UCH, Whittington or Royal Free?

(132 Posts)
sazza1970 Sun 25-Jan-09 11:07:28

Just wondering if anyone could help me decide where to have my baby. The Whittington is our closest hospital, and I'm due to go there at present (I'm 18 weeks), but have heard mixed reports; I'm considering the Royal Free as it's relatively near and is a bigger teaching hospital; UCH would be my first choice if it wasn't so far away. I'm an older first time mum (38) and am feeling really anxious about this decision. I've done tours of the Royal free and Whittington, but UCH doesn't allow you to look round... does anyone have any advice?

DyeInTheEar Fri 16-Nov-12 11:22:06

Earnest - hope your birth of DC2 went OK.

Just bumping this thread as have had some issues again with the Whit antenatal care - am 38 weeks so not much time to transfer if I feel I should so very keen to hear about North London maternity care. Thank you.

DyeInTheEar Thu 20-Dec-12 14:13:34

I had DS3 in the Whit last week. There was no room free in the birth centre when we arrived and the care we got in the labour ward was pretty bad as they were apparently enormously busy and overstretched. It was an hour before I was seen by MW and longer before I got gas and air. Spent 30 mins in the waiting room and 30 mins in a dirty triage room listening to the unattended screams of the woman next door calling for someone to help her. If it wasn't for DH I'd have had no one helping me. Once I had a MW - after about an hour - I found her to be uninvolved and spent all her time making notes in my book, barely spoke to me and sat away from us in between taking baby's heart beat.

However after about 4 hours on the labour ward I was lucky enough to get a room in the Birth Centre and I cannot praise the care and MWs and facilities highly enough. It was an incredible difference and I feel I owe everything to the MW who looked after me during a tricky delivery. She was amazing and her expertise ensured I didn't rip or have to go for an episiotomy. The team in the birth centre were all so kind, centred, controlled and their immense experience was obvious - I felt completely safe and well looked after. Such a difference between floors. So if you can go for a midwife led birth - I would highly recommend the birth centre at the Whit - they were amazing.

dikkertjedap Thu 20-Dec-12 20:47:17

I would if you can afford it go to the Portland Hospital. Clean, great care, excellent doctors and nurses.

drjohnsonscat Thu 20-Dec-12 20:51:54

Had DS at the new UCH in 2009 and it was good. Planned CS so I wasn't concerned about medicalisation - that' was part of the plan! Ante natal v good, delivery good, post natal on the ward a bit hit and miss.

chocolatemakeseverythingbetter Thu 31-Jan-13 22:50:51

Avoid the Royal Free at all costs! Haven't heard anything about the Whit but all good things about UCH.

babynelly2010 Sun 03-Feb-13 22:57:13

I wrote about my Whittington birth to dd on some other thread before to my dd. I had a wonderful water birth to my dd at the birth centere. but now I am pregnant again with dc 2 and registered with another trust due to relocation and now came to additional realizations... The only good thing about Whittington is the birth centere, the anti natal care is crap, and I consider myself lucky that I never got to experience the post natal ward. I did get a good care after having retained membranes as well but seriously I did not have to suffer entire nine months so I can give birth in the centre. In my current pregnancy I so far got an excellent care and they also have a beautiful birthing centere. I hope all continues go well and I will get another beautiful water birth.

I had DS2 at the midwife-led unit at the Whittington, all went very smoothly, the rooms are new and clean and a nice place to be afterwards. Think the labour ward is a bit dumpy though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now