Castor oil? and where do I buy it?

(17 Posts)
Rockchick1984 Fri 22-Mar-13 16:15:12

Hope the poster isn't still overdue - thread is from 2010!!

Purplecatti Fri 22-Mar-13 14:05:25

Go for evening primrose oil instead

GERTgert06 Tue 19-Mar-13 18:34:14

I tried it over 30 years ago, when I was about 42+5. Can't really say it worked, I didn't manage to swallow very much, as it tastes completely vile!

Notmyidea Mon 18-Mar-13 19:48:05

I decided to risk castor oil over medical induction, but these choices are very personal. Two teaspoons in a glass of orange juice morning and evening worked for me.

enckgsyl Sun 17-Mar-13 19:53:00

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Expressing motion didn't work for me... think trying to find a pirate radio station with a very weak signal wink

And if you get really desperate you don't need to have sex. It's the seaman that triggers labour so you could <ahem> give your DH a hand blush and then inseminate yourself.

Or see if you can get an appointment with a reflexologist, have a sweep and a very hot curry.

Good Luck!

pregnantpeppa Sun 02-May-10 22:13:10

OK so consensus is no castor oil.... off to try more nipple twiddling, have been trying expressing motion while looking at pics of my DD bf-ing when she was a baby. DH is totally not up for sex, and I'm not really up for shimmying attempts at seduction at 42 weeks pregnant (unlikely to be a very successful seduction). Damn him.

IagreewithNick Sun 02-May-10 20:44:17

Have a curry followed by a shag instead

FabIsGoingToGetFit Sun 02-May-10 20:43:27

Just to echo - caster oil is not a great idea.

You can buy castor oil (is quite good to use instead of expensive cleanser) but do not recommend drinking it.

Have you tried twiddling your nipples like you're trying to tune in an analogue radio/are a 15yo boy attempting foreplay? Worked for me. You need to do it for quite a while though. About half an hour did the trick. That and very spicy pizza and beer (but that's because I have an intolerence to melted cheese and beer so might not work for everyone!)

emsyj Sun 02-May-10 20:36:15

Hmmm, MIL works in Holland and Barratt and told me you can't buy castor oil in the UK any more. NO IDEA if that is true by the way, but she said the pharmacy don't sell it and they send their customers to Holland & Barratt instead and she tells them that they're not allowed to sell it. I was desperate for something to solve my excruciating constipation and IBS but have had to stick to the slow-burn of lactulose.

Might lactulose help shift any, ahem, build-up down there?

pregnantpeppa Sun 02-May-10 20:15:31

Oh dammit - didn't know it could cause baby to pass meconium. I knew it would cause diarrhea in me and was prepared for that. My mother is nagging me every day to take it as she took it with me (apparently I was 3 weeks late!). I will tell her to shut up. But tried everything else apart from DTD other than once as DH can't bring himself to do it although I think that he got this baby in and he should bloody well try and get it out!

Noooooo! Don't take it!

Try some nipple twiddling smile

LadyOfTheFlowers Sun 02-May-10 20:11:12

Castor oil can cause the same effects in the baby as it does in you - so it could cause the baby to pass meconium - not good.

SparklyJules Sun 02-May-10 20:09:19

I've heard that Castor oil is a definite no-no!

crackpotdog Sun 02-May-10 20:07:28

i'm 41 plus 2 and my midwife said deffo no to castor oil!!

pregnantpeppa Sun 02-May-10 20:06:07

42+2 today. Baby OK on today's daily monitoring but had low amnotic fluid on a scan last week and under pressure to have a section which I will probably cave into on Tuesday or Wednesday. Can't be induced because of previous section and desperate to avoid another section. Has anyone tried castor oil, where do I buy it and how do I take it? Thanks in advance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now