Babies born in amniotic sac?

(41 Posts)
Jenski Tue 11-Nov-08 16:54:59

I am almost 37 weeks pregnant with my third baby and with previous two my waters were broken (for no apparent reason other than to speed things along). My second labour was progressing faster than I could manage anyway, and I didn't feel that I was consulted prior to the midwife breaking the waters.

So I have heard of babies being born with the amniotic sac intact still and then broken on birth, and I was wondering if anyone had experience of this. Does this make labour more difficult?

Any information would be much appreciated as I am trying to write some things down in the form of a birth plan and would like as little intervention as possible.

Thank you smile

Wallaroo Tue 11-Nov-08 16:56:37

My friends DD was born like this. She said it was no way near as painful.

MmeLindt Tue 11-Nov-08 16:57:01

My waters broke just moments before DD was born, so I don't see that it would be a problem.

Fwiw, this seems to be a "problem" in UK, I gave birth in Germany and never heard of anyone having the waters broken for them to speed things along.

pookamoo Tue 11-Nov-08 16:58:35

No proper advice on this but I know my Grandma was born in her amniotic sac. In those days (90 odd years ago) they used to save them and sell them to sailors for good luck hmm. It was called a "caul".

I think probably the waters would break anyway eventually rather than the baby being born in the sac.

NCbirdy Tue 11-Nov-08 17:01:13

That happened to me, however I have no idea if it is better or not as I have never had them go earlier IYSWIM!

I can tell you that my labours were not at all difficult, they were quick, progressed well and the pain was managable (in a "tearing you in half" kind of way of course grin)

I am sure that is no real help sorry blush

I suppose the important thing is to try to get as good a realtionship with your MW as possible so they know what you are trying to achieve and the same for your birth partner - only more so as they are you advocate.

Now I am teaching you to suck eggs sorry blush

NCbirdy Tue 11-Nov-08 17:02:35

sorry, we didn't have a caul (I was trying to remember the word!) they went when the head was delivered.

Cathpot Tue 11-Nov-08 17:03:05

Midwife called 'she's bulging' as DD2 on way out. I thought I was about to have some important part of me fail in horrific fashion but it turned out that she just meant the sac was coming out with her, they cut it and she shot out!

Jenski Wed 12-Nov-08 12:29:39

Thank you all.

I am obviously hoping that my waters will break naturally but if not I will definitely ask for them to leave well alone.

Mdmlindt - interesting that this is not done in Germany.

NCBirdy - Yes definitely a good idea to get good relationship with MW. With my second baby I only met her 45 minutes before DD2 was born, hence the surprise at waters being broken when everything was moving so quickly!

Pookamoo - I do live by the sea, so I shall enquire with the sailors regarding the 'caul'grin

Bulging! shock grin

My dd2 was born in the caul!! It was very wierd!! And cool at the same time!

Poshpaws Wed 12-Nov-08 12:33:00

DS3 was born 'in the caul'. It was by far my easiest labour and birth but don't think it was for this reason.

DH was at the 'business end'and he said when the sack came out, he could see this little face peering out at him grin. Once the sack was fully out, the midwife popped it and I heard reassuring wailing smile

Howdie Wed 12-Nov-08 23:38:10

Anecodtally, a lot of midwives I have discussed this with feel that babies born in the caul cause less perineal damage - this makes sense to me. The last homebirth I attended, the baby was born underwater in the caul, it was fab, it was like she swam out in her own wee bubble!

Truffy18 Thu 13-Nov-08 08:20:11

My second child was born in her waters and it hurt much less than my first. It does slow things down I was told by the midwife. She took 90 minutes to arrive from start to finish so it was a good job her waters stayed intact else she would have been born in the car!

It did mean however that they wouldn't let me give birth stood up (which I wanted to at the time cause it was more comfortable) because when the waters went they would have made the floor slippery and dangerous (I was told). I was disappointed about this cause I really didn't want to be lay on the bed.

honeybunmum Thu 13-Nov-08 12:38:39

Truffy18, that sounds like it was more for their benefit than yours! I delivered my DD standing up at home in 40 mins with the midwife trying to break my waters as she was coming out, she couldn't and DD was delivered with sac intact. DS also delivered in sac in 20 mins by my DH in kitchen ( planned HB but not quite planned like that with no MW!!! ) so I don't think it really slowed things down.

Kiwifern Mon 30-Nov-09 19:11:29

I've just had a baby who was born 'in the caul' which is when she was born inside her amniotic sac. It was a water birth - probably a double water birth really and was the best birth I could have asked for. 3 contractions once in the pool and a healthy babe was born. The only thing which was different from when my son was born in the water was when the midwife told me not to touch the head as she was crowning - as the midwife needed to break the sac from over her face. Either way she didn't take a breath until she was out of the water and is perfect in every way!!

Lulumama Mon 30-Nov-09 19:14:32

if your labour is progressing normally, albeit a bit slow, then often breaking the waters is offered. not sure why they were broken for you if your labour was going too fast for you to cope

it does not harm babies to be born in the sac, and it will be broken and removed when they are delivered

you can put in your birth plan you do not wish for your labour to be augmented in any way unless there are compelling medical reasons, and specify you do not want your waters broken

2ChildrenPlusLA Mon 30-Nov-09 19:20:10

Nope. It's less painful, but more of an explosion when broken wink

TheRedQueen Mon 30-Nov-09 19:25:48

MmeLindt/Jenski : breaking the waters to speed things along IS done in Germany (or at least it was done to me when DD was born in Munich!)

nappyzonecantrunfortoffee Mon 30-Nov-09 19:33:26

wow i thought the being born in the sac thing was a myth - im amazed and a little jealous - not so much i want to give it another whirl though you understand! Am of to ggole pics of babies inthe caul now..... grin

IckleJess Mon 30-Nov-09 20:32:54

The reason 'cauls' were sold to sailors in years gone by is because it was said that a baby born inside it's caul would never drown. Therefore, owning a caul as a sailor was meant to bring them good luck and, more importantly I'd guess, immunity from drowning.

OrmIrian Mon 30-Nov-09 20:34:38

You'll never drown.

moosemama Mon 30-Nov-09 20:58:06

Dd was born with her waters intact last January. The midwife said its pretty rare, but not as rare as people think it is - they call them 'boil-in-the-bag babies'. grin

She was delivered in 1 1/2 hours from first contraction to arrival on the bed torpedo stylee. Waters broke as she hit the bed!

I was too shocked at how fast she shot out to check if the caul was still over her face once the waters had gone.

Her labour was definitely more painful than ds2's, but not as bad as ds1's. Although I think that was down to the shortness of the labour itself, as it was the contractions that were more painful not the pushing part iyswim.

TheProvincialLady Mon 30-Nov-09 21:11:21

DS2 was born in the caul, in water at home. DH broke the caul and moved it away from his face (Ds2's face, that is). Unfortunately there was no magic perineum protecting effect...my bits are even more ragged than they were after DS1 with a nasty episiotomy. Mind you, he did shoot out like a rocket. My notes recorded the second stage as lasting 2 minutes!

EccentricaGallumbits Mon 30-Nov-09 21:19:10

I've had a standing up, born in sack. she popped as the body slid out and made a shocking mess all over my trousers (i was doing the catching not the pushing). i had thrown down loads of towels anyway just in case, so no reason to have either standing up or intact membranes but not both.

trafficwarden Tue 01-Dec-09 06:29:41

I love it when babies come like this, it looks incredible, like a minature diving helmet from the dark ages! Quite appropriate really.
When the membranes are intact the pressure from contractions is spread more evenly around the uterus and over the cervix. This should make labour progress more smoothly and women usually say it hurts more after the membranes break/are broken. Research has shown that rupturing the membranes reduces the length of labour on average by only 1 hour but lots of doctors/Midwives haven't taken it on board. If there is no progress in labour it is one of the things which is done to speed things up and needs to be done if syntocinon drip is required to reduce the risk of embolism but it should not be done routinely.

capstock Tue 01-Dec-09 07:09:55

I've been wondering about this for hypothetical DC3 - DC2 labour was a bit too fast for my liking and midwife effectively broke the waters with a strong sweep, I would ask her to leave me alone next time as once the waters broke I was straight into transition and then the second stage of labour only took half an hour and I had a second degree tear (not sure I'm blaming that on her though and it's healed very well anyway).

DD was born in her waters, very fast.

angel1976 Tue 01-Dec-09 09:54:46

My DS2 was born 'in cauls' 4 weeks ago. Very fast labour - got to hospital at 6.45pm and he was born 45 minutes later. I had about 4 bad contractions and felt him crowning. The midwives weren't prepared as they thought my waters will break and baby will follow soon after. Apparently, it's more common for the waters to break as baby is crowning than for the baby to be born in the sac. It's apparently the gentlest way for the baby to be born (seems true so far - DS2 is the most chilled out baby ever...). However, the deliveries with both my DSs were very fast, I didn't tear (only had minor lacerations) though with DS2, it was slightly less painful, even faster labour. However, I did suffer a prolapse with the birth of DS2 but I believe that is due to either usually having a big baby (not in my case) or very fast delivery.

JollyMrsChristmas Tue 01-Dec-09 09:57:05

I have had 2 babies born this way, one in a birth pool one on the couch, the couch birth was very messy as the sack exploded when she shot out

JollyMrsChristmas Tue 01-Dec-09 09:58:41

BTW i was begging the midwife to pop the sac as the pressure was awful, she tried but couldn't.

Morloth Tue 01-Dec-09 14:17:59

DS was born in the bag (well his head was). It broke after he came through. Was really really messy! grin

He had a lovely round head as a result - apparently it worked as a cushion.

I had an extraordinarily easy labour and assume this helped.

Ineedsomesleep Wed 02-Dec-09 13:19:24

Another boil-in-the-bag baby here too. We couldn't understand why she wasn't crying then looked to see her looking back at us through a bubble.

Agree that it is less painful but also agree with the added pressure.

She too was a very chilled out baby, our next door neighbours used to comment about how they never heard her crying.

Don't know if she was so chilled about because of the birth, or being a second baby or the fact that I'd read Babycalming.

Putting it in your birth plan sounds like a good idea. I'd put in a water birth and didn't get it because she came so quickly, but in a strange way we got a water birth in the end smile

minnylove Thu 03-Dec-09 22:32:55

my DS's amniotic sac broke when when i started pushing and it definitely changed things, it was more gentle before and things hotted up pretty quick after that! x

TrinityRhino Thu 03-Dec-09 22:41:54

gecko was born in her sac
she is my third and it was the first time for me
was no dofferent at all and supposedly lucky

my midwife was lovely and never felt the need to break waters as its perfectly fine to leave them be and do it after the birth
she did look odd in her sac dh said

There's a superstition that babies born with the caul over their face will have the second sight.

As you were.

Ineedsomesleep Sun 06-Dec-09 08:48:41

Frakkin, are you sure its second sight and not going to be very, very rich and pay off our mortgage, take me out to fancy restaurants and take me on fabulous holidays?

My twins were both born in their waters 4 weeks ago, it was weird but exciting. The labour was no different. With my other 2 DCs my waters went very late anyway.

Midwives didn't break the sacs till they were out either and they are very chilled out babies who hardly cry.

dr13 Sun 16-May-10 23:02:19

i had my second baby in the caul, it happened so quickly, i delivered alone on the kitchen floor and i had a big shock when i seen my baby still in the sac on the floor, instinct took over and i tore the sac myself and she wailed, and i knew everything would be okay. i give birth 11 months earlier to my 1st daughter and i had an agonising 4 days labour. I do think that its easier to give birth in the caul after reading similar stories to mine.

i had my waters broken with my first 2, i felt quite sure that ds2 would have been born in his sac if they hadn't because it was bulging out apparently!

ds3 was born at home before the midwives arrived so no chance of intervention, but my waters did go by themselves just before he was born

thinker Sun 16-May-10 23:18:15

I had a very fast hideoulsy painful birth with my son, my waters broke during the big pushes and shot up the wall, my husband said it was like a Rhino having a piss hmm I felt a sense of release when they went. One more push = head then next push body SLOP BANG WALLOP. grin

MumNWLondon Mon 17-May-10 09:05:31

My DS2 wasn't born in his sac but it did burst on its own right at the last minute. Apparently this is very common in subsequent births, esp Dc3 onwards.

I had already felt some pressure (ie beginnings of urge to push) before it went.

Before my waters went my contractions were not following regular pattern although they had been going for near 12 hours by that point. I was managing very well just with G&A and tens.

Then they went and DS2 shot out.

I specifically asked not to have internal exam as water went with DD while midwife doing exam and it speeded things up to uncomfortable level.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now