Mobile CTG/monitoring

(8 Posts)
purplemyrtle Sun 04-Jan-09 14:15:45

Anyone know anything about this? I'm hoping for a VBAC and as far as I can tell the evidence is there to support monitoring during labour but hate the idea of being attached to one of those machines during labour (had literally days of it last time). I can only find brief references to mobile monitoring and wondered if anyone has any experience of it?
Thanks, P.

missorinoco Sun 04-Jan-09 14:40:35

i don't know but am in a similar position, so am keen to see any answers.

bump!

iwantitnow Sun 04-Jan-09 15:10:07

I'm in the same boat - you need to check whether your hospital has any mobile monitors, mine doesn't even though a big London hospital. I won't attempt a VBAC with continual monitoring as I really couldn't move, it kept slipping when I was on my ball. I hated being strapped to it. You can insist on intermittent monitoring, you have to sign a few forms though. I am still not sure what I am going to do.

How many weeks are you? I had an appointment with a registrar straight after my 20 week scan to discuss my options and having regular appointments and scans to continue the discussion. My hospital is very pro VBAC but also very pro continous monitoring - probably due to lack of staff!

purplemyrtle Sun 04-Jan-09 15:59:20

32 weeks, you? I hadn't heard of it at last appointment so didn't ask, same here re scans and appts so will ask next time. They've said I can refuse monitoring, but it seems it's the best way to notice any probs due to the scar early on, so not sure if I'll be happy to or not. Wonder if you can hire them?!

lou031205 Sun 04-Jan-09 16:01:41

I had a mobile monitor with DD2. But I didn't ask, they just had it handy, and I was induced so had to have monitoring. I would phone labour ward and ask them if they have them. If not, you might be able to hire one from somewhere?

iwantitnow Sun 04-Jan-09 19:37:52

I'm 29 weeks. I can't imagine getting a NHS midwife to use equipment they are not used to (probably health and safety regs, you even have to get your hairdryer tested if you use one of your own on the maternity ward at my hospital) - maybe if you hire your own independent midwife they might have one? Chances of me having a successful VBAC don't look great at the moment so I won't be going down the independent midwife/doula route.

Not sure whether this is correct but surely you are more likely to feel the scar rupture if you are upright and mobile without an epidural not the medicalised birth suggested to me of continous monitoring and epidural.

Nevil Sun 04-Jan-09 22:17:19

Check out this thread its got loads of info re CFM and intermittent monitoring.

HTH.

purplemyrtle Sun 04-Jan-09 23:31:36

Thanks, will have a look at the thread Nevil.

I was induced last time too lou, 4 days before em cs, so was very sick of those machines by then! Will def ask if they have any.

iwantitnow - don't know about feeling stuff going wrong better, sounds possible, like you I think my chances are pretty slim, so am also looking at options re a planned cs to make it a better (?) experience than last time!

Had a look on google, seems the mobile ones are called telemetric something or other, but couldn't find much info.

Hope there's some info above or in other thread that helps missorinoco

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now