Pain and bleeding two weeks after C-section for premature twins - Is this normal?

(8 Posts)
NotAClue82 Thu 06-Oct-16 12:40:38

Hello!

My twins were born prematurely (at 29 weeks) two weeks ago via c-section, because one twin had stopped growing in the womb. It's classed an "emergency c-section" but was planned the day before, and so it wasn't a "crash section" if that makes sense. The section itself was quite calm (considering the circumstances) and pleasant, not at all painful. I did lose a lot of blood and needed a transfusion, and my little one was born breech, but other than that it was pretty straightforward.

The day after the section I felt amazing (because I was still off my face on drugs I guess!) but when the hard stuff started wearing off the pain got pretty bad. Now, two weeks on, I still get quite bad pains and I'm still taking paracetamol, ibuprofen and cocodamol regularly to deal with the pain. Is it normal to still require so much pain relief two weeks on? All my friends recovered much quicker from their sections, it seems!

The scar looks like it's healing nicely though it does feel very "hard" underneath the scar. I guess that's just scar tissue forming and it's normal?

Bleeding wise I only had very little bleeding and for the last week none at all. But then last night I woke up in a pool of my own blood! (Sleeping without pants as I hadn't been bleeding). But then again today, no bleeding. This sudden big blood loss seems odd to me, but perhaps it's normal?

Any advice on whether any of this is normal would be great. I had a previous uneventful vaginal delivery with a very speedy recovery, so this is all new to me!

Thanks!

Heirhelp Fri 07-Oct-16 13:01:20

I had a crash section with complications. The pain is normal. My friends who had normal delivery were on pain relief for a month after birth.

The bleeding sounds odd. I would ring the maternity ward or if you are in hospital with the twins ask to speak to a midwife.

NotAClue82 Fri 07-Oct-16 13:24:30

Thank you that is helpful!

wonderwoo Fri 07-Oct-16 13:28:40

I had a c section with sudden bleeding after two weeks. Turns out I had an infection. Best call the midwives I think. Congratulations on your twins!

DorothyHarris Tue 18-Oct-16 20:41:27

I had twins in March and pain was OK for the first week or so, then it got much worse. Bleeding was very on and off either loads or nothing but all was OK, I think the bleeding is something to do with more Placenta attached to the uterine wall, mine each had their own Placenta.

Hippodisk Tue 18-Oct-16 20:49:58

I had a twin c section in the same circumstances as you just a bit further along. I found recovery much more painful than expected, one midwife did say there's more tugging around with twins so recovery would be a bit more painful. not sure how true that is.

congratulations and I hope you're feeling better soon.

Hippodisk Tue 18-Oct-16 20:51:10

oh and my bleeding was very on and off for around 3 weeks after birth. would stop and then I'd have heavy bleeding and large clots etc.

kiki22 Sun 23-Oct-16 10:05:22

I think its really normal I dont think I was totally off the pain killers until about 3/4 weeks I am very active so needed it to keep going. I was back at yoga doing 90% of the poses by 6 weeks after 4 weeks I suddenly get better then about 7 weeks had another sudden burst of healing. Keep active keep moving and take the pain meds physio told me people make the mistake of coming off pain killers too early and stop moving because its sore which makes for a longer recovery.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now