Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

"Minimum" rates for sitters.co.uk

(37 Posts)
CocoaBeanPlease Sun 15-May-11 21:57:35

Hi,

I've just registered with sitters.co.uk and have been sent the link to the Guidance for Parents section. I was surprised to see that there they say "the rates of pay we recommend should be considered as minimums" - didn't see that on the website before registering.

So if you've used Sitters, could you please tell me how much you actually pay? If most people overpay, I'm worried that if I use the suggested rate my babysitters will be offended and refuse to come back!

Thanks

Tanith Sat 24-Nov-12 13:31:18

Thank you, that makes perfect sense!

I live in a semi-rural area and was offered a lot of bookings miles away, often for a couple of hours. I think the furthest was 15 miles! They also sent several bookings at once so, even if you did accept a booking for one evening, you obviously couldn't accept those offered for the same evening.
No wonder they were so evasive!

Didn't smile enough indeed! angry

pinkchick1 Sat 24-Nov-12 18:16:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lalulalu Thu 15-Aug-13 17:15:03

hate Sitters.
They NEVER listen to you .
They NEVER are Wrong.
They are ALWAYS grumpy
They sent me 24 miles away!!!!!!!!!!

Could you not have turned down the job lalu? & this is a 2 year old thread...

lovelynannytobe Thu 15-Aug-13 18:48:16

lalulalu didn't you check the distance before accepting? I never take anything over 7 miles away.

SimLondon Thu 15-Aug-13 21:52:17

I was thinking about sitters, we have no-one to babysit and the girls at our nursery aren't allowed to babysit for parents :-( sitters have a great reputation but it feels odd to leave a stranger at home -hhmm

Jemjem12 Mon 18-Nov-13 19:05:22

Although this is an old thread I totally agree with lalualu. Having worked for sitters for a number of years I would definitely NOT use it for my own kids!

My 'interview' was by a local mum which consisted of two questions - what's your favourite book and how do you know if a child is ill (duh)

I built up good relationships with regular clients who told me of awful experiences they had, ones who had rifled through drawers and even one who let an expensive cat out and lost it!

All sitters cares about is filling jobs and making money. They are rude, unappreciative and greedy.

I would 100% recommend Likeminders over sitters! A pleasure to work for and extremely professional

pinkchick1 Sat 01-Mar-14 16:57:37

I also worked for sitters and I ran a nanny agency for years as well as being a nanny. I also agree with comments above, I would never leave my child in the care of the sitters company.

They are rude, uncaring from the sitters perspective.

I actually can say, I interviewed many, many years ago. I worked very well with the company, it was then bought out in 2007 I think, don't quote me on that. I was never once re vetted from the time I started to the the time I left. I also stopped and started working for them over the years so I technically could of done anything and they would not have known.

After working in the agency industry, I realised, they work under the nanny agency guidelines, this means they are basically a data base of names, parents and child carers. This means that the parents need to be interviewing their babysitter before the babysitter looks after their child, they then need to be taking up references, preferably 3.

So basically I ask, if you were to employ a nanny for your children, would you simply call the agency, have them turn up on a Monday morning and care for your children, no references or interview, this is in effect what you are doing with this company.

Yes the child care providers may be in the profession, or may have been in the profession when they registered. But are they still, if not and why, or have nanny agencies black listed a nanny etc for a serious reason.

I won't use this company for my child ever, I won't trust her safety.

MiscellaneousAssortment Sun 02-Mar-14 01:59:40

So is Likeminders the one to go to? Any other good ones in London?

Btw would a babysitter think it was awful if the child was up when they arrived? In pjs & washed, possibly teeth done... But awake and wanting to play/ read books etc?

I loved it when I was a babysitter but I loved the children I babysat for so probably was different!y Ds sleeps late and there's no way I would be able to present the sitter with zonked out child for the evening...

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 02-Mar-14 06:40:06

Depends what time the bs arrive and age of child. But generally it is nice for child to meet bs incase they wake - so yes I'm happy to put child to bed after a story

This is an old thread but rem Reading it then - thought I did reply but often sitters threads so prob replied on another one

I won't bs through sitters as pay is rubbish and also have a 4hr minimum booking and even if use less I make clear they still pay for 4hrs updront

Pink chick1 - I'm intrigued what your old replies were that you asked to be removed then bump up old thread with a new reply

Tanith Sun 02-Mar-14 10:51:11

Blondes, the deleted message answered one of my earlier ones about their rating system with some very detailed information that I think could have identified Pinkchick. I'm guessing that's why she asked for it to be deleted.

Basically, what she said was that the rating system was calculated differently to what it said - ie, not customer satisfaction at all! My experience bore that out.

I can also confirm that they don't continue to vet their siitters: I know an ex-childminder who stopped working with children 8 years ago and is still accepting bookings.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 02-Mar-14 15:20:27

thanks tanith - im nosey lol

tho agree that sitters dont seem to vet their sitters sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now