Do we need a car for birth / baby?

(21 Posts)
ThePartyArtist Fri 15-Jul-16 21:26:07

I am only in early stages of pregnancy so have a while to decide. But just thinking about transport to hospital to give birth.

We don't own a car but can both drive. We are buying a house in a location that we chose specifically for public transport links, which are excellent - so in many ways we don't need a car.

I'm just thinking though, should we buy one so we have it to get to the hospital, and also for getting around with the baby instead of on public transport? Or should we opt for a taxi to get to the hospital and decide later whether we need a car.

Have never owned one so it's not like we are very car-based people (and I am not a particularly confident driver).

NeedACleverNN Fri 15-Jul-16 21:29:43

Some hospitals won't let you leave without the baby in a car seat so it's wise to get one.

pegomassive1 Fri 15-Jul-16 21:31:21

Not going to lie it's so much easier having a car with a small child imo
I can just get out and go somewhere easily at my own pace I can do a big food shopping without negotiating a pram and trolly/pram and bags on a bus.
My dd has a heart condition so we have monthly hospital appointments so that's been a massive plus for a car. Work and nursery runs etc much easier with a car...

In labour you don't have to worry about taxis to hospital then if they send you home then back again for another taxi. Going home on a bus/taxi

But I suppose you can get a friend to collect you!!

It's NOT necessary. I live in the UK backwaters (kind of...) not London etc where I imagine a massive amount of people do NOT have cars but loads have babies so it clearly can work!!!

Congratulations on baby flowers

JustABigBearAlan Fri 15-Jul-16 21:39:20

Just get a taxi. You can always decide later. My eldest hated being in the car when he was a baby, so I chose to walk everywhere to avoid the screaming!

Lucy90 Fri 15-Jul-16 21:40:49

I have 2 DDs, one 18months one 2weeks! Me and DP can both drive but we haven't got a car. We live in London so excellent transport links we don't need to bother with a car. It also gives us extra cash for days out etc as we don't have pay for the general up keep that comes with a car

JustABigBearAlan Fri 15-Jul-16 21:40:49

But yes, maybe still a good idea to have a car seat for when others give you lifts etc.

Lucy90 Fri 15-Jul-16 21:42:51

Yes I should have said, we have car seats for both DDs and FIL did hospital run when I had both of them

Quodlibet Fri 15-Jul-16 21:43:49

We've never really needed a car with first child. We are thinking of getting one now (due second child tomorrow!) as it'll be far easier to visit family etc in different cities - long distance journeys are not really doable on public transport once adults are outnumbered.

But no, you don't need a car for first baby, if your public transport is good.

museumum Fri 15-Jul-16 21:43:55

Depends where you live.
Where I am there just isn't parking so I never used the car with ds I walked everywhere.

AppleJac Fri 15-Jul-16 21:44:12

How would you get the baby home if you have stiches or a c section and cant manage to walk past the hospital door?

I would borrow one just for the journey home.

everdene Fri 15-Jul-16 21:58:30

Clever that's not accurate - what about people who can't afford to run cars/live in cities/don't drive?

Would the maternity unit hold them hostage until they could get down their local Volvo garage? grin

If parents have prams/slings they can just walk their baby out if they want.

ThePartyArtist Fri 15-Jul-16 21:59:18

I guess I was just thinking taxis would be fine for getting there / back - but I have never done this before so no idea if that is unrealistic?

AppleJac Fri 15-Jul-16 22:02:24

You still need a car seat in a taxi. You cannot just put them on your knee and you would be very very stupid to do this.

Becciilouisex3 Fri 15-Jul-16 22:08:09

It is true that certain hospitals won't let you leave without a car, even if it means you have to call in a favour or put a car seat in a taxi! Heard multiple stories about this and know most of the hospitals in my area have this policy.

I can see why in a way, babies have weakened immune systems and I guess a bus isn't the most hygienic place!

But if you do need a car to leave the hospital, I would call in a favour first of all rather than taking on the expense of a car until you're certain you need one. You can always get one at a later date if you find it would be helpful! flowers

ThePartyArtist Fri 15-Jul-16 22:15:34

Just to clarify I am not proposing taking the baby in a taxi without a carseat! But just wondering whether to buy a car or use taxi for getting to / from hospital and decide on car later.

Flisspaps Fri 15-Jul-16 22:15:36

A hospital CANNOT prevent you from leaving without a car seat. They can tell you that you just have a car seat but it is pure bollocks. If they call the police to prevent you leaving on foot or by public transport, they will be laughed at.

Lots of people have babies without having a car.

hugoagogo Fri 15-Jul-16 22:19:08

We didn't have a car until our 2nd dc was about 2, a car seat yes! But a car is not necessary especially if you live somewhere that has good public transport and or easy to walk to shops etc.

Congratulationssmilecake

TheBeanpole Sat 16-Jul-16 07:36:22

You don't need one (a car)- just get a cab. It will be less than hospital parking anyway! You will need a seat for that. We live in London and I do know plenty of people who have walked out or got the bus.

If you live somewhere with good public transport I would hold off- your life tends to become very 'local' with a baby. Buses are easy to manage with a buggy or sling. You could join a car club if you think you might want one occasionally.

We're in zone 4 with Dc2 on the way and have never felt we needed one. We do hire for holidays sometimes but not worth the full time expense.

hummusigotthehummus Sat 16-Jul-16 07:39:34

Just buy a carseat and get a taxi.

Lindtnotlint Sat 16-Jul-16 07:42:09

3 young kids, no car. Get a car seat that is easily and safely installed with just a seat belt. Then use taxis to and from hospital. (First kid we had grandparents pick up from hospital which made things a bit less stressful, but taxi also fine).

NattyTile Sat 16-Jul-16 07:48:02

I find buses easier with baby than a car - too tired to drive safely when they are tiny, and very distracting trying to concentrate on driving when they are either screaming or else suddenly going silent and you don't know why.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now