Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Anyone claiming for free milk? some advice please

(41 Posts)
MUM2BLESS Fri 20-Apr-12 13:19:39

Hello lovely people..

Thinking of claiming for free milk for under 5s. Do I need to let the parents know? Some of mine provide all food and drink. One of the little ones does not bring milk to my house only food and jucie and water bottle. Another one does.

I am thinking of asking if the first child mentioned drinks milk?

What did you do when ordering milk?

Thank you

fudgesmummy Fri 20-Apr-12 23:19:34

I have always claimed for milk through nurserymilk. 1/3 pt a day for each child. I have never told an of the parents it works out at approx £15 a month

wishiwasonholiday Sat 21-Apr-12 00:12:49

I claim mine through Scott's my friend uses cool milk. Some people are wary if claiming through agencies but I find it easier and I never told my parents.

mopbucket Sat 21-Apr-12 09:53:39

Im just starting claiming first delivery arrives monday smile
Its called kidsmilk and i have no paperwork at all, i just had to email my ofted cert and tell them how many under 5's i had smile they contact the milkman and organise delievery

HSMM Sat 21-Apr-12 11:43:56

I use Scotts and Katy Mac gave us a link to a poster about providing European school milk, which I have displayed in my porch for parents .

lisa1968 Sat 21-Apr-12 15:23:41

google 'milk for free'.I use Scotts and get 14 pints a week.You can have it any way you want-skimmed,semi,full,organic,small cartons with straws,pints,litre or 2 litre cartons.Saves me a fortune!!

HSMM Sat 21-Apr-12 16:21:24

Blimey Lisa! How many do you look after? It's only 1/3 pint per child per day.

HSMM Sat 21-Apr-12 16:24:11

And only for under 5s

mrsthomsontobe Sat 21-Apr-12 18:02:34

You can claim for morning session and afternoon session children the same way a nursery does. So if you have dif kids morning n afternoon then you would get more milk

mopbucket Sat 21-Apr-12 19:41:01

Gutted i only get 5 pints a week

Pumpkinsandpickles Sat 21-Apr-12 19:48:20

I get 4 1/2 pints a week through Scott's.

Pumpkinsandpickles Sat 21-Apr-12 19:49:07

Would be odd getting half a pint - I get 5 pints!!

HSMM Sat 21-Apr-12 20:37:51

Oh yes Mrs Thompson. Forgot that coz mine come all day

MUM2BLESS Sat 21-Apr-12 23:15:23

Wow thanks for your replies, much appreciated.

Nicadooby Sun 22-Apr-12 21:27:22

Can you claim for your own kids too? and what if they (mindee's) already get free milk from school?

mrsthomsontobe Sun 22-Apr-12 22:27:36

they dont ask childrens names if you do it through scotts milk so wouldnt make a difference if they got it at school. also they wouldnt no if 1 of the under 5s was your own they just look at cerficate to see how many you are registered for

HSMM Mon 23-Apr-12 08:52:06

I've never claimed for my own DD or for children who got their free milk at pre school, but after a very quick look, I can't see anything that says you can't. If you're going to do it, it might be worth checking first.

FeelingOld Mon 23-Apr-12 09:16:13

One of the childminders in our group found some information on this and it said you can claim 1/3 of a pint per day per child unless you have 1 child in the morning and then another in the afternoon then you can claim 1/3 for each child per day. It also said that its for how many children you actually have not how many you were registeredd for.....it scared all of us cos Scotts told us different to this and we all ended up cancelling with them and claiming the money back using the above rules....will try and find a link for the info.

FeelingOld Mon 23-Apr-12 10:17:39

if you go to www.nurserymilk.co.uk it says you can only claim for children actually in your care therefore not how many you are registered for.
The article i read some months ago stated that some childminders had been checked and had been made to pay back the money for the milk they had claimed for wrongly.
I know when i was contacted by Scotts they told me i could claim 1/3 for each session for each space i had so was entitled to 10 pints per week when in actual fact by the nursery milk websites info i can only claim for 4.3 pints per week. I just claim the money back quarterly now.

HSMM Mon 23-Apr-12 12:18:59

I always claim less from scotts than I'm allowed, so I don't have to worry about over claiming when children don't turn up.

mrsthomsontobe Tue 24-Apr-12 16:51:28

Oh dear I woukd have thought tht woukd be scotts miklks fault if they give you the wrong amount of milk as they ask they ask you the questions ie how mqnu your registered for

mrsthomsontobe Tue 24-Apr-12 16:53:55

And then tell you whst your entitled to they dint ask names. They give you the milk and then claim it bk themselfs .
Soz on phne it sent half message

HSMM Tue 24-Apr-12 17:25:11

Yes Scotts ask how many we are registered for, but on correspondence I get from them it is quite clear that it is down to me to let them know if I need more or less milk, due to children attending. That's why the old system was such a pain, listing the number of children under 5 who ACTUALLY attended each day, because we can't claim for children on roll.

cate16 Tue 24-Apr-12 17:43:58

You are supposed to display the poster about European Milk fund (or whatever it's called.

kindergarten Mon 14-Jan-13 18:59:47

Actually, the nursery milk scheme stipulates that each child is entitled to ONE portion of 1/3 pint of milk a day, not one per half day. Scotts will happily deliver double milk, but beware, you could be held liable to pay for the extra milk. I used Scotts for a few months and had to thoroughly check the validation emails as they were often incorrect. We are a term time only setting and they attempted to claim for the summer holidays, despite no delivery. They left milk just about anywhere and it was rarely delivered to the nursery directly, therefore some days we had no milk delivered at all. Despite emailing them and calling them several times, they fail to correct claims... Seriously wouldn't touch them with a barge pole and have found them to be quite dishonest in their claims. I have to ask how companies like this make a profit when all they can claim is the same as the individual childminder or nursery? The only answer I can come up with is by making exaggerated claims, which if validated as correct by childminders and nurseries holds them liable for any overpayments, not Scotts!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now