I am now officially overdue. Whats the procedure then?

(25 Posts)
user1466690252 Sat 06-Aug-16 21:12:38

As of today, I am officially overdue. I have bounced, rocked, eaten pineapple, curry, walked miles, squatted, shagged. Its not coming. I had planned to give birth in a midwife center and im going there tomorrow for an appointment. Ive had no signs of labour. My first came on their due date no issues. Im terrified now. Im terrified of how big this baby is getting and how long they will keep me going and the risks of being overdue. Can i ask for a c section? Will she induce me at my appointment tomorrow? Im ready now. I actually feel like the baby will never come and im getting worried about connecting with it. I really need to have it.

Heratnumber7 Sat 06-Aug-16 21:14:36

Are you absolutely sure of your dates? 100%?

I think the procedure is that you sit and wait for at least a week. Eventually you'll be induced, but not for a while I think.

CatsAndCocktails Sat 06-Aug-16 21:18:49

Have you been offered a sweep yet? Some women feel that helps move things along.

Have a chat at tomorrow's appointment about what to expect regarding induction and the likelihood of being allowed a section, as well as your other concerns. Sometimes just be informed and having the correct knowledge can make things easier.

I do agree with the PP about your dates. I am pregnant and know for certain that my dates are out by several days but it isn't uncommon to be out by a week and that can make a huge difference in terms of when the baby arrives.

Lules Sat 06-Aug-16 21:19:44

It will vary a bit by area/ what you want but this is what I had: sweep offered at 40 weeks (I declined), another sweep offered at 41 weeks, (accepted) induction booked at 40+11 or 40+13 depending on how long you wanted to wait. I went into labour naturally at 11 days over although I ended up with c section for other reasons

GipsyDanger Sat 06-Aug-16 21:20:12

Oh the pineapple! So much pineapple flowers
With me I was 41 + 2 when I had ds.
I happened to have a midwife app on my due date. She gave me a sweep but nothing came of it, had a bit of a show but nothing major. Got to 41 weeks and she gave me another sweep, this was the Friday, she booked me into the hospital for an induction for the Wednesday. My waters broke on the Saturday 2am. Ds was born by emcs 2am on the Sunday.

I believe they will let you go to 42 weeks before arranging an induction. It's horrid to be overdue, the baby will be here before you know it, enjoy the last few days

MrsBellefleur Sat 06-Aug-16 21:20:22

They will normally book you in for an induction 2 weeks after your due date. They will also offer you a sweep, although they did nothing for me!

NotWithoutMyMerkin Sat 06-Aug-16 21:23:36

Is today your due date or is today your due date + 12?

Oly5 Sat 06-Aug-16 21:24:07

Sweep and then induction,
Don't stress about either, I've had both twice and it was fine!
There is nothing wrong with inducing a baby OP when needs be. The stillbirth rate goes up the more overdue you are so its fine to accept sweep/induction when offered. You'll be fine, good luck and keep shagging smile

user1466690252 Sat 06-Aug-16 21:26:06

Im actually tearing at another 2 weeks. Well, our dates i thought would be 2 weeks earlier? Im going to go back and look now. We were ttc for months and ive got all the dates in my diary. Im going to beg her for a sweep tomorrow. Im so scared of being induced as most i know end up in an emcs.

user1466690252 Sat 06-Aug-16 21:26:58

Due date today

Partiallycloudy Sat 06-Aug-16 21:31:17

The more you stress about this, the less likely you will go into natural labour. Stress really inhibits labour.
Try and relax as best you can,
baby will come when it's ready.
You don't have to accept an induction, you can have regular monitoring to check baby and placenta are all ok.
But most of all try and relax!!!

user1466690252 Sat 06-Aug-16 21:32:05

Ok. Relax. I will try that. Thanks everyone

YorkieDorkie Sat 06-Aug-16 21:32:23

I waited. And waited. And waited.

12 days later she was forced out via EMCS. Naughty girl!

GipsyDanger Sat 06-Aug-16 21:33:10

I was over the moon that my waters broke, but I ended up on the drip anyway as ds wasn't progressing. Don't go in with a set expectation of what will happen, I did that and I am still coming to grips that ds birth was the polar opposite of what i wanted flowers

MadgeMak Sat 06-Aug-16 21:36:44

Don't worry about the baby getting too big. My first was born at 40+13 weighing 6 pounds 11, my second at 40+3 at 9 pound 7 and that was actually a much easier labour despite his size. Try to relax, they come when they are good and ready.

CatsAndCocktails Sat 06-Aug-16 21:41:02

If it is an EMCS you are terrified of, then research them to help keep you calm. I had one (undiagnosed breech until full dilation and it was 20 mins from being told I wasn't even in labour to being raced into theatre and giving birth) and it was a really calm and positive experience with a great recovery that as far quicker and better than many in my antenatal group who gave birth vaginally and had tears etc. EMCS can be great.

user1466690252 Sat 06-Aug-16 21:43:36

Thank you everyone. My first was so textbook I kust never even imagined this could be an option. Filter in childcare for birth and DH's job and noone really planned for this.

user1466690252 Sat 06-Aug-16 21:47:10

That's interesting thank you. I would like a planned c section of im going down that route. But its refreshing to hear that an emergency can go well. Where i am due to give birth is a lovely birthing center. But i will have to be blue lighted to a hospital if anything goes wrong. Im starting to get jitters about the birthing center but the idea of the hospital makes me want to cry

ittooshallpass Sat 06-Aug-16 21:55:55

I only know one person who had their baby on their due date. You've clearly had your mind set on baby coming today so I can understand you are feeling Fed up. But try and relax... your baby isn't ready yet. I wouldn't rush to demand a c-section. It's much better to wait and let nature take its course. C-section can be a tough recovery!

Like others have said. Try and relax. Midwife won't be concerned at all about baby not coming today.

Pythonesque Sat 06-Aug-16 22:26:28

You've had one "normal" labour and delivery at term, that's a big big plus in the likelihood of another one going the same way. Your appointment should allow you to clarify things, but I'd predict you'll have your baby some time in the next week smile Good luck whichever way it goes.

justabigdisco Sat 06-Aug-16 22:30:28

I went 2 weeks over with my second, this time last year. Well, 13 days. I was booked in for induction on the Saturday morning at 40+14 but she came on the Friday night. Glad my hospital were happy to let me go to 14 days over

toadierocks Sun 07-Aug-16 14:26:02

Ah OP remember that only 5% of babies arrive on their predicted due date (I think they should give you a Due 'week' to avoid extra stress!) I went 6 days overdue with my daughter and this one I'm cooking at the moment will be the same I imagine. Ask for a sweep if poss to try and get things moving but if not I'm sure baba will be along soon. Try and make the most of resting/nesting time now and put your feet up brew

winnie3 Sun 07-Aug-16 15:25:58

I'm feeling a bit low and emotional today. Despite my best efforts I've still yet to start labouring. I'm due tomorrow and have already tried sex, had 2 sweeps, 2 reflexology sessions and walked 4 miles yesterday (which only served to aggravate my piles badly 😩).

I lost my plug a couple of days ago, my cervix is thin and starting to dilate (about 2cm on Friday) and I do get mild contractions, though they're sporadic and stop after a few hours. Is there anyone out there that can suggest anything?

Due to previous emcs and loss I'm booked in for elective at 40+3. I really don't want another c-section, but am afraid to push it back, and risk any problems to the baby.

Induction would be by means of artificial rupture membranes on the same day as the c-section, but I've learned my chances of delivering naturally drop to about 30% and v likely need epidural and forceps/ventuse.

Bored, irritated, disappointed and knackered with a four year old that's spending far too much time watching the to and iPad - help!

user1466690252 Sun 07-Aug-16 23:35:57

Ds was born this morning. Moving rrally helped. I had an active pregnancy but walking in early labour really helped

YorkieDorkie Mon 08-Aug-16 09:17:08

Congratulations!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now