This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Car insurance for Au Pair - Help!!!

(7 Posts)
mamma2boyz Tue 23-Aug-11 18:22:50

We clearly did not research this properly, we thought it might be an additional £1000 which we could cope with, for all the benefits of help with school run etc, but have just tried to get quotes and the best so far is £2660?

I mean...honestly?!

Au Pair is swedish and only 18 so not helpful but she is lovely and we are rural so would be great if she could drive...

What did you do?

OldLadyKnowsNothing Tue 23-Aug-11 19:26:24

Is that in her own car, or as named driver on yours? Here are some popular Group 1 cars. Would it be possible to change the car?

Lizcat Tue 23-Aug-11 20:49:50

It worth approaching Endsleigh often they can do good deals for under 25s. I have to say having a business that insures several under 25s the fact that to insure an under 25 on a 1.4L 6 year old ford focus is double the price of insuring me on my 3L toureg seems a little crazy.

mamma2boyz Wed 24-Aug-11 13:11:42

That is for her own car - an old 1.0 litre Polo...the cheapest but still safe car we could find!!
Working out cheaper to add her to my policy for our Passat but not ideal as will leave me with the crappy Polo to drive if I am not with her..! Nightmare, but essential really that she drives as we are in the country and without a car I would have to drive her around to babysitting jobs etc.
Well I tried Endsleigh this morning and they were the highest quote so far...over £4k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pertbootywish Thu 25-Aug-11 13:40:38

would it work out cheaper to also insure yourself on the polo (even though you don't intend to drive it) and have her as a named driver?

mumsareglam Thu 25-Aug-11 21:59:08

Try admiral, we have a joint car policy in my house. I added on our aupair with admiral for £60 for 6 months on a Fiat 500.

hayleysd Fri 26-Aug-11 07:38:48

My partner only passed his test a couple if years ago so insurance with him as the main driver was ridiculous, so I am the main driver on both but he brings my insurance down as a named driver as he's older! Worth a try though doing it in your name?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now