Induction at 38 weeks?

(7 Posts)
Tinasan Tue 20-Jan-09 10:23:25

I am looking for any words of wisdom about induction at 38 weeks - I've been booked in for this next week, I'll be 38+2.

Reason for induction is that I have been suffering from high bp from early on. All the medication I am taking is making me so drowsy that I'm struggling to look after my 2 year old. (I had the same bp issues with my first pregnancy but obviously wasn't a problem as I didn't have kids and could sleep all day if necessary).

I don't know anything about induction and I'm worried that it won't work or will be really long as I'll only be 38 weeks - is it more likely to fail if you are nowhere near going into labour spontaneously? I went into labour naturally at 39 weeks with my first child so hopefully will be somewhere close but obviously that's not a given.

I'm thinking about cancelling the induction (I can do this can't I?) and waiting it out, but I don't know if I can get through another 3 or so weeks! Any advice much appreciated!!!

Tinasan Tue 20-Jan-09 12:28:00

anyone? smile

Hi Tina, all I can do is share my experience with you...
I was booked in for induction at 37+5 due to gestational diabetes. My first labour was very long so I wasnt much looking forward to it.
I have to be honest, it did take a while to "get going" so to speak. I had 3 applications of prostin gel - 8pm Monday, 9am Tuesday then 3pm Tuesday. It was 9pm on Tuesday night before my cervix had dilated enough to allow my waters to be broken. I had a couple of painkillers on the Tuesday night (periody type pains, nothing more) and my waters were broken at 10am on Wed morning. I was put on the syntocinon drip at 11am and DS was born at 2.40pm after 3 and a half hours of active labour. I had an epidural first time round, but this time managed with only gas and air.
Every labour is different and I had the same concerns as you, but it was deemed as medical necessity for me to have the baby that early and I have no regrets about allowing them to induce me. This labour was much, much quicker than the 36 hour hell of natural labour first time around.

MustHaveaVeryShortMemory Tue 20-Jan-09 13:02:02

Tinasan, I don't know if induction is more likely to fail if you're nowhere near to spontaneous labour. But yes of course you can cancel the induction if you would prefer to wait it out. In your shoes I would probably feel the same. Have you got help nearby? My SIL was induced at 38 weeks because one of her twins had stopped growing. It was very slow to get started (nothing happened for hours) but when she got going it was a quick birth. She just had paracetamol. (no time for anything else). I know you hear some bad induction stories but they aren't all. Good luck.

Tinasan Tue 20-Jan-09 13:16:36

Thanks for the responses. I don't have any help near at hand, my mum and MIL are both in different countries. MIL is now coming at the weekend because the induction has been booked in - so I guess I can't really cancel it if she's coming all this way to help. I think what I'm really concerned about is being in the antenatal ward for ages, possibly days, waiting for the prostin gel to work. I think my todder will be really upset if I'm away for days (last time was in and out of hospital in 1 day).

Hi Tinasan
Was induced at 39 weeks with both of mine due to raised BP. Was on fairly low dose of medication, though, as the Consultant said I was borderline in each case - certainly never felt as tired as you describe.
Only had the prostin gel in each case then went on to labour with only a few whiffs of gas and air.
So my experience was positive both times, although I did make it very clear that once labour started, I didn't want any further intervention (drip, epidural etc) unlesss I expressly stated.
With DS the pushing stage was about 6 hours whereas with DD it was only about 2 hrs (she was 8lb 12 and I had a tear that was stitched in theatre - glad she wasn't full term as it could've been worse!).
HTH and good luck smile

QueenFee Tue 20-Jan-09 13:31:53

I was induced at 39 weeks and went into full labour after 2 does of prostins. My labour was exactly the same as my first and DS came out back to back weighing 8lb 6oz. Have to say it wasn't a bad experience for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now