How long before I heal from burst episiotomy stitches?

(3 Posts)
NottsMum Sun 19-Sep-04 21:33:21

I had my DD2 almost 2 weeks ago and ended up with an episiotomy to prevent me from tearing. Unfortunately, my stitches got infected on day 4 and I'm currently on my second week of antibiotics. I was so badly swollen that at least 3 of my stitches burst and I've been left with a hole which is about 2cm long. (sorry if this is too much info). I'm taking 2 salt baths everyday with lavendar and geranium oils (as advised by midwife)and taking Arnica 200 once a day. My midwife says she thinks I should be restitched but when I saw my GP he advised against it as he thinks there is a very high chance of re-infection. So now I'm left with a deep hole that my midwife says is going to take "weeks and weeks to heal". I'm quite concerned as to how long it really will take and when I'll be able to have sex again and whether it'll hurt.

Are there any other MNetters who have had this happen to them? Can you offer any more advice on helping it to heal?

wellsie Sun 19-Sep-04 21:37:47

NottsMum, you poor thing. I had an episiotomy which I insisted the midwife checked everyday as I wanted to make sure all was ok down there, luckily it was, but in your case I would perhaps get a 2nd opinion from a GP about being restitched, IME the midwives seem to know best in these situations - I mean, they're looking at them everyday!

Hope you feel better soon.

monkeygirl Sun 19-Sep-04 21:42:52

Ouch. Some of my tear reopened about 4/5 weeks after the birth. I don't think it was quite as much as you but my gp used some kind of 'soldering' pen in the surgery to close the gap up. I would get a 2nd opinion too as you can't go through weeks and weeks of that - it bloody hurts doesn't it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now