A delightful lochia question.....

(14 Posts)
vallinnapod Thu 13-Oct-16 11:16:57

This may be a bit daft....

I am PG with DC3 and with my previous 2 pregnancies my lochia probably lasted the normal 4-6 weeks but with my second PG they thought I may have some retained placenta as I had red bleeding for several weeks afterwards I was almost certainly doing too much.

I want to be able to take DC2 swimming still. Hopefully from a fortnight or so after the birth. I know tampons as a rule are a no-no but for the 45mins we are there would I be OK?

LivinOnAChair Thu 13-Oct-16 11:21:28

Personally, I wouldn't. There was no way I would have been able to go without a pad (let alone get in a pool) two weeks after giving birth, aren't you quite vulnerable to infection until the lochia stops anyway? Pools can be pretty gross as it is...

ShowOfHands Thu 13-Oct-16 11:23:34

No. There's too much risk. Can somebody else take her?

Alabastard Thu 13-Oct-16 11:24:21

I wouldn't. The risk of infection is too high.

Imnotaslimjim Thu 13-Oct-16 11:26:06

Nope, definitely not. Tampons can't be used because everything inside is still misshapen and it can move and get stuck. I don't think you'd be able to go swimming without anything at all, the loss would be too heavy still.

milkyface Thu 13-Oct-16 11:26:25

My bleeding wasn't heavy at two weeks but I still wouldn't have gone anywhere near a pool. Big chance of infection.

Can someone else go instead?

welshweasel Thu 13-Oct-16 11:27:11

You shouldn't really. I've always wondered how people manage to take their brand new babies swimming when they are a couple of days old, I had visions of doing it but hadn't really thought it through!!

Purplefrogshoes Thu 13-Oct-16 11:36:36

I didn't use tampons but I got really unwell and readmitted to hospital with an infection 4 days after elcs. I really wouldn't risk it

Fluffsnuts Fri 14-Oct-16 09:57:19

I'd stopped bleeding by 10days, but the thought of putting a tampon up would have filled me with dreadful.

Get someone else to take her- and stop trying to do to much already!

Abetes Fri 14-Oct-16 11:47:57

Really wouldn't go swimming that soon after the birth as the risk of infection is too high.

sianihedgehog Fri 14-Oct-16 11:51:00

No. I asked specifically about this as I swum regularly before having my son. It's definitely not safe.

vallinnapod Sat 15-Oct-16 22:46:29

Thanks all, will give it a miss for a while smile

Couchpotato3 Sat 15-Oct-16 22:53:36

You're right. This is a bit daft.

BoffinMum Sat 15-Oct-16 22:56:10

Wait 6 weeks, seriously!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now