What is induction like after waters broken but no contractions? Scared!

(10 Posts)
Craftycakey15 Thu 03-Nov-16 20:36:18

My waters broke last night and I am booked to go in to start induction tomorrow morning as I have had no contractions yet. I had no idea that this happens and am willing my body to start contractions tonight! All I have is the constant waters breaking, argh!

Has any one had this type of contraction before (after waters break)? Is it a quicker process than other circumstances , e.g. Being very overdue. I'm 41 weeks tomorrow, cervix soft and 1-2 cm dilated, baby 3/5 engaged ...and really scared of induction including the days in hospital before labour starts.

allypally1983 Thu 03-Nov-16 20:45:20

I was 12 days overdue and already 3cm and was induced after having my waters broken. Drug was iv'd at roughly 7.30am, nothing really happened until about 12 midday when I started to get proper labour pains. Had gas and air, a shot of diamorphine and dd was born at 6.50pm. Everyone is different but try not to worry. I thought I'd be in hospital foe about 3 days and I was discharged the next day. Good luck with your birth xxx ❤

Craftycakey15 Thu 03-Nov-16 21:44:36

Oh that's so reassuring, thanks!

Shurelyshomemistake Thu 03-Nov-16 21:47:51

Yes deffo no need to stay in unless complications or needing to get feeding established. You'll be hoofed out the next day :D

MrsJayy Thu 03-Nov-16 21:49:25

I was induced with the iv drugs after water broke i was being induced anyway. Was 6 hours start to finish i had diamorphene and gas n air, not going to lie pain to start with was intense because there is no build up . Good luck flowers

MrsJayy Thu 03-Nov-16 21:50:53

I was in 4 days but it was nearly 19yrs ago.

Tubbyinthehottub Thu 03-Nov-16 21:54:03

I was induced for this reason. Went to hospital in the morning, had the pessary thing late morning, pains started after lunch, by about 5pm contractions were getting bad and I must've been dilated as they took me to the birth centre. Got in the pool, gas and air, baby born 8:30pm, home next morning. Good luck smile

Oscha Thu 03-Nov-16 22:04:48

I'm sure you know this, but you don't have to be induced if you don't want to be. Trusts have varying policies on the number of hours they're comfortable with leaving it before they want to induce; 24 hours is common but some suggest longer. Many also will not book an induction over a weekend, which may demonstrate that the risks of infection are not that high 😉 They should offer you either induction or a 'wait and see' approach, where you take your temperature regularly to monitor for infection. This website's useful, and you could also look at NICE guidelines and the AIMS booklet on Induction. www.midwifery.org.uk/?page_id=719

I don't mean to imply that you shouldn't be induced if you want to be-just that you don't have to be.

Tubbyinthehottub Thu 03-Nov-16 22:46:27

Yes, mine had me wait 96 hours in case labour started naturally. I was a bit early though. I can't complain about mine, would have it exactly that way again if I could.

katienana Thu 03-Nov-16 22:50:49

Not quite the same but I was induced with ds2. Had my waters broken, nothing happened so put on drip. 2 hours on drip before contractions started. Baby born within an hour! It hurt, the contractions were very intense but it was over quickly. I recovered much faster than with my natural labour for ds1.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now