Talk to me about witch hazel!

(16 Posts)
cakeandteajustforme Wed 14-Sep-16 08:48:08

Hi out there to all mums who have had their baby or are preparing for one.

I have been reading about hospital bags and what you might need afterwards (currently 28 weeks with PFB... Getting organised!). I noticed a lot of people saying witch hazel was great to use, diluted, down there afterwards. So, being very organised, I have now bought a giant bottle of the stuff which has a big label saying not to use on broken skin.... Um.

So did I buy the right sort of witch hazel? Do you just use it regardless of the warning? Does it sting?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 14-Sep-16 08:53:55

It's astringent and can imagine it being very stingy! Personally I wouldn't let it get anywhere near my nether regions especially with stitches or tearsshock

lostindubai Wed 14-Sep-16 10:39:58

You can add it to your bath if you need to.

nuggles Wed 14-Sep-16 11:47:12

Try aloe Vera maternity pads, after my episiotomy I put aloe Vera soaked maternity pads in the freezer - were a godsend!

MrsGlam Wed 14-Sep-16 14:00:12

I used it on my maternity pads after my episiotomy..It was a god send as well arnica tablets for the bruising

plimsolls Wed 14-Sep-16 14:02:53

I had exactly the same dilemma as you. I didn't use it to start with as I found it stung. After a week or so, I soaked cotton wall pads with witchazel and applied to the area once my stitches had healed a bit but were still sore. I'm still using it three weeks later.

cakeandteajustforme Wed 14-Sep-16 14:15:50

Ok thanks - that all makes perfect sense! So perhaps something gentler for the first few days, then witch hazel afterwards.

plimsolls Wed 14-Sep-16 14:27:50

I got MultiMam perineal compresses for the first few days, I found them to be really good.

I also had lavender oil to put in a bath (dissolve the oil in a tiny bit of milk before adding to bath).

AudreyBradshaw Wed 21-Sep-16 16:40:51

I found a recipe on YouTube for a concoction to spray onto maternity pads. Something like which hazel, aloe vera, lavender oil, clary sage oil and tea tree oil. We've been calling it 'mangled fanny potion' but I think I'll definitely be waiting a few days before actually using it! I'm only 31 weeks so it will remain to be seen.

Here's the video I found with the recipe.

youtu.be/hspVo5m-oJ4

Strokethefurrywall Thu 22-Sep-16 22:53:09

I used it straight away on my episiotomy and didn't find it stung at all.

It's bloody amazing stuff. Put it in your fridge if you can and then pour on your maternity pads. Bliss. Same applies if you have a c-section, pour onto a maternity pad and lay it across your scar.

The smell still makes me think of the day I gave birth.

Whosthemummy16 Thu 22-Sep-16 23:05:22

I found it amazing, soaked maternity pads in the stuff, also helped after stingy wees!
Really calmed the area down after I decided wearing skinny jeans 2 days post partum was a good idea hmm
I only had a graze and a couple of stitches though, healed in just over a week.

PerspicaciaTick Thu 22-Sep-16 23:17:58

Witch hazel never stung my stitches at all - although I probably didn't start using it for 4 or 5 days.
I just glugged a good slug straight from the bottle on to my maternity pad - very, very soothing and cooling.
Bloody wonderful stuff.

BreatheDeep Fri 23-Sep-16 17:34:28

I used lavender oil in my bath and that helped. Didn't try witch hazel on a pad but I might this time.

Halloweenbaby Fri 23-Sep-16 21:25:28

Not sure about witch hazel but I use lavender and tea tree oil in the bath and also on pads. It does take the sting away a little. I didnt hear about it being disburst with milk until recently so have just been using it straight. I had to be cut and sewn inside and out.

ImogenTubbs Fri 23-Sep-16 21:39:31

I also put it on my maternity pads straight after labour (well, I showered first) but then I didn't have any external tears (stealth boast). It was nice and calming.

DowntonDiva Fri 23-Sep-16 21:44:49

I put it on my maternity pads and then put the pads in the freezer. Second only to ice wrapped in a towel, was the best relief after my episiotomy. Helped with swelling and mild pain killer. Highly recommend!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now