Cord Blood Banking?

(38 Posts)
QTPie Sun 18-Oct-09 16:48:44

I mused whether to post here or in pregnancy, but it is more to do with the actual birth I think...

Has anyone any experience/recommendations for this? I appreciate that it is a sort of "baby insurance policy" that may never be used (i.e. having cord blood collected and then stored for 25 years). You pay £1500/£1800 to collect and store something that you pray that you will never have yo use.

We saw three companies at the Baby Show this weekend:
- Smart Cells
- Future Health
- UK Cord Blood Bank Ltd

I spoke to the former company the most, but perhaps the latter company seemed the most medical/laboratory based (which seemed more technicallly reassuring).

Anyone have experience or any opinions (on which company, rather than whether to do it at all or not...)? I appreciate that it is difficult to have "full" experience unless you have needed to actually use the cells (i.e. the collection can be fine, but you don't know whether they were effectively collected and stored until you come to use them).

Thanks
QT

CarlaM0rgan Thu 13-Dec-12 10:56:57

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

sarah301075 Mon 31-Dec-12 11:31:31

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Adelaide123 Fri 11-Jan-13 00:39:36

Be careful here... I went into this post knowledge research over months. Virgin sample too small to be used (bit kept for your child) once they donate it to be used by any needy person globally. My concern was that why so expensive if giving it away? Can they guarantee to keep your sample if you need it - NO! I then looked at Cells4life but they do not 50:50 split sample as they suggest, buyer beware... Not the secure option they suggest with two samples when ONE is TINY... arrggghhh! I found it all frustrating and didn't in the end confused

CatherineBT Tue 29-Jan-13 17:01:28

CatherineBT Tue 29-Jan-13 17:18:45

marylee41186 Sat 16-Feb-13 05:56:12

inadreamworld Sat 16-Feb-13 08:17:02

chegirl I am so sorry for your loss. I wanted to donate to NHS to help others but both times gave birth on a Saturday so there was no one to collect the cord blood. Pity. Why couldn't they keep it until the following Monday? Will try again if lucky enough to have DC3.

rachelandphil Tue 30-Apr-13 15:09:42

My husband is a doctor and he researched all the companies. In the end we went with Cells4Life because of the whole blood. Just look at their web site and you will see that you can treat a lot more diseases with their method http://www.cells4life.co.uk/when-should-i-store-whole-blood.

CatherineBT Wed 22-May-13 16:39:50

missrlr Thu 23-May-13 10:39:51

@CatherineBT - are you a stem cell biologist? Who do you work for? What are your credentials to make these statements?

TheJudge8 Thu 23-May-13 14:02:54

I always find these forums interesting if not a little amusing!

I AM a stem cell biologist and I worry about folks being given incorrect info in this important field. CatherineBT seems to have a problem with Cells4Life (a UK company) from her previous posts and nothing but praise from the bank she used (Precious Cells). I would like to point out a couple of misunderstandings (at best) or deliberate attempts to mislead (at worst) from CatherineBT.
1. The fact that a stem cell bank couldn't transport quickly enough is ridiculous
2. The only reason most of us store volume reduced cells is cost....its cheaper to store smaller volumes
3. All separation technologies leaves significant red cell content it is difficult to obtain a pure nucleated cell fraction (so 4 applies to those too)
4. Peer reviewed publications show that the it is red cells which burst ( or hemolyze), but this has no ill effect upon transplantation (no need even to first wash before transplant)
By far the most worrying thing said is contained in the final sentence (it is this sentence which spurred me into writing rather than just laughing at the comments). CatherineBT suggests that a client of one bank can easily move the cells to another and get volume reduction performed less expensively. This is such terrible advice I can hardly believe it. There would be widespread cell death as the blood would need to be thawed and then re-frozen-you would be lucky to retain any viability in this scenario.
CatherinBT - If you are scientifically trained (or linked to any particular bank) you should be ashamed at the paucity of your knowledge, if you are as you say a client of a bank, maybe you should call them and get clarification as to the feasibility of your advice before posting it. I am sure they wouldn't thank you for giving them the headache of having to deal with this type of request if they are a bone fide operator.

We went with Future Health (blood and tissue collection) and were very happy with the service. The phlebotomist that they arranged was great, and she had to wait for about six hours into the early hours of the morning with no complaint. Will use them for milk-tooth cells when the time comes too.

mummyto5ive Tue 10-Sep-13 11:44:40

I looked into having my cord blood stored for future use for my sisters who suffer with a lifelong condition. I saw Cells4Life on Facebook and got in touch with the admin on their page. They were extremely helpful, talked me through the whole process and were incredibly warm friendly and approachable taking the time to answer all the questions that i had (and there were a fair few!!). They had answers to everything i needed to know and also spent a lot of time and effort researching into my sisters conditions to be certain it was something that could help them in the future, something they didn't have to do but still took the time to. I found my experience with them very positive, the two ladies i spoke to were very competent and bend over backwards to meet my needs. They treated it with a personal touch and not once did i feel like a number or a statistic i was a person. I've recommended them as a company to everyone i've come into contact with since and one of my friends is due to use them in the next couple of months because of it. She is also very happy with the way they've handled her and been so informative. My partner was a little dubious of the whole banking issue but they put his mind at ease by also answering everything he had to ask and explaining to him in full where the blood goes, how its stored and what it can help with. I will continue to recommend them to people and cannot say one bad word about my experience.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now