Refused to go into hospital for induction at 40 + 10 days as I knew that all the women in my family long have pregnancies. I was 3 weeks overdue. However I went in for daily foetal monitoring and finally was induced at 40+15 as I was boared of the daily 60 mile round trip to the hospital. Induction was very easy, only pessaries no drip and only gas and air. I think I was probably about to go naturally by then so am pleased I held out for longer. BY the way, my placenta still was good and my baby got top marks in the apgar test thing.
It was not a battle but I think it could have turned into one had I not gone into labour as quickly after the threat suggestion as I did. The midwife said there was about 10 days of life left in my placenta when I did give birth, giving lie to the theory that it packs up after 40 weeks. (As per what Moonlight said.)
Towards the very end of a normal pregnancy the placenta can begin to deteriorate. It doesn't just 'stop' working because you 40weeks +14, nor does it 'begin' deteriorating at this time. Monitoring should be able to reassure you that it is still working well enough for the pregnancy to continue and in most cases it will be.
The human race was designed to survive ya know.
Risks associated with 'going over' can be less than those associated with being induced, so you have time, but do your homework.
Of course you can refuse. No intervention can be done without your express consent.
Hospitals/consultants have different policies/views from when on they get twitchy about how long to let a pregnancy continue. Induction is usually offered after 41 weeks. I had DS1 at 40+15 with induction and DS3 at 40+12 after 2nd membrane sweep (DS2 was emCS so does "not count" ) and am currently expecting DS4. I am planning to accept any offer of membrane sweeping once I am over dates as this has worked so well for me before. Also will receive "expectant management" ie daily monitoring. There is some evidence that the placenta can become less efficient late on in pregnancy, hence the increased risk in stillbirths. It is still a small risk but a statistical increase and you will find everybody will focus on scaringyou this. Every pregnancy does come to an end one way or another, LOL. I just figure babies come when they are good and ready.
If you refuse then you will be asked to see a registrar or consultant who will talk you through the risks. They will say there is a risk of the placenta not working as efficiently anymore as time goes on but you need to do your homework about the real risk compared to the risks of induction so you go in armed with stats!
They will then want you to go in every few days for monitoring. This took so long each time at my local hospital I was sure it was designed to wear me down and it worked.
You cannot be forced to have an induction. You will be able to discuss the potential risks and benefits of the options available to you with the team looking after you, but the decision about whether to accept induction or not is yours.
I refused. It is absolutely your legal right to refuse. Can you get hold of a copy of Your Birth Rights by Pat Thomas? It will tell you everything you need to know to make this decision with utter confidence.
I was induced at 40+12 with DD which led to a horrible, long labour which ended in forceps in theatre.
At the consultant check about 3mths after, he said I could refuse it next time if I wished and that too many people are induced that dont need it. Didnt take it in much as another Baby was the last thing on my mind.
Will now im Pg with number 2 its got me thinking.. What happens if I refuse? Do I just stay pregnant indefinately