This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

mums, nannies - recommendations for nanny agencies?

(39 Posts)
microserf Tue 22-Feb-11 21:06:04

hi, this thread is a little duplicative of some other threads, but i need a very specific type of advice. i've spent ages writing out a family description, job spec, etc for a nanny, and now i need to take the plunge!

can any mums or nannies recommend good nanny agencies that they have used? PM would be great if we are not allowed to promote businesses in this way. i am based in sw11 if this helps.

i would like to use an agency in our search but there seem to be masses of them charging widely varying fees and offering a big fat nothing only limited recompense if things don't work out for any reason? (i am not really concerned about the second point, but it does amuse me to see how little help you get if it all turns to custard).

any agencies that really added value?

ideally one that gives a full disclosure of how they bill? many don't, or use some arcane formula i can't relate back to the nanny's net or gross pay confused and it's annoying when trying to choose.

i can't face gumtree.... only ever got nutter flatmates off it when i was single!

Strix Tue 22-Feb-11 21:11:36

I would try nannyjob.co.uk before paying a big agency fee. (whih is where the agency will probably put your ad) Are you looking for live-in or out?

microserf Tue 22-Feb-11 21:31:52

hi i am looking for live out, but a full time position for 5 days a week.

Samedi Tue 22-Feb-11 23:04:05

Nannyjob, childcare.co.uk, greatcare.com.... and don't discount gumtree, I've gotten every one of my nanny jobs from there!

The best agencies I've come across are- Wimbledon nannies (Renate is lovely), Eden (I was dealing with Angela there, and she was very profesional) Little Star in Twickenham and The Childcare Solution. I'm with about 15 agencies and they are the only ones to put me forward for jobs which are in my area and what I'm looking for.

SnapFrakkleAndPop Wed 23-Feb-11 03:31:15

I second the recommendation for Eden but they are expensive and have heard many good things about Wimbledon. Most agencies work on the multiples of net salary basis so budget a month's salary in fees.

I agree that nannyjob is where the agency will advertise anyway so try an ad on there first. Then if you need help with shortlisting CVs, checking references and qualifications etc you can always come back and ask here!

I think Kensington nannies charge a flat fee (but a big one).

drinkyourmilk Wed 23-Feb-11 07:54:26

Another nanny that uses Eden.
I'd recommend them because they listened to what I was looking for in a position and only showed me suitable prospective positions, as opposed to other agencies where not only have they ignored my requirements but simply arranged interviews for me! Total waste of everyones time. I've also had lots of nanny friends recommend Wimbledon too.

nannyl Wed 23-Feb-11 09:53:50

nappyvalley nanny agency

LittleOneMum Wed 23-Feb-11 09:58:11

I love Eden too, but I have also been very happy with The Nanny Service - Ronel and Corrina there are absolutely fantastic. I'm a Mum by the way.

You should also know that a regular Mumsnetter called Sally has just set up her own agency called The Nanny Tree and is offering really cut price fees because it is just starting up. I've spoken to her about my own search and she seems really clued up.

you could try www.childcare.co.uk and www.nanyjob.co.uk if doing it all yourself

or can recommend the agency www.kidsmatter.uk.com

NJE Wed 23-Feb-11 10:49:30

Hey,

I can recommend Eden as well as well as Imperial Nannies (I have just been placed with them for one position.) I am registered with many agencies, but they are the best and worth their money. Other agencies didn't even check my references.

Lily311 Wed 23-Feb-11 12:49:02

I would recommend simplychildcare.com, i got all my nannyjobs from there. Also can highly recommend Claire at Wimbledon nannies. Have mixed feelings about Abbeville nannies, they are not really good at keeping contact with nannies and providing feedback,etc.

microserf Wed 23-Feb-11 14:25:14

Thanks for the recommendations, and it is great to hear directly which agencies do listen and take the time to check references properly - that's the main thing. any other recommendations gratefully received!

nannyj Thu 24-Feb-11 13:25:23

Never really like Eden but Occasional and Permanent and Imperial Nannies got me good jobs. Been a few years since i've looked for jobs though. It does depend on the person who you deal with too.

Mtorun Thu 24-Feb-11 13:43:05

Don't like Eden at all! I'm placed by Abbeville which I think they are nice. Wimbledon nannies(met with Renate and she is lovely!) also good too.

sioba Thu 24-Feb-11 13:53:57

I used all weather childcare (http://allweatherchildcare.co.uk/default.aspx)
and found it great - I was registered with 4 agencies and found them by far the most helpful. They really listened to what I wanted and didn't just send me a glut of uninteresting cvs.

fridayschild Thu 24-Feb-11 14:03:36

When we lived near Clapham we used Abbeville Nannies, and I was pleased with them. I also like KiwiOz and Simply childcare.

The terms and conditions are all terrible if it all goes wrong. I am a lawyer and I read these....

Abbeville and Nappyvalley Nannies for me - I work as a nanny in your area and they definitely seem to be the best in my experience!

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

nowwearefour Sun 27-Feb-11 20:18:44

try buttons. they are FaNTASTIC in my experience (i found my nanny through them). really listened to what we wanted in a nanny and found me the perfect one!

dawn82 Tue 01-Mar-11 21:45:03

Butterfly Nannies for me, they are great. Use them for babysitting and also employed an excellent nannies too.

Dawn

jendifa Wed 02-Mar-11 12:10:23

Peekaboo were good for me.

claire74 Thu 03-Mar-11 13:31:55

Shelds Fri 04-Mar-11 11:37:57

nannynick Fri 04-Mar-11 11:54:20

Reminder: It is not appropriate, or professional for an agency to pretend to be a parent.

Parents and Nannies: Be warned that some posters recommending agencies may actually work for the agency. Check user posting history using Advanced Search before making a decision to contact an agency recomended on here by a poster you have not communicated with frequently.

JACBITW Mon 09-May-11 20:23:42

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now