Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Ofsted want to ditch childminders

(56 Posts)
stomp Fri 02-Mar-12 21:31:31

so, what do we think of Sir Michael Wilshaw comments then?
I'm fuming.

echt Sat 12-Jan-13 06:52:32

Our DD was childminded from 7m to 2 years, and we couldn't have been happier. CMing was our first choice so as to have the family feel to childcare.

All this was before the OFSTED shite, and I am a teacher, so know what I'm slagging off. Was gobsmacked at the EYFS stuff. Bollocks. What I see here is the rubbishing of childminders because BigGov has bitten off more than they can chew in terms of inspection.

DC will be 18 this year, and our CM will be on the list for a photie of the cherub. We're eternally grateful for such care.

minderjinx Sat 12-Jan-13 12:01:29

Well said Echt. It is lovely to hear some positive feedback from parents amidst all the bashing from all sides.

fraktion Sat 12-Jan-13 12:06:43

"Oh one more thing I forgot, in the middle of all of this the NCMA has decided that the interests of nannies and nursery workers are just as important to it as childminders, so it is accepting the latter as members soon (it has accepted nannies for a few years) and changing its name to PACEY. You don't need to know what this stands for other than the "C" which, like IMHO the organisation itself, no longer stands for childminding."

Don't you mean the membership fees of nannies and nursery workers are just as profitable as childminders? wink

Stoney666 Mon 14-Jan-13 15:58:32

I just want to know what's going on its madness

SouthernPolish Tue 15-Jan-13 17:36:59

Wish I could fast forward 3 years to see what happens....

I am re-registering and have pre-reg on Friday. I'm up to my eyeballs in paperwork. Dreading the grading inspection in a few months time. I personally cannot stand the EYFS (apart from health & safety stuff). I think parents should be able to decide how they want their children looking after and choose a CM accordingly.

VivaLeBeaver Tue 15-Jan-13 17:44:47

To be honest as a parent I thought it was a bit bonkers that CMs had to start doing all the EYFS stuff. I'd much rather they spent time playing with/having fun with the kids.

DD had a childminder(s) when young, mainly good ones. One fab one.

I couldn't have cared less what their Ofsted report said, what outcomes they were measuring, etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now