period-like cramps at 39 weeks?

(140 Posts)
Comma2 Sat 24-Oct-09 16:15:49

I have period like cramps that are on and off, as well as nausea on and off, and BH on top. Feel pretty crappy. Baby is not engaged I think, but is this something to do with labour or just the usual aches?

memorylapse Sat 24-Oct-09 16:18:38

could be a good sign..my labour with dd1 started with period like cramps which eventually got stronger...however if you are not feeling well I would ring your midwife for advice

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sat 24-Oct-09 16:21:22

oooooooh Comma! It could be it! Baby does not always engage prior to labour...and often labour starts with period pains...i would call midwife. If you have a stomach bug or something, you might want to seek medical advice anyway, as you are so close to your due date....

<claps hands>

Could be you be the 4th? grin

gladbag Sat 24-Oct-09 16:24:07

My labour started with what felt very much like period pains from when I was a teenager - low down aches and cramps. Turned out that was what all my contractions felt like, as the same sort of pain simply got more intense and closer together and my son was born 12 hours later..... I didn't have any BH so can't comment on that, but it sounds as if you could be in early labour.

Rest up, sleep, eat - see how it goes and good luck!

Comma2 Sat 24-Oct-09 16:47:46

So does the belly not necessarily bunch up with those period-cramp like contractions? because mine doesn't. Just feel like crap and cramps for a short minute, then okay again. Should I time this?

Don't necessarily want to go into labour this weekend, as my doctor isn't in the hospital till Monday...not that it is up to me though, I understand. smile

LauraIngallsWilder Sat 24-Oct-09 16:50:58

Comma2 - that is how I felt before my second birth. I felt like that at 5pm
I knew I was in labour at 9pm

DD was born at 2am

I would make sure my bag was packed if I were you

pipWereRabbit Sat 24-Oct-09 17:01:45

Comma2 - that's how my labout began second time round. Very definite period pains, which quickly settled into full blown contractions. First pain to birth was 9 hours.

I'd think about getting yourself sorted in case you need to head off to hospital. However labour is a fickle thing and all may well settle down again.

I'll be watching this thread to see how you get on.

Comma2 Sat 24-Oct-09 17:37:46

Thank you lovely ladies!

I took a bath and haven't had the cramps for half an hour now. Maybe I will try and get my circulation going a bit even though I feel like curling up and moaning. My lower belly is all achy and still have BHs.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sat 24-Oct-09 17:45:13

Even if this is not true labour, it could certainly be your body warming up in readiness, so get your bags by the door in earnest. Maybe LO is hanging on til monday for you, just practising!

LadyOfTheFlowers Sat 24-Oct-09 17:55:33

39 weeks and period-ish cramps?!

Sounds good to me!!

<settles down>

LadyOfTheFlowers Sat 24-Oct-09 17:58:19

PS: Even if it doesn't progress into labout, it could still dilate you, in my experience, so it's all good.

Take some paracetamol if you like.

JustBeBuffy Sat 24-Oct-09 18:22:32

Good luck! smile

Comma2 Sat 24-Oct-09 19:24:56

no more cramps...just BH every now and then, but with lots of pressure in the pelvis.

Will use the time and get things ready, just in case.

LadyOfTheFlowers Sun 25-Oct-09 00:18:01

If it has come to nothing Comma, don't worry, don't get disheartened if you were hoping that was it.

I had pains on and off for a couple of days with DS2, say Monday then nothing till Wednesday and when I went 3 days over, I went for a sweep and she told me I was already 4cms dilated - put a smile on my face!

If you are snuggled up in your bed now, at least your bag is ready and you never know, you might have your baby by the morning!

sb6699 Sun 25-Oct-09 00:23:53

Ooohhh, I love these threads.

Sounds promising to me.

With baby no1 I had period like pains for 24 hours before "established labour".

Good luck xx

EtherealFiByTheSea Sun 25-Oct-09 00:42:01

ooo definitely a possible sign! you may well vomit or get a bit of loose bowels too.. your body having a bit of a clear out in advance.. good luck & hope you get some sleep grin

Comma2 Sun 25-Oct-09 14:08:50

Nothing yet! I kept having BH and the eventual stronger contraction, nausea on and off, and lost more plug, but besides of BH it all went away during the night. Now bit of achy back, squirmy baby and lots of loo-activity, but that doesn't really mean anything I guess (ate prunes, smart me).

Will exert myself today, grocery shopping, vacuum cleaning, heaving baby on slides on playground (ugh) to see if I can't get things started again....

If I would have known what all I can do without going into labour, I could have done a construction job for the last 9 months. shock

LauraIngallsWilder Sun 25-Oct-09 14:14:30

Hi Comma - I was on and off the loo for the four hours preceding being in proper labour with dd

I bet you have a baby in your arms sooner than later - all the signs are there

Good luck

Hopeful2 Sun 25-Oct-09 14:25:32

Comma2 I have been having period type cramps since 8pm Wednesday & back ache but this has been on/off. I have not lost any plug yet from what I can tell but I do keep leaking (not wee, but not enough to warrant a pad either)...soz for tmi. When I walk it hurts as I was told by MW on Friday that baby was well & truly engaged & ready to come...I'm still waiting.
Been for walks & drinking lots of raspberry leaf tea...
I hope it happens for u & me soon. Good luck

mosschops30 Sun 25-Oct-09 14:30:37

comma me too, had bad (what mustve been) BH on friday eve, every 4 minutes lasting up to a minute at a time. Eventually went in the bath and they stopped.
Ive also been feeling nauseous, really heavy, sharp pains very low down inside.
No show or anything as yet though.

Am sitting here drinking raspberry leaf tea (pineapple in the fridge grin) hoping to start something

Good luck smile

Hopeful2 Sun 25-Oct-09 14:35:16

Mosschops30 it's frustrating isn't it! Just got back from a slow walk as I was told walking helps, going to try & do this everyday. Good luck & keep us posted

Comma2 Sun 25-Oct-09 17:22:44

It is very frustrating! I went on a walk too, then grocery shopping but got seriously annoyed with all selfish people cutting in line right in front of me with huge carts, parking in the stork parking even though obviously male, etc. But is just frustration that nothing happens anymore after being so definitely on to something yesterday.

Hopful and mosschops, when are your due dates then? We can do this!
I still will clean the house, do some unnecessary baking, eat a hugely overpriced pineapple and talk Dh into helping out tonight. grin If nothing else it'll keep me from thinking dire thoughts about going over.

grin stork parking hmm

Comma2 Sun 25-Oct-09 17:29:10

that's what they call it! ( Do I miss something? V. well possible as brain mush) And I wished everybody who isn't pregnant would STAY CLEAR OF IT!

maniacbug Mon 26-Oct-09 10:05:05

Hopeful, Comma + Mosschops (hello!) can I join you?! I'm 39w and also been having backache and period-like cramps combined with tightenings every night since Thurs. Seems to wear off when I'm moving about, but then during the day I get waves of nausea, lots of pressure very low down and some sharp, stabbing pains in what I imagine to be my cervix area. This weekend I tried: clary sage (both in bath and massaged with oil onto bump, on recommendation of nice lady in Neal's Yard), ultra-spicy food, lots of walking, bouncing on ball, long walks, vigorous scrubbing of floors and shower and (optimistically but not particularly enthusiastically!) bedroom antics. Result: NOTHING! Am so frustrated. My other 2 were born at 37w and 38w so was all geared up for early arrival this time too. Will keep checking this thread to see if anything happening for you ladies... good luck one and all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now