This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How much should we pay a nanny for a weekend?

(33 Posts)
scampadoodle Mon 16-Jan-06 16:12:21

DH & I have been offered a weekend away (free!) No kids though (hurrah!) We've arranged for a lovely, experienced girl to look after our 2 DS's (She used to work for a friend & I've met her - she's great). Trouble is, neither of us knows what the going rate is for such a job.
DS's are 4.4 and 20 months, VERY rumbustious! She would be in sole charge from about 8am Saturday to 8pm Sunday. We have a fairly strict bedtime routine so they would be tucked up by about 7.30pm, but they do get up early (6-ish). The little one still has a nap. We live in North London - nice big house with satellite telly (she lives west London). Park nearby.

Can anyone help? I was thinking maybe £200 cash in hand???

scampadoodle Mon 16-Jan-06 16:13:05

Sorry, should say that DS is 4.4 YEARS!

Bink Mon 16-Jan-06 16:21:42

That might be fine - offer it and see what she thinks.

We're in London too, and we have a contractual arrangement for sole charge w/ends (should we ever use them) with our nanny - she would get £8.50/hr for when the children are awake plus an "overnight fee" of £50 - which would put it higher than yours. Our overnight fee is quite high (I think £30 would be good enough if you've got good sleepers) but we didn't mind agreeing to what she was asking just because we don't often make use of the arrangement.

crunchie Mon 16-Jan-06 16:21:43

Personally I feel a w/e is similar to AT LEAST 3 full days, and with the hours (6am) even more. £200 would be minimum IMHO. Have you asked her how much she wants?

I would say £250 - £300 due to the long hours, even though they are tucked up in bed, she can't DO anything.

I am trying to remember when my nanny worked overnight one weekend for us, we gavce her 4 days off (effectively about £200 +) but we are not in London. Also if you do cash in hand, £200 is not so bad hmmm. Ask your friend how much she used to pay her.

scampadoodle Mon 16-Jan-06 16:30:25

I asked her & she wasn't sure of the going rate for such a stint so we agreed she'd ask around, I'd ask around & we'd decide it from there!
Yes, they are good sleepers - & often sleep later than 6am, so the idea of an hourly rate plus an overnight fee is a good one.
My friend had her as a mothers' help when she had her 3rd baby so didn't leave her for a weekend.
My boys aren't that bad to look after if you've got a bit of energy ie not old & clapped-out like me.

nannyme Mon 16-Jan-06 19:38:22

£250 to £300 in my opinion.

if you work out what it would be at an hourly rate of £8 - £10 for 36 hours cover that doesn't seem so extortionate! The overnight should be at an enhanced rate, but if it is for cash then that kind of cancels that out and so you can just charge a flat rate at the going rates for London.

You need also to bear in mind that although this is a highly reponsible role, you are not paying for commitment and an ability to nurture your children as they develop, just for her to mind them so this will affect the rate.

Again, on the flip side, you need to make it worth her while as just a one off event...

Difficult, but I still reckon £250 - £300. I don't think she'd refuse £200 though if there waas lots of M&S food in and a DVD or two of her choosing!

Earlybird Mon 16-Jan-06 19:57:19

I used to pay my nanny her regular hourly rate for daytime/early evening hours when she was working directly with dd (approx 12 hours), and then half rate for late evening/sleeping time.

uwila Mon 16-Jan-06 20:44:48

I think 200 is plenty. Assuming she and the boys sleep for 8 hours, then she is doing 28 hours of work at just over £7/hour. If she is normally a nanny for work and has at least several years of experience than she could probably ask for more -- but then if that was the case she'd be familiar with what to charge you.

For someone who is not normally a nanny, I think I'd give £5-£6 per hour plus a £30 overnight fee. That's £170-£198 for your job.

beachyhead Mon 16-Jan-06 21:55:16

I've always heard 100 ponds for 24 hours. That gives 60 for the day, which is your live in rate plus 40 for the evenings, which is top heavy for a live in babysitting. I'd go for 200 pounds, plus cook some meals in the freezer so she didn't have to worry about feeding her or them. PLUS I'd add expenses for nice trips out for one of the days at least of about £30.

beachyhead Mon 16-Jan-06 21:55:50

pounds, not ponds as she might not like ponds

nannyme Mon 16-Jan-06 23:20:58

You can tell I am the nanny can't you!

Beachyhead it HAS to M&S meals, home cooking just don't cut it if you are babysitting - unless your name is Gordon (as in Ramsay). I say all this in jest of course...

sinclair Tue 17-Jan-06 13:19:12

We had a weekend from our regular nanny about 3 years ago in lieu of 'normal' 3 days - so that would value it at £270 at our rate, plus we pay tax on top but you aren't in that boat. So I would say £250 cash in hand plus a lump of money left out for exes - lunch in the nice cafe in the park or a taxi home if they get caught in the rain - she won't necessarily spend it but it will make you feel comfortable.

Enjoy your weekend!

rummum Tue 17-Jan-06 13:23:54

If this nanny you've got planned can't make it...
I'll do it

scampadoodle Thu 19-Jan-06 16:10:24

Thanks for the response everyone - very helpful!

sweetmummy Sat 04-Feb-06 15:52:44

I think that she should be paid max salary.It is not only how your kids are sleeping through the night-put yourself in the same position-it is weekend and everywhere weekends r paid almost double-it is HUGE responsibility to look after someones children for so long - she has to be on call no matter if kids are sleeping so well-what if something goes wrong and she goes through hell for some £30????Or children-don't you think they r more worth it ...I notice that people r prepared to pay more for cleaning then childminding....HOW SELFISH...NO OFFENCE TO ANYONE-that is my opinion.... I have my two angels and you know what-i am ready to pay the high salary for someone too look after them-THEY R MY TREASURE- and is out of question for me even to think about extra £30-40 to pay for their safety....

uwila Sun 05-Feb-06 11:31:31

Sweetmummy, are you looking for a fight? Come meet me round back and I'll explain to you why cleaners do not make more than chilminders and why paying a lower rate for childcare is NOT a refelction of the amount of love a parent has for his/her child.

Your post is offensive, to say the least.

uwila Sun 05-Feb-06 11:32:02

Sweetmummy, are you looking for a fight? Come meet me round back and I'll explain to you why cleaners do not make more than chilminders and why paying a lower rate for childcare is NOT a refelction of the amount of love a parent has for his/her child.

uwila Sun 05-Feb-06 11:33:15

uwila Sun 05-Feb-06 11:33:47

MrsBigD Mon 06-Feb-06 12:31:30

Uwila you really want a fight don't you

happy to have found this thread... will be having my nanny look after kids from Sat p.m. to Sunday lunchtime or the like and was wondering how much to pay her Can't really give her days in lieu as then either dh or I would have to take time off...

Do second Uwila though... how much you pay for your childcare does not reflect how much your love or care for your children. In my case... I pay what I can afford (not all that much) and nanny and kids are happy.

uwila Mon 06-Feb-06 12:40:47

MrsBigD, I'll take your kids for the weekend for £200.

Can I give them tranquilisers at night so I don't have to do any work?

MrsBigD Mon 06-Feb-06 13:12:35

Scampadoodle - hope you get to a mutually satisfactory agreement

Uwila hmmmm £200 for 24h shift... you forget ... my kids don't sleep

Tranquilisers? Now why haven't I thought of that!

uwila Mon 06-Feb-06 13:36:52

We could make opium brownies. They do like chocolate, right?

Oh i thought it was two days. I could do it for £100 -- but I'll need you to provide the baking ingredients.

MrsBigD Mon 06-Feb-06 14:43:42

Uwila I'm shocked hash cookies for the kids???!!!! What if they don't want to share

Sorry Campadoodle we're digressing

sweetmummy Tue 07-Feb-06 09:28:14

UWILA,UWILA,UWILA....
You r one interesting cookie-FEEL SORRY FOR YOUR NANNY AMBER- poor girl!!!!I am not here to fight specialy with the baby on the way -but if you r looking for a fight -I DON'T FIGHT- I WIN PEOPLE WITH THE WORDS-which for you might be more difficult----maybe not nice of me-but i just said what i thought-like everyone else-and i don't understand why did you get so angry?????????

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now