Birthing Stools

(8 Posts)
RoseBlossoms Tue 05-Jan-10 17:02:48

I cant seem to find one to hire cheaper than £195!

I really want one as during first labour i found the most comfortable position was on the toilet! We are planning on a home birth and my bathroom is far too small for anyone else to be in there with me!

Worth £195?

I couldn't find any either last March.

We also had a home birth and I spent a large portion of the time perched on the loo. Our bathroom is really very, very tiny. Two people can just about stand in there together at once and it was fine. I had the door open which helped!

I did ask my NCT teacher if she knew anywhere and she didn't. Although she did suggest cutting out the front of a normal stool. But my DH is not really equipped for such manly DIY sadly grin

Fibilou Tue 05-Jan-10 19:23:20

Fuck ! Do the MWs not have one available ? I'm going to a birth centre where they're heavily into active birth and the stool was just a standard bit of kit. It was just a heavy bit of plastic - I'd be gobsmacked if I had to pay £200 to hire t shock

Fibilou Tue 05-Jan-10 19:24:05

If I remember I will ask at my antenatal appointment on Saturday for you

flybynight Wed 06-Jan-10 10:09:21

I've been trying to find the same thing. I highly rate birthing stools - it is my only piece of labour advice if anyone ever asks me.

I'm in discussion with an aquabirthing company near me about getting one made for my April homebirth so that they can then hire it out afterwards. I'm speaking to them again later this month - I'll let you know how I get on.

RoseBlossoms Wed 06-Jan-10 14:18:08

Thanks so much for your replys.

I dont have a birthing centre just hospital unit near me, they are no help!

I have googled and emailed lots of people they only thing i can find is the expensive one.

I would be willing to pay delivery + hire (if reasonable!) costs if anyone can locate one for me!

victoriascrumptious Wed 06-Jan-10 18:41:23

What about a commode? Would that do?

woodenbirthstools Sat 01-May-10 18:18:49

I make and sell oak birth stools on ebay.

To find them just type in birth stools in ebay or copy and paste this link.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140404002366&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now