Any tips on naturally inducing labour!

(45 Posts)
wheniamqueen Tue 31-Jul-07 14:56:45

Hiya, my baby is fully engaged and it really hurts, think im close now, was just wondering if people had any tips on how to get it going?

lulumama Tue 31-Jul-07 14:59:53

how many weeks are you?

wheniamqueen Tue 31-Jul-07 15:00:21

i think no matter how long i have to wait im definatly not having sex!

lulumama Tue 31-Jul-07 15:01:06

well, sadly, sex is one of the few things that can actually help get your cervix ripe

wheniamqueen Tue 31-Jul-07 15:01:17

By the dr's dates im 36 1/2 but by my dates im at least 38 1/2

FLIER Tue 31-Jul-07 15:03:58

a really bumpy car ride and a hot curry-not at the same time tho

lulumama Tue 31-Jul-07 15:05:54 good tips on here

but not really much point until you are a bit closer to term...babies come when they are ready. but you can help to ripen the cervix , and get in a positive mindset

mistypeaks Tue 31-Jul-07 15:07:07

fresh pineapple helped me. (is far preferable to sex at this stage!!)

FLIER Tue 31-Jul-07 15:12:52

sitting on a birthing ball also helps to open you up, i believe.

I thought you had to eat loads and loads and loads of pineapple for it to have an effect?

twofalls Tue 31-Jul-07 15:16:13

I am not sure anything helps really. I tried EVERYTHING and still ended up being induced which also took ages to get going. The baby just wasn't ready. There is no harm in trying all the recommended methods but just don't expect anything to work (and if it does work, then it is probably because the baby was ready rather than the method working, iyswim).

Lolly68 Tue 31-Jul-07 15:18:27

Rosemary leaf tea - but I think you are meant to starty drinking that from 37 weeks onwards.

Ceolas Tue 31-Jul-07 15:21:40

I am firmly of the belief that they come when they are ready.

You can drive yourself crazy trying all sorts of stuff.

Sex is just about the only thing proven, but even then only if the baby is ready.

Relax and don't put any pressure on yourself.

lulumama Tue 31-Jul-07 15:23:04

raspberry leaf tea .. not rosemary !

also, you have to eat 7 fresh pineapples to get the enzyme effect necessary to help ripen the cervix

so make sure you have plenty of gaviscon !

mixedmama Tue 31-Jul-07 16:17:50

7 Pineapples.... blimey.

They have been recommended already and my midwife referred to them as the thre H's

Hot Sex
Hot Curries
Hot Baths

The thing with curry is that if you did go into labour and then happen to vomit it wouldnt be very pleasant, pineapples may be better.

Meglet Tue 31-Jul-07 16:58:11

I had acupuncture at 5pm in the evening and by 7pm I was starting the early stages of labour. However cervix failed to dilate at all and had c-section the next day.

Bloody painful having needles stuck in you though, it was in my foot and lower legs.

LadyK Tue 31-Jul-07 17:01:09

Try going somewhere or doing something where you really wouldn't want to go into labour. Seems to have worked for a number of friends!

FLIER Tue 31-Jul-07 17:34:15

I seem to remember someone talking about "nipple twiddling" to help get things started - or did I dream this

It's true that it will prob come when it is ready, but it does help make you feel that you are doing something to get things moving by doing any of these things.

I was 10 days over with my first-hot curry and bumpy car ride did the trick.
2ns time I was 4 days over and I'm sure lots of walking helped.

Good Luck. Let us know how you get on.

NAB3 Tue 31-Jul-07 17:45:02

A long walk
Raspberry Leaf Tea tablets.

these will only work if baby is ready to come though

I did 1,2,3 and 5 and the baby came in 7mins!!

meandmyflyingmachine Tue 31-Jul-07 18:06:04

Nipple massage.

I say it on every thread like this, and am studiously ignored

But here someone has beaten me to it....

FLIER Tue 31-Jul-07 18:51:17

sorry meandmyflyingmachine !

I did actually try it with baby number 2.

meandmyflyingmachine Tue 31-Jul-07 18:51:52

Me too

lulumama Tue 31-Jul-07 19:32:52 a search for my name and the phrase:

'have you tried sex and nipple stim?'

am thinking of having it printed on a tshirt !

beautifulgirls Tue 31-Jul-07 22:10:47

Nothing worked for me, tried it all. Membrane sweeps are possibly one of the more scientific tried methods though - but even those didn't do it for me.

MrsScavo Tue 31-Jul-07 22:14:02

I tried most things mentioned. The only thing that worked for me was accupuncture.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now