I want a C-Section - how do I broad this with my midwife?

(17 Posts)
onecrazycook Tue 20-Sep-16 21:20:52

I have my booking appointment tomorrow and I am adamant Prince Charming, that I want to have a c-section so that I can have my tubes tied at the same time.

Has ngoni got any experience of this and was it a battle with your midwife? How do I insist on this?

SpookyPotato Tue 20-Sep-16 23:11:44

Several midwives have told me that anyone is actually able to have a c-section, even if not had one before or no medical reason. Consultants can refuse but they have to pass you onto another one who will do it. Your midwife might try and steer you towards a natural birth but just keep insisting if they do.

onecrazycook Tue 20-Sep-16 23:20:18

So is it best to tell her tomorrow at the first appointment?

SpookyPotato Wed 21-Sep-16 08:00:13

Yes say it from the beginning. I told mine at my booking in appointment so it could go on my notes.

Frazzled2207 Wed 21-Sep-16 08:05:50

Different reasons but I wanted a c-section, told the midwife and was referred to a consultant. Consultant wad very nice about it, didn't exactly talk me out of it but helped me realise that a 2nd vg would probably be ok (and she was right). If I'd stood my ground she would have agreed, despite there being no physical reason why I needed one.

However if you want to be sterilised I think you may struggle to get approval if you're under 30.

Frazzled2207 Wed 21-Sep-16 08:06:35

A 2nd vb (vaginal birth) not vg dammit

neonrainbow Wed 21-Sep-16 08:09:01

I want a section for my twin pregnancy. I don't want to give birth vaginally because of all the risks involved. I don't want forceps or ventouse or an emergency section. But every appointment so far i have brought it up so far they just say "vaginal is better" and even wrote it on my notes aim for vaginal. So good luck getting what you want because even though aparently i have the right to choose, nobody has actually listened to me so far.

DartmoorDoughnut Wed 21-Sep-16 08:11:40

I had an emcs first time around so at booking in appt said I'd like an ELCS, was referred straight away and it was booked in at the 20 week scan. They discussed the potential issues but said the potential issues for VB too so no dramas here. Good luck!

SpookyPotato Wed 21-Sep-16 08:21:01

neon rainbow Be pushier. You shouldn't have to be but some midwives don't want to hear it. Just keep repeating it and they have to refer you to a consultant who will agree it.

onecrazycook Wed 21-Sep-16 10:22:13

I'm 39 and overweight. Apart from wanting my tubes tied I have a problem with my hip and I also feel like it would be a safer option for baby

DartmoorDoughnut Wed 21-Sep-16 11:14:07

From what I've heard Rainbow if they sense hesitation/uncertainty they will push for "normal" delivery. So def just call them up say you've been honking about and discussing it and you are certain you want a ELCS so can they refer you.

Cordypants27 Wed 21-Sep-16 12:15:55

I had an elective section 12 days ago, I have hypermobility and my joints became really bad during pregnancy so I decided I wanted a section as it would be safer for my in the long term physically to be able to look after my child, but boy did I have to push for it but if you stick to your guns then they cannot refuse you. I had to meet with several different care givers who all pushed for 'vaginal birth' but not one of them could answer my concerns regarding long term disability if something went badly with my hips/pelvis during delivery.
If you have a good enough reason (for you) and you show you have done your research then they will give into your wishes eventually. I found that the consultant was the most reasonable about it, the midwives etc pushed very hard for vaginal but that is their job.
Stick to your guns if that's what you want because at the end of the day it is your body and your baby.
My baby turned out to be breeches anyway which we had been given no indication of prior so it's a good job we had the section booked in.
Go with your instincts but please do your research because it is still surgery x

neonrainbow Wed 21-Sep-16 18:55:25

Thanks pps. I've already been referred to a consultant and i havent seen him yet, just another doctor in his clinic. (Only 17 weeks ) Next time my midwife said ask for him specifically to talk about my options. Nothing I've seen suggests a vb is better for me personally and ive been getting quite anxious about it all. If i was having a single I'd be much more willing to give vb a try. The worst case scenario for me is vaginal delivery for the first and the second baby then needing emcs. Ill be more pushy next time i see the consultant!

onecrazycook Wed 21-Sep-16 19:55:39

As expected, the midwife thinks my consultant might refuse me. WE WILL SEE ABOUT THAT!!

quicklydecides Wed 21-Sep-16 20:03:38

I'm all for elective sections, having had one myself.
But if your main reason is in order to have your tubes tied then that isn't a good reason.
Having your tubes tied is a minor key hole procedure.
There's no need for it to be open you up surgery like with a section.
All those extra risks, a huge scar and a much longer recovery....
Have the baby vaginally, recover quickly, then decide when to have tubes tied as a day case with a very very quick recovery.
Sections are not less risky for baby unless there is a particular reason that makes labour/ birth especially risky.

HyacinthFuckit Fri 23-Sep-16 18:01:02

I could be wrong, but you might find more difficulty getting your tubes tied during the procedure than getting an ELCS per se. It is possible to get a purely elective section on the NHS, not always, but it happens. I was under the impression, though, that best practice is to do the tube tying later. Something to do with swelling. I have a relative who had it done during a section about 25 years ago, but thought that was no longer the done thing.

Quicklydecides I think the problem is you don't get to decide whether you get the sort of VB that allows you to recover quickly! I agree the tube tying during an ELCS may not be the optimum choice here, but OP says she is 39 and overweight so a simple VB cannot be presumed.

SpookyPotato Fri 23-Sep-16 18:06:16

onecrazycook Then that consultant has to refer you to one who will do it. Maybe not the tube tying as that could be done simpler but the section.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now