My sis is allergic to opiate based drugs - what are her choices in childbirth?

(10 Posts)
hotmama1 Tue 28-Jun-05 14:27:03

My sis who is 35 weeks pregnant went to her first Parentcraft session at the weekend - and she is now crapping it!

Although, she is leaving her options open re drugs in childbirth - she does think she will veer that way. However, she has now realised that she can't have pethadene(sp) diamorphine or a mobile epidural as these are all opiate based. She thinks all her choices are gas & air, TENS machine and the old fashioned fully drugged-up epidural that isn't opiate based.

Anyone got any advice - cos she is thinking of taking a mallet to knock herself out!

She aint the type who wants to go for a water birth with essentail oils.

AFAIK she has listed all her options. But, on the other hand, Tens, G&A, water (at home in the ordinary bath), breathing, moving about, help from dh all worked very well for me. And I'm no earth-mother knit-your-own-whatever either. Courage! It won't be all that awful, truly!

hotmama1 Tue 28-Jun-05 14:55:03

Bump - for any advice!

starrynight Tue 28-Jun-05 15:48:53

Has she considered labouring outside of the hospital environment? Is there a birth centre nearby? They are (IME) far better equipped and prepared to support a woman through a drug-free birth. Well worth looking into.

Also, studies have shown that a doula or supportive female friend (who has given birth herself) reduces the need for pain relief. HTH.

starlover Tue 28-Jun-05 16:06:07

if she does need drugs though there is certainly nothing wrong with a old fashioned epidural!

i said i wouldn't have one and it was so awful that i ended up begging for it.. didn't care what they gave me as long as the pain ended!!!! lol

mears Tue 28-Jun-05 16:08:15

What happens when she has opiates? Has she been formally diagnosed as being allergic?

If so, would Meptid be an alternative for her?

mears Tue 28-Jun-05 16:10:30

Some info on meptid. It is an opioid though.

Meptid or Meptazinol

Meptid is similar to pethidine but causes fewer side effects in mother and baby. Nausea and vomiting are the only unwanted effects that still tend to be a problem. Because it does not make you feel sleepy, meptid is often used for women having water-births.

starrynight Tue 28-Jun-05 16:16:58

I thought meptid was an opioid. Not all units use it either.

mears Tue 28-Jun-05 17:51:58

Can be ordered from pharmacy though. We don't use it but a mum requested it as she had it for her previous labour in a different hospital.

hotmama1 Tue 28-Jun-05 18:18:02

My sis told me that she had some sort of reaction to morphine when she had an operation on her hand a few years ago I think she was really sick but don't know all the details. Apparently, they give you 3 injections in varying strength the last injection cost £250? - don't know if this means anything to you medical people.

I think she just intends to see how it goes but I know she wants to veer towards a medical birth - she can't see the point about suffering - whereas I slant towards non-interventionist/water birth kind of thing - not that my birth went that way.

I have told her that having an epidural means it is more likely that you may have some sort of intervention - I had one and a delightful forceps delivery - but I'm pregnant again so she knows that you do have sex eventually and that the memory of childbirth does fade.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now