Under what circumstances could I have an early-ish c section?

(9 Posts)
Thesmokingcarriage Mon 25-Jul-16 19:20:09

am 36 wks with a breach baby. Due to have c section at 39 wks and before if I go into labour. I am so uncomfortable. I can't breathe. I can't sleep.

What sort of circumstances/symptoms would mean they'd take pity and let me have a c section earlier? (say 37 or 38?)

Haggisfish Mon 25-Jul-16 19:21:39

Very few now. Diabetes and ore eclampsia.

pullthecracker Mon 25-Jul-16 19:24:11

They probably would prefer not to, evidence shows that baby's lungs aren't as able to cope as well after a section before 39 weeks, anytime before, they would want to give steroids.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Mon 25-Jul-16 19:25:10

If you or the baby's life was at risk.

Goingtobeawesome Mon 25-Jul-16 19:25:58

I had my son at 38 weeks. Unplanned emergency section. Baby wasn't well for a while. If your baby is fine and it's just you suffering I'd advise waiting.

hazeyjane Mon 25-Jul-16 19:27:11

Only if you or your baby's life is at risk.

imwithspud Mon 25-Jul-16 19:27:27

They would only do it earlier if you or your babies life was at risk.

I don't mean to sound snarky but lots of women are uncomfortable in late pregnancy, it's just part of the parcel of being pregnant unfortunately. Sorry.

BoxofSnails Mon 25-Jul-16 19:27:38

As Simon says, generally only if the baby's life was threatened or your own. You'd probably struggle to be delivered in a week or two and see baby in SCBU, or even just 'minor' difficulties with feeding, regulating temp or sugars, more prolonged jaundice, etc.

Fomalhaut Tue 26-Jul-16 21:11:20

Mine was scheduled for 38 due to placenta and vasa previa - I couldn't have gone into labour with serious risk to us both.
38 is about as early as they'll go unless specific criteria are met - unfortunately feeling shote isn't one of them. Not meaning to trivialise how you feel, mind. By 38 weeks I was in a lot of pain. Ds was tiny and I felt irrationally guilty when I saw how delicate he was...
It's crap. Rest, feet up, see if you can bob around in a pool to unwind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now