39 weeks and have embarrassingly large piles - help!

(5 Posts)
Tallblue Sat 15-Oct-16 10:40:13

Can't believe I'm writing this but feel the need to get some advice as too embarrassed to talk about it in RL.
I'm over 39 weeks pregnant. During my 20's I had a lot of digestive issues/IBS etc and am quite used to having piles now and again.
One, in particular seems to have never gone away, not sure if it's still actually a pile or just a large skin tag but let's just say it's a permanent inch long addition to my down below region. In the last few days I've had a dodgy stomach, alternating between diarrhea and constipation. Now I have lots of large external piles. Just looked in the mirror and it's horrific. Last week at my check up I mentioned to the doctor about some soreness in the bottom region and she said if it's piles it would sort itself out quite soon after giving birth. But she didn't quite realize the extent of the issue. I have another check up this week and will have to come clean about it and I guess she will take a look. I'm worried about giving birth/pushing and the further damage that might be caused.
Has anybody ever had to change a birth plan or do anything in particular in relation to child birth due to really bad piles?
I've read that sometimes piles can get so bad that surgery is needed post partum. I'm now really stressed about it sad

Tallblue Sat 15-Oct-16 13:27:09

Bumping in the hope of finding someone else who has experienced this!

YokoUhOh Sat 15-Oct-16 13:36:02

I had humongous piles carrying both DC. When I was getting stitched up after DS2 a few months ago, the midwife raised an eyebrow and said, 'you need to be eating your greens to get rid of these piles', I felt a bit blush However, they disappeared of their own accord almost straight after giving birth.

So basically, totally normal and you'll probably find they go away pretty quickly. Good luck!

Tallblue Sat 15-Oct-16 18:44:23

Thanks Yoko, this is very reassuring!

Stumbleine Sun 16-Oct-16 14:06:29

Me! Had a lingerer after dc3's birth nearly four years ago (it wasn't particularly troublesome). Have just given birth to dc4 and in the final week of pregnancy had awful diarrhoea which brought a couple more out of hiding!

I was dreading labour due to this and felt quite blush. This despite being a midwife and having seen some glorious piles in my time! Perhaps something to do with there being a good chance of me knowing the people looking at my bits!!

Anyway, giving birth to a posteriorly presenting baby hasn't helped the situation and I am still suffering, but things will hopefully calm down soon enough. If not I guess it's a visit to the g.p to assess the situation. The joys eh!?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now