not validating as well . They have promised in several emails to resend the validation email, but have failed to do so, so I have told them I will not be paying them.

ChildrenAtHeart Tue 15-Jan-13 09:22:46

Scotts are now threatening childminders with invoices for unvalidated milk claims & admin fees. They started to panic back in August when NMRU started to request confirmations of milk delivered before paying up (Government launched an inquiry into the milk scheme due to it's huge cost & suspected fraud) and asked us to validate that we had had the right amount. We then started getting requests from NMRU to validate the validations lol. If not validated Scotts didn't get paid. As a results Scotts suspended all deliveries in November claiming they were owed lots of money from NMRU because people weren't validating the claims plus it wasn't cost effective so they were moving to using a 3rd party delivery. I've had no milk since November & Scotts are chasing me claiming I haven't validated my October deliveries even though I have and can prove it. Don't touch them!!!!

ImNotaPheasantPlucker Mon 14-Jan-13 21:42:17

HSMM I posted about this on the UKChildminding forum - it seems there are many of us in a similar position. The Scotts FB page says much the same!

HSMM Mon 14-Jan-13 20:36:21

I'm having the same trouble getting away from Scotts. They have given me 2 weeksnotice or say they will be sending me a bill. II've replied that I have copies of all their emails and will not be paying

ImNotaPheasantPlucker Mon 14-Jan-13 20:06:02

I'm having trouble cancelling with Scotts.

They stopped delivering milk (with no notice, it just didn't turn up one week) saying that lots of people had not validated their claims and then that they could not find anyone to deliver in my area.

I am trying to cancel (obviously, because they haven't delivered since October/November) but they claim I have not validated for 4 months deliveries and they therefore have not been paid. I have validated but have no proof because it is a one-click system. I cannot cancel until they receive validations.

Just be careful if you decide to use them

kindergarten Mon 14-Jan-13 18:59:47

Actually, the nursery milk scheme stipulates that each child is entitled to ONE portion of 1/3 pint of milk a day, not one per half day. Scotts will happily deliver double milk, but beware, you could be held liable to pay for the extra milk. I used Scotts for a few months and had to thoroughly check the validation emails as they were often incorrect. We are a term time only setting and they attempted to claim for the summer holidays, despite no delivery. They left milk just about anywhere and it was rarely delivered to the nursery directly, therefore some days we had no milk delivered at all. Despite emailing them and calling them several times, they fail to correct claims... Seriously wouldn't touch them with a barge pole and have found them to be quite dishonest in their claims. I have to ask how companies like this make a profit when all they can claim is the same as the individual childminder or nursery? The only answer I can come up with is by making exaggerated claims, which if validated as correct by childminders and nurseries holds them liable for any overpayments, not Scotts!

cate16 Tue 24-Apr-12 17:43:58

You are supposed to display the poster about European Milk fund (or whatever it's called.

HSMM Tue 24-Apr-12 17:25:11

Yes Scotts ask how many we are registered for, but on correspondence I get from them it is quite clear that it is down to me to let them know if I need more or less milk, due to children attending. That's why the old system was such a pain, listing the number of children under 5 who ACTUALLY attended each day, because we can't claim for children on roll.

mrsthomsontobe Tue 24-Apr-12 16:53:55

And then tell you whst your entitled to they dint ask names. They give you the milk and then claim it bk themselfs .
Soz on phne it sent half message

mrsthomsontobe Tue 24-Apr-12 16:51:28

Oh dear I woukd have thought tht woukd be scotts miklks fault if they give you the wrong amount of milk as they ask they ask you the questions ie how mqnu your registered for

HSMM Mon 23-Apr-12 12:18:59

I always claim less from scotts than I'm allowed, so I don't have to worry about over claiming when children don't turn up.

FeelingOld Mon 23-Apr-12 10:17:39

if you go to www.nurserymilk.co.uk it says you can only claim for children actually in your care therefore not how many you are registered for.
The article i read some months ago stated that some childminders had been checked and had been made to pay back the money for the milk they had claimed for wrongly.
I know when i was contacted by Scotts they told me i could claim 1/3 for each session for each space i had so was entitled to 10 pints per week when in actual fact by the nursery milk websites info i can only claim for 4.3 pints per week. I just claim the money back quarterly now.

FeelingOld Mon 23-Apr-12 09:16:13

One of the childminders in our group found some information on this and it said you can claim 1/3 of a pint per day per child unless you have 1 child in the morning and then another in the afternoon then you can claim 1/3 for each child per day. It also said that its for how many children you actually have not how many you were registeredd for.....it scared all of us cos Scotts told us different to this and we all ended up cancelling with them and claiming the money back using the above rules....will try and find a link for the info.

HSMM Mon 23-Apr-12 08:52:06

I've never claimed for my own DD or for children who got their free milk at pre school, but after a very quick look, I can't see anything that says you can't. If you're going to do it, it might be worth checking first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now