Tips for coping with induction

(54 Posts)
RockabillyKitty Mon 07-Jan-13 22:26:46

Anything really - what to do during the waiting? How to make the hospital stay more comfy? Allow family/friends during visiting hours?

I'm booked for Friday when I'll be 40+12 and I'd love to hear from anyone who has been through it - good or bad.

inadreamworld Mon 07-Jan-13 23:34:59

Hi I was induced at 40 +8 as waters began leaking and I didn't go into labour naturally. It was fine, 12 hour labour which is not too bad for a first baby, normal vaginal delivery, did have a post partum bleed of more than a litre but recovered quickly with iron tablets. The only thing I would advise is to have an epidural if they put you on the drip as it is very painful. I felt brilliant and v relieved after the epidural!!

I am now expecting baby 2 - due in two days time but won't be worried if I have to be induced again. Good luck!!

piprabbit Mon 07-Jan-13 23:40:07

I started induction on the Wednesday night and DD wasn't born until Sunday evening. I spent a lot of time wandering around (walking is meant to be good for getting things going), chatting to anyone who couldn't get away, reading and watching TV. I loved it. It was a very calm and positive, sort of focussed experience. I think I was slightly detached from my usual self.

However, I also needed an epidural once they put me on the drip on Sunday lunchtime. It was quick and painful.

Good luck.

NAR4 Tue 08-Jan-13 12:16:25

I was induced with all four of mine and they were 20hrs, 2 hrs, 9.5hrs and 38.5hrs. The pain intensity of each birth also varied a lot as did the length of time it took to start labour off.

I didn't have visitors other than Dh and children. Read a lot of magazines, but ultimately there is no getting away from the fact that it is boring waiting for your labour to start.

In my experience induced labour doesn't always mean extremely painful, but can do and also doesn't seem to make a difference to it taking a long time or being rather quick. My longest labour was by far my most painful and the 9.5 hrs labour the best, painwise.

Just take it as it comes and take whatever painrelief you feel you need at the time.

Good luck and remember not long now until you have that baby.

Vix0809 Tue 08-Jan-13 12:54:43

I was induced just over 7 weeks ago with my first baby and it was fine. I was 40+12 when I was booked in but due to the hospital being full I wasn't actually started until 14 days after. The worst bit was having to go in everyday from day 12 for them to check the baby was fine and then being sent home again. Eventually started with the pessary on day 14 at 2pm. Went for a long walk as recommended and then settled down for the night. Woke up at 5am with period like pains. Found the midwife who gave me 2 paracetamol. Bounced around on the ball until 6 when pain got worse. Found midwife again and asked to call husband in mid contraction in the hallway. Waters broke at 6.30 with meconium. Phoned husband at 7. He arrived at 7.45 as I was being wheeled to delivery suite. Baby born 8.38 in a couple of pushes and some gas and air. Labour timed as 1 hr 58 mins. Had to be cut to get him out but all seems to be fine. Would not worry if had to be induced again.

bitbot Tue 08-Jan-13 13:44:52

I was induced at 40 +12 at 11am on the tue, contractions were 7mins apart by. 2pm and 4cm dilated by 11pm born 2.06am the Thursday by emcs....erasing all that happened on the Wednesday out of my head wink I went armed with lots of magazines thinking there would be lots of hanging around...but my contractions started pretty much straight after the pessary was put in. Good luck smile

PaleHousewifeOfCumbriaCounty Tue 08-Jan-13 13:53:12

Ive had two inductions,one at 38wks and one at 40+11, no epidural with either. First one four hours but took a good 24 hrs to start. Second one was started at 10am, nothing really happened. Waters popped on their own at half five, delivered at five to seven with a bit of gas and air.

littlemissnormal Tue 08-Jan-13 13:59:21

My first 2 DCs were induced at 40+14. The induction part of it was fine but they both took 3/4 days of constant examinations and pessaries until they could break my waters to start labour.
So my only advice is to take books, magazines, snacks etc to keep you entertained just in case it doesn't kick things off immediately!

Patience is essential too as I found myself frequently being pushed back an hour or two to see a midwife/consultant as higher priority cases came in.

The first birth was 9 hours, second 1.5 so I don't think induction bears any kind of lengthening of labour itself.

Hope it all goes well for you!

SurroundedByBlue Tue 08-Jan-13 14:03:58

I was induced with my first (and second) baby. First one was lots of waiting around whilst the pessaries kicked in but when it started it was very quick and easy - only 2 hours, start to finish and not very painful really. I had gas and air and was able to come home 6 hours after he was born. With the second, they broke my waters and again had a 2 hour labour, pretty similar to the first.

Induction doesn't always have to be awful although you have probably read loads of horror stories. I was hopeful for an induction with my third but went into labour naturally (I was scared of just going into labour without the routine of bring induced) and it only took 20 minutes.

I would take a b

SurroundedByBlue Tue 08-Jan-13 14:05:32

Posted to soon:

I would take a book, some snacks and a drink plus my phone charger. Waiting around is boring.

Best advice I can give is try not to panic. I did with ds1 and it was the only point that things got a bit scary, they were fine again when I got a grip of myself smile


PaleHousewifeOfCumbriaCounty Wed 09-Jan-13 08:12:29

Just bear in mind people like to tell a hideous birth story, the easy shelling peas ones dont get as much airyime ;)

PaleHousewifeOfCumbriaCounty Wed 09-Jan-13 08:12:44


inadreamworld Wed 09-Jan-13 08:35:49

I agree PaleHousewifeMany woman like to over dramatise their birth story, either making out they had a hideous experience or that they had the most wonderful, natural birth ever. The reality for most women is somewhere inbetween.

redexpat Wed 09-Jan-13 08:45:31

Well had a midwife stick a pill in my vagina at 6pm.
Admitted at 7pm. Reassured it would probably take days.
Got mild period type pains at 9pm whilst watching Trinny and Susannah.
Was given 2 paracetamol at about 11pm.
Water broke at 2am after several trips to the loo.
Midwife took ann AGE to get up to the ward to examine me. Requested pain relief, denied because it was too late and the baby was ready to 'fall out' of me.
Was in the delivery room at 3am.
DS born 0504.

Travel games. We played some backgammon.
Get some good podcasts on your mp3 player. I recommend Friday Night Comedy from BBC radio 4. Also iPM. Take charger for mp3 player.

I was induced at 37 weeks as my waters started trickling. Pessary was put in in the evening, was put on drip at midday the next day, son was born 8pm that eve.

Was all rushed. Was told we would wait to see if the pessary would do anything, but woke up the next day being told I was to go upto the labour ward to be put on the drip. In hindsight I wish I had waited and given my body a chance, but it was my first time and I was scared.

It was very painful, but as I don't have another birth to compare it to, I have no idea if it was more painful due to being induced. Was nothing like I wanted as was on my back & told I couldn't move as was constantly monitored. I am aware that not every induction is like that. I have friends who were induced and all was fine. I wish I had done more research into what would happen.

10000Fireflies Wed 09-Jan-13 09:36:22

I was induced in the middle of a heatwave, so as soon as I was given the ok to go out for a walk, DH and I had a stroll round the park and then went home and sat out the 12 hours until the next monitoring session at home. Sitting on the balcony eating ice lollies was infinitely preferable to being in a pre-labour ward surrounded by women screaming their heads off in pain.

I had been so completely wound up by incompetent monitoring from 39+6 on a daily basis, where MWs thought baby was in an unstable lie, I was developing pre-eclampsia etc etc. So much fuss, and none of it right, that I wasn't in a calm state of mind for birth.

Labour came on fast and intense. Hosp botched epidurals and spinals. V unpleasant. Ended with CS due to failure to progress. CS and recovery actually ok. Wish I'd had an elective. Would have been far preferable to what I'd experienced.

Smorgs Wed 09-Jan-13 09:37:11

I was induced at 40+7 (based on French way of working - 40+21 from LMP) and went straight onto the oxytocin drip as I hadn't even started to dilate. Contractions started but I still wouldn't dilate so they broke my waters (not at all painful as I had been warned it would be). Still no dilation despite them upping the amount on the drip more than a few times. By this time the contractions were very strong and regular and I was struggling to stay in control of my breathing. So the ob/gyn recommended I have the epidural to see if it would speed things along (I gratefully accepted) In an hour I was 6cm and another hour 9cm! After that I had a blissful experience chilling out in the birthing room, telling my DH how much I loved him and waiting for the last cm before I could push. I had loads of energy for pushing and out he popped after 25 minutes of pushing.

The only thing I used while in there was my iPhone with some nice relaxing music on it. I couldn't concentrate on anything else as I was too excited about the arrival of my little one! I wouldn't allow family/friends to visit, but that's just me really. I wanted it to be DH and I only. Plenty of time for others to visit after the birth. I also found sitting on a Swiss ball helped during contractions before the epidural.

Good luck, you will be fine x

pourmeanotherglass Wed 09-Jan-13 09:48:51

redexpat - your story sounds really similar to mine.

They gave the thing around 6:30pm, DH stayed and played cards with me until 11:00 or so, then went home, as we had been reassured that it was unlikely anything would happen overnight. When he went, I told the midwife I had really strong period type pains, but she said it was just 'after pains' from the pessary, and I should try to get some sleep. I was awake most of the night, (stuggling with diarrhoea) then when I called the midwife back because I needed some pain relief she said I was 8cm dilated, and had to rush. DH only just got back in time. All quite quick, but I tore a bit.

I guess my main tip is not to send your DH to get hospital food for you (I'm sure the lentil and chick pea curry was connected with the diarrhoea), and if you're getting regular strong pains, don't let them persuade you you're not in labour.

Snowgirl1 Wed 09-Jan-13 12:17:54

I was induced at 40+5 as waters had broken but labour hadn't started naturally. I was induced by drip and they started the induction when a delivery room became available, which was midnight so while waiting for things to happen I slept, so that filled the time for me!

whymummywhy Wed 09-Jan-13 12:52:13

I was induced at 40+10 as I was going insane waiting for labour to start and begged them to induce me! I had a pessary at about 12 then mild cramping all afternoon during which time I had lovely chats with the other ladies on the antenatal ward and listened to music etc. It got suddenly worse at about 8pm but they sent dh home saying nothing was happening. I knew for a fact (this was my second baby) that I was in active labour and insisted they examine me at about 9:30pm...I was rapidly dilating and they called dh straight back. I was supposed to have an early epidural following issues when ds was born but it all happened too quickly although they did try to get the epidural in but I couldn't cooperate fully so just used gas and air. Dd was born just after midnight in the sac - I tore a bit and fractured my coccyx but it was very quick and actually preferable, for me, to sitting at home and waiting for another few days. The camaraderie with the other ladies was lovely and we saw each others babies afterwards - they even gave me a cheer as I was wheeled to the delivery suite because I was the first to go! As other people have said, trust your instincts and don't be shy in telling the staff. (I had a student midwife apologise to me the following day for not giving me an early epidural despite the instructions of the consultant anaesthetist on my notes and I did point out to her that it is always a good idea to listen to the mother to be...)

brainonastick Wed 09-Jan-13 13:29:31

My main tip is to make sure that you are happy with the date of your induction. Don't feel pressured into it. if you are not ready, then postpone a day or two (or more, with expectant management).

From my own experiences and talking to others - regardless of how the labour started or progressed - one of the very most important factors in feeling positive about it afterwards was whether you felt you maintained some sort of control over the process.

I'm not talking about a birth ending a different way to your ideal plan, because 99% of the time things will not go as expected in some way. By maintaining control I mean feeling that you were as informed as you wished to be, and made appropriate decisions for yourself given the circumstances. So if you are ready and mentally prepared for induction, then brilliant. But if not, then don't hesitate to postpone. Don't be pressured.

MollyNollyNoo Wed 09-Jan-13 13:36:34

Was induced with DC's 1 and 3. Lots of waiting for things to get going. Definitely take the phone charger and magazines to read etc (and for your DH/DP if he is waiting with you). Snacks to keep you energy up are a good idea.

With DC1 I panicked a bit and didn't get to grips with the gas and air, in hindsight I wish that I have been a bit more pursuant with it, it would have made waiting for the epidural a bit easier (or perhaps I wouldn't have needed one at all, who knows).

With DC3 I had pethidine which gave me a bit of rest from the pain so that I was ready for the delivery...and gas and air most of the way through.

mejon Wed 09-Jan-13 14:00:42

I had one at 40+12 with DD2. I had a pessary at 9.00am and that started mild pains which were quite manageable. I was monitored for around 30 minutes afterwards. I was then able to leave the ward and go for a walk around the hospital but not leave the site. I had the 2nd pessary at 3pm and that really got things going and within 30 minutes or so I was having pretty intense contractions. I asked for pain relief and was offered a bath and a couple of paracetamols. The bath was useless and in fact made me worse and I was in too much pain to catch a breath to take the paracetamols. Gas and air was pretty useless for me too as it was with DD1 (I only seem to get any relief with it after I've delivered and am being stiched-up!) DD2 arrived at 7.30 after pushing for 5 minutes.

I had been quite worried about the induction as I'd read all sorts of horror stories on MN beforehand but luckily all was fine and I only needed a gentle kick-start.

Best of luck for Friday - chances are you'll have had the baby already smile.

HearMyRoar Wed 09-Jan-13 14:31:33

I was induced unexpectedly, I went in for a second opinion on my blood-pressure and was told I wasn't going home. DD was having none of it and it took days and days to get me going. The best thing i did was, after a couple of disturbed nights on an anti-natal ward with 3 other people, going and asking if they had a spare private room I could use for a night. This gave me a bit of peace and privacy and the next morning I was finally dilated enough for them to break my waters.

So my bit of advice is if things do take a while or you feel you need some space don't hesitate to speak to a midwife about it, mine were really lovely and I only wish I'd asked earlier! smile

Weissdorn Wed 09-Jan-13 15:00:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Glup Wed 09-Jan-13 15:11:45

Hmmm. I'm another one who found that their induction kept getting bumped out of the way because of more urgent cases. I went in on the Thursday and didn't actually get induced until Sunday evening.

I had loads of books and magazines etc. but was utterly bored and, as I thought I was going to be taken in any minute, didn't really feel like I could start anything.

When I was actually induced it took 6 hours, but was fine, really.

RockabillyKitty Wed 09-Jan-13 15:17:19

Wow thanks ladies, lots of great advice here, particularly asking for a private room, thanks HearMyRoar and downloading some podcasts, thanks redexpat

Got plenty of mags, ipad for games & music & I never go away without my phone charger. I'm prepared that it might start Friday, or I might be there til Monday! I'm also taking ear plugs if I have a long wait on the ward wink

I do feel much calmer about it now, having not only read the negative experiences, but the positive ones too. And I've spoken to my midwife about the specifics of my hospital and what to expect there.

A common theme seems to be trusting your body. I will really try and channel what's happening to me because, I think a lot of us with first babies (me included) assume the experts know best, and it's not always the case. And I'll try not to be afraid to to speak up for myself or do what I feel is right.

Good point re being happy about making the right decisions at the time brainonastick. Just because I'm being induced doesn't mean I can't try and take control of some things. If the pessary works I'm going to say I want to be as mobile as possible, and ask to go in the pool providing I don't need continual monitoring. Even if I do I can ask for longer leads on the machine, I don't want to be bed bound. If I have to have the drip - total opposite, I'll ask for the epidural to be sited before the drip goes in. I think I'll have had enough by then!

Thanks again chicas! xx

brainonastick Wed 09-Jan-13 15:56:29

Good luck, its exciting times!

Use the time until then to fill the freezer with easy food for the next month, so you can maximise baby snuggling and sleeping time.

designerbaby Wed 09-Jan-13 17:39:39

I'd not necessarily resign yourself to induction on Friday either... A lot happen in 48 hours! I'd strongly recommend acupuncture as something to try... Ask your local NCT to recommend someone...

And take time to consider your options before any interventions are undertaken. Things can snowball pretty quickly, and sometimes they have the clock ticking. Sometimes things take longer to take effect than they might like. But if baby is well and happy, and you're well and happy, there's really no rush, and you can ask them to hold off if you want.

Try not to get impatient. These things can take time, and it's generally better to allow your body to take the time it needs. Try to relax. Sleep as much and as often as you can.

You'll meet your baby soon....

Good luck!


OverWintered Wed 09-Jan-13 19:32:14

As previous posters have said, If I could go back in time I would have insisted on an epidural before going down the Syntocinon (oxytocin) drip route. the pessary seemed ok and got things moving along, but not quickly enough so they put me on the drip. I had gas and air at this stage. It was ok at first, but drip kept being increased and then on the final increase things happened so fast. It was like a long, never ending contraction, things moved very quickly, it was v v painful. Nededed episiotomy too.

A few years later my second labour was also just on gas and air, but a normal delivery. the diff in pain was vast IME. I could handle it this time, it really was a whole world away from the syntocinon experience.

coorong Wed 09-Jan-13 20:38:52


serisously I could bore you with my induction which ended in caesarian, but know we all react differently to the stuff they stick up you and in you - but if you can sit on one of these - they're fun and ease the pain

coorong Wed 09-Jan-13 20:40:45

Agree on the syntonsin - I ended up sucking so much gas/air I started vomitting. The amazing anaesthatist stuck the epidural in between me lurching for the bucket and some incredible painful contractions.

Randomkath Wed 09-Jan-13 21:10:14

I was induced at 38 weeks with twins and was dreading it due to all the horror stories, but my birth experience wasn't that bad at all in the end, and it seems there are just as many other positive stories as traumatic ones, so i'd say try to relax, get as much rest now as possible and don't lose precious sleep worrying about it. You sound pretty organised and well prepared, nothing more you can do but of luck!

I had the pessary at 9am, and at 12 was starting to dilate nicely and only slight niggles. All kicked off after they broke my waters at 3pm. Went into continuous contractions, but got the epidural in quick so didn't have to deal with the intense pain for long. Then progressed well so I didn't need the hormone drip. Born at 11:30 and 11:50pm with forceps and episiotomy. I was so expecting it to take ages it took me a bit by surprise that it was all so straightforward and quick!

MollyNollyNoo Wed 09-Jan-13 21:34:34

I didn't realise until afterwards that it really is the thing to have an epidural with the oxytocin, I didn't ask for one because I got the impression that they didn't have enough staff to administer one in time (I was right, the MW said afterwards that it was just as well that I didn't ask).

On that basis I think it is worth getting your request for an epidural in sooner on the day rather than later.

HearMyRoar Wed 09-Jan-13 21:46:00

Agree about getting the epidural request in early. I made it clear at the start of the process that if it came to the drip I would want an epidural. Then as soon as it was mentioned as a certainty I reminded everyone I wanted one. Annoyingly despite all this it turned out i have a wonky spine and it only partially worked, but even so it was a life saver.

Oh and say all this as someone who had a home birth planned (had the pool and everything) until my bp shot up on my due date, so not an automatic heavy pain relief advocate by any stretch.

dogindisguise Wed 09-Jan-13 21:46:15

The early stages can be a bit boring if you're just on a monitor so take books/scrabble/DVD etc. be prepared for possible quick labour too. I think my time between second lot of prostin gel and becoming fully dilated was about 2.5 hours and I thought it would be much longer.

HeffalumpsAndWoozles Wed 09-Jan-13 21:58:39

I've had one full 'all bells & whistles' induction with DD1 which began on the Saturday night with a pessary and ended in 2.5 hour 'established' labour on monday morning with ARM and syntocin drip, aided by gas & air. The pain was certainly intense but I think that was mostly due to having to be on my back on the bed, and I've heard other people say they were able to move a bit more during theirs so you may or may not have that issue.

DD2 was induced by ARM only so her birth was much nicer as I was allowed in the birth pool. It was also quicker as I went in on Saturday morning, did a lot of waiting around to be examined and then had waters broken just after half 6 in the evening and water birth at 9pm that Saturday night.

The waiting around is boring and nerve wracking, I had my DH with me for as long as visiting hours and child care arrangements would allow. We played cards a lot! For DD2 I was more prepared and just took my kindle and some relaxing music so DH got to go home for the bulk of the waiting around part. Lots of walking, gentle stretching, warm bath if at all possible, and if you can get some sleep in then do!

Good luck, your baby will be in your arms before you know it!

vix206 Wed 09-Jan-13 22:01:20

I'd insist on epidural if you are put on the oxytocin drip. I wasn't able or have one due to no anaesthetist and it was genuinely like one constant contraction for 5 hours. Wouldn't recommend! All they gave me was paracetamol. If I have a 2nd I will be much more assertive!!!

bealos Wed 09-Jan-13 22:54:14

Go home if you can! I didn't find I was bored, more miserable sat on a ward with loads of other women, moaning in different stages of 'latent' labour... felt like cattle!

I'd heard that you can have the pessary and then labour at home for as long as possible til (or if) you want to go into hospital.

I'm 38 weeks now and was induced previously at 42+14. I would wait longer this time and be monitored daily if I go past then. And, as another poster suggested, try acupuncture - probably the only thing I didn't do last time.

Remember, just because you're being induced, doesn't mean you are higher risk than someone who's gone into labour naturally. If you've not had an epidural, you don't need constant monitoring. You can still use the birth pool etc.

bealos Wed 09-Jan-13 22:55:42

**correction - I was induced last time at 40+14. smile

roseum Wed 09-Jan-13 23:06:08

My labour went on a fairly long time, eventually they decided I needed to be on the drip to get things going, as I wasn't dilating very fast. Having heard that the drip can make things very painful - I asked for and got an epidural - v good decision as things turned complicated in the end (nothing to do with the induction - foetal distress due to PFB having tied knots in his umbilical cord). The gas and air just made me sick (was v disappointed at that, as some people describe lovely trippy time on G&A).
Anyway - TENS machine was amazing for the 36 or so hours I was in first stage labour, before the drip, and I know people who started with a pessary induction who also used a TENS machine successfully. If you do use one, make sure you have plenty of the right batteries (I hired my TENS machine, and they sent a spare battery, but I obviously hammered through them - DH had to make a midnight run to the petrol station to get more).
Once labour started, I couldn't bear to eat, at all (or drink), or have anyone eating near me, or any smelly food on their breath, so make sure you are well hydrated and nourished before-hand, in case you are the same (bring snacks otherwise, for you and DP, and cash and cards in case you have to buy more in the hospital).

3smellysocks Wed 09-Jan-13 23:53:18

I think being induced by gel etc can be very normal labor wise. You can just wonder about etc.

My first vaginal birth was induced by drip though and was told to expect a 10 hour labor. I was determined not to have a epidural but gave in after two and a half hours of pain. Annoyingly enough I gave birth to my son half an hour later. I really wouldn't have bothered with the epidural if i'd have known birth was that close.

Basically I went in totally not in labor, they put me on the drip and it was like going from zero to 100 miles per hour with in seconds. At one point they turned up the drip so the birth was faster! It was quite nice to have my son in my arms so quickly and after such a short labor but it hurt like nothing I have ever known.

My cousin also had a drip induction but had a nicer longer birth of 10 hours. I think she was in early labor when they put the drip in and she seemed to manage really well.

My second vaginal birth was totally normal and amazing. No drips and so instead there was a steady build of of endorphins. It only lasted 3 hours but was really easy.

MoetEtPantsOn Thu 10-Jan-13 07:52:16

I was induced for both of mine. Had pessaries and sleeping pill last thing at night, let DH go home, slept brilliantly, another pessary in morning and kicked off eventually. We watched a box set of a DVD series we both wanted to see the next day to pass the time. Good when it got more painful too.

Both my births were relatively good. Had epidurals, which were wonderful and quite big babies with lots of pushing (an hour both times) but nothing to worry about. Good luck.

Ps was especially good being induced second time around on due date as helped sort out childcare for older child!

SolidGoldFrankensteinandmurgh Thu 10-Jan-13 12:36:11

Was induced at 40+5 due to high blood pressure; went in to hospital on the Thursday morning and hung around all day due to more urgent cases overtaking me (My tip, which is of course useless to the OP, is don't get up the duff over Xmas as your DC will be born in late September, along with all the other DCs concieved during the festive season, and the labour ward will be like Piccadilly Circus). My friend who was going to be one birthing partner was with me most of the day and my mum, who was going to be the other, was at home with me phoning her every two hours or so going 'No, they've not given me anything yet. Have your lunch... No, have your dinner, don't worry...' and at about 10pm I suggested she go to bed and I'd call her in the morning. Mum, having none of it, insisted she was coming in to see me so I asked her to bring me the book I'd left on the bedside table. She arrived just as the nurse was sending K, my mate, home so there were a few words said... Anyway, left to myself (in a private room, which was OK) I went to bed, a doctor came in for another BP check and went, ooh, don't know, maybe we'd better induce you now. I said that as both my birth partners had just been sent home, they could bloody well wait till the morning and I promised not to die in the night.

First pessary at 6am, mum and K arrived at about 9ish, not much happened till lunchtime. I got strapped to the bed for the monitor and got very fed up after an hour of it, then they gave me another dose of the gel and let me know that as long as I kept the monitor pads in place I could stand up and walk round my bed if I wanted. Contractions got going then, and after an hour or two I asked for gas and air. I got sick after a few minutes but persevered, and had a rather spectacular hallucinogenic trip until about 7pm when I leapt off the bed saying I wanted the loo, and my waters went all over the floor blush. So they hurtled me down to the delivery room, all got a bit blurry for a while. I do remember someone saying that maybe it would have to be a c-section after all, and protesting, and then they gave me a catheter and shortly after that, out shot DS.

Actually, one thing I would say, OP, is that sometimes being induced can make it a bit harder to BF, so if that's what you want to do, try to get extra BF support.
GOod luck, anyway.

cuggles Thu 10-Jan-13 12:53:38

I was induced with DC2 and you might find like me that there is no wait. I was 38 weeks and waters went but no labour so after 36 hrs or so I was induced. They inserted the pessary thing and I was told I would be going to the labour ward for up to 6 hrs to see what happened but from insertion to birth = 56 mins. I would say it was a bit more shocking than my waterbirth first time round as so quick but had gas only for birth so noticed no difference pain wise and in terms of being relaxed I was terrified about induction and had planned a home water birth so wasn't exactly going with the flow. You just never know what might happen...good luck!

Rupeomatic Thu 10-Jan-13 15:22:50

Just to add my twopenneth - I was induced with all three of mine - all around 2 weeks over due date. Each experience was different and took varying amounts of time. No epidural for me - I found pethidine with gas and air was good enough (but I had heard too many bad experiences about epidurals so was too scared to have one - if you want one, have one and ask early!).

I would agree that it can actually be pretty boring hanging around at the hospital - and its hard to concentrate on anything because you are waiting for your body to 'do something' - be prepared in case it doesn't. Playing cards are great - Uno also fab if people come to visit. Also, don't be afraid to send your DP home for a while if you are hanging around waiting (unless you live a long way from where you are having the baby). I found when my DH was bored it really irritated me, cos I was bored too and I couldn't be bothered to worry about him grin

thefudgeling Thu 10-Jan-13 16:12:54

I was induced as my waters broke and had meconium in, so was put on the syntocin(?sp) drip asap. Anyway, just wanted to say, even on 2 drips and with a monitior strapped to me, I was allowed to stand up and move around fo most of the early contranctions and it really helped with the pain and woth moving things along a bit. 1st midwife wouldn't let me but when she went home the next one was much nicer. So do argue the toss if they say you have to lie down the whole time.

For the pushing, however, I was on my side on the bed. Totally whacked out on pethidine and gas and air. Don't tihnk I could have stood up if I tried. Pushing ws really quick though (20 minutes), which was great!

Tailtwister Thu 10-Jan-13 18:45:40

I was induced at 37 weeks with DS, initially due to OC but then my waters broke and I didn't go into labour naturally.

They tried a pessary first to soften the cervix, but that didn't work so they went onto a syntocin drip. I ended up on a very high does (nothing happened for ages) and DS1 was born around 18 hours later.

I would go prepared for the long haul. Books, magazines and lots of snacks. We had a few different bags which we left in the car and DH went to get as as when needed. In the end it was more for his comfort than mine, as I didn't really want anything once the drip was started. It's good to be prepared though!

Lintilla Thu 10-Jan-13 20:09:36

I was induced at 40+12 but nothing happened for 4 days - nothing. I had lots of the gel stuff but there was nothing doing so I ended up having a CS.

But I just wanted to say that before all this I had wanted an absolutely natural birth, in a local birthing centre, in a pool with just gas and air but having to be induced changed all this. I thought I could still try to labour quite naturally and move around. The reality was that nothing that I had wanted before happened and the two things I said I never, ever wanted were a) an epidural because I hate needles and b) a cesarian and then I ended up with both.

But actually, my cs ended up being elective and it was really calm and lovely. I told the midwives that I really wanted skin to skin and they gave DD straight to me to put under my gown, took her away to be cleaned up and then put her straight back. The surgeon held her up facing me so I was the first one to see her and see what she was.

In the end I didn't give a stuff how she got there, the important thing was that she was there.

Oh, and I would second having a few different bags if you are in for the long haul. I had 2 hospital bags, one for during with snacks, amusements, books etc and one for afterwards with clean night things, baby stuff, etc.

OneMoreGo Thu 10-Jan-13 23:11:26

If I was induced again I would take my own pillow and an ipod. And some bottles of water that have been frozen and can melt slowly as I got very hot (hospitals are fecking boiling) and craved iced water.
And I would have an epidural if they use a drip to move things along, as that ratcheted up the pain something shocking. It can go from nothing to excruciating v fast with the drip so bear that in mind.

Reminding yourself that it will pass and you will be home with your beautiful baby very soon is also good smile

IAmSheWhoMustBeObeyed Thu 10-Jan-13 23:16:04

I'd say take your own pillow, try and rest and eat well before the date so that you have plenty of energy and yes it can be boring so stock up on whatever you want to get you through 2-3 days of hanging around.
Stay as mobile as possible. Take nice food as hospital food can be yuck and you will need energy when the time comes.
Try not to be tense. I was terrified the first time which I think made it worse.

designerbaby Fri 11-Jan-13 12:38:12

Good luck today OP...


bealos Fri 11-Jan-13 13:55:58

Yes good luck! Hope all goes well....

designerbaby Tue 15-Jan-13 22:30:18

RockabillyKitty are you there? Are you ok?

Hope you're just too involved with your newborn to check in...

<frets slightly>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now