childbed fever

(108 Posts)
thatwasmyfavouritedress Tue 19-Feb-08 14:45:29

My sister in law, Jessica Palmer, died of childbed fever in 2004, when her daughter Emily was 6 days old and her son Harry was 3. Mumsnetters may remember that 2 other mothers died from the same illness in Winchester late last year.

My brother in law is running a campaign to raise awareness of these preventable and tragic deaths.

There is a short survey on his website to gather some information to use in calling for more training and awareness, and he would be extremely grateful if anybody here could spare literally two minutes to fill it in?

With many thanks in advance,

http://www.jessicastrust.org.uk/awareness-survey/

Jessica's trust
raising awareness of childbed fever
www.jessicastrust.org.uk
T 020 8099 2290 F 020 8099 2295

hunkermunker Tue 19-Feb-08 14:47:36

It's here as a clickable link

I'll fill it in now.

I'm so sorry to hear of your family's loss sad

Done.
My sympathies to your family.

thatwasmyfavouritedress Tue 19-Feb-08 14:50:25

thankyou very much hunkermunker.

hunkermunker Tue 19-Feb-08 14:51:37
CarGirl Tue 19-Feb-08 14:53:25

done, I hope he manages to make a difference, condolences to you all.

done - what good work your bil is doing!

thatwasmyfavouritedress Tue 19-Feb-08 15:04:26

thanks everyone. my bil has already emailed me to say how much he is appreciating the MN input!

chrissnow Tue 19-Feb-08 15:08:07

Done. Well done to your bil and condolences to the whole family. Hope this helps.

Zazette Tue 19-Feb-08 15:23:51

done - I am so sorry. THere is no reason for anyone to die of this now

thatwasmyfavouritedress Tue 19-Feb-08 16:20:02

Can anybody suggest other MN forums on which it would be be appropriate to post my request? Thanks in advance.

madamez Tue 19-Feb-08 16:23:39

Oh, this is dreadful. I really thought puerpal fever had gone the way of smallpox.

LOVEMYMUM Tue 19-Feb-08 16:26:48

Am so sorry. How are they children and your brother-in-law doing?

I thought childbed fever had been eradicated.

Will fill in questionnaire now.

expatinscotland Tue 19-Feb-08 16:36:51

done and bump

MaeWest Tue 19-Feb-08 16:46:59

Have done survey, had no idea that this still even existed

Lulumama Tue 19-Feb-08 16:49:13

i will take this info to the next NCT meeting i go to and get it out there..
terrible tragedy x

thatwasmyfavouritedress Tue 19-Feb-08 16:49:18

Thanks for asking LOVEMYMUM. they are doing well. harry and emily are fantastic children and ben does an amazing job bringing them up on his own. jessica's memory is very present in their lives and they talk about her alot, although of course nothing can compensate for her absence. do have a look at ben's blog (on the jessica's trust website) where he talks alots about the challenges he faces day to day.

Wendyjayb Tue 19-Feb-08 16:55:47

I've filled it in.
I'll post the link on my parenting forum for you x

thatwasmyfavouritedress Tue 19-Feb-08 17:07:51

thanks wendyjayb and lulumama. one of the biggest problems is exemplified by many of the reactions here: many people believe that puerperal fever has been eradicated. medical professionals simply aren't looking for the signs and as a result, mothers are dying. jessica would very likely be alive and looking after her children today if she had been given antibiotics earlier. as it was, her symptoms were missed and she died. i know that ben is desperate to get the message across to families, doctors and midwives to look out for the symptoms of childbed fever and will really appreciate you spreading the word.

Bump - the website is really good and we owe it to our sisters, daughters and friends as well as to ourselves to inform ourselves about this.

BabiesEverywhere Tue 19-Feb-08 18:08:53

Bump

Bump again

Thank you for doing this, hope her DC are doing well. Survey done

Done and bump

lardylumps Tue 19-Feb-08 19:36:31

Done what a tragic story sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now