Any chance of early induction?

(6 Posts)
Shadowboy Thu 10-Nov-16 14:25:03

I'm currently 39+2. I was wondering if anyone has been successful in asking for an early induction (but after 40 weeks) for social reasons/not for health reasons?

Basically- my mother who I haven't seen for 2 years (due to her work/my work) is due to come for 2.5weeks on the 19th and I'm due on the 15th. She works in a very diplomatic role for the UN abroad (Middle East) and they were the only dates she could get permission for that were around my due date. If they let baby go the standard 12 days over she will barely get to meet him/her and both she and I would be gutted.
I'm aware I've still got time and baby could arrive any moment but I've got an appointment with midwife at 40+1 - so wondered if it's unreasonable to ask to have an induction BEFORE 41 weeks for the above reason? Has anyone been induced for a non health reason?

Scarydinosaurs Thu 10-Nov-16 14:27:37

My induction went down as 'social reasons' as we had moved home and then our vendors encountered problems leaving us living at parents for far longer than planned. I had had a short labour with DC1 so was panicked about getting to hospital in time, so they induced me on my due date.

scaredofthecity Thu 10-Nov-16 14:35:41

Induction for your first before the baby is ready is not a fun experience. My DS took 3 days to come and I was lucky to avoid a CS.
If you have no choice, then it's different but no way would I recommend an induction just so baby arrives when you want it too.
I'm not meaning to be harsh and it sucks that your DM can only come at a set time. I'm just speaking from experience.

Matchingbluesocks Thu 10-Nov-16 14:39:41

Yes I did. My first baby. It was so my relative could meet her before they died. The labour was fine actually.

I think they will be fine with this but do be aware that induction brings a higher risk of c section and other complications

Shadowboy Thu 10-Nov-16 14:59:10

It's not my first baby - my first was two weeks early. Believe me I don't want an induction but I really do want my mother to meet her granddaughter- she's only met my first 2 times and it's heartbreaking. My father can't come over at all so it's the only family I can see after birth.

ispymincepie Thu 10-Nov-16 15:19:28

The only induction I've seen granted for social reasons where I work is when the mother's other child was dying and she didn't want to be in labour when it happened. I can't think of any other reason good enough to risk it tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now