Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Has anyone worked recently as a (mature) nanny abroad?

(2 Posts)
Smilingshrew Sun 29-May-11 13:13:03

Please can you tell me about any recent nannying experiences you have had abroad. Where have you worked?Did you work in Switzerland or Holland? Have you had everything you needed? What did you earn? What free time did you get? What problems were there?
etc. I am particularly interested if you were in your 40's/50's.
Thanks

frakyouveryverymuch Sun 29-May-11 20:12:22

I was younger than you are looking for (by about half!) but here goes....

Brussels and Paris (so not CH or NL) although I have spent time in NL.

I had most things I needed although it was sometimes complicated getting them!

Earnt...a lot, but it was 24/5 availability. Friday evenings to Sunday evenings free, unless travelling or the weekend nanny was on holiday.

Problems - what kind of problems are you thinking of? Logistical? Administrative? With the family? Language? There are definitely additional issues to be aware of in top of the typical nanny-family relationship and cultural expectations vary hugely.

I'd recommend it though and will hopefully go back to nannying but with DS in tow if we move back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now