Prem baby, 32 weeks, arrives next week...what do I need?

(12 Posts)
Huesofblue Mon 11-Jul-16 14:04:37

Hi all,

I'm currently 31 weeks pregnant and am in hospital for the 8th consecutive days due to extreme sickness, and by extreme, I mean constant vomiting to the point where I've burst blood vessels and am bringing up blood when I'm retching. I can't even keep water down and so have been on 7000ml of fluids via iv every day. Every sample is still showing the highest reading of ketones possible.

This obviously can't go on and even though I was due to deliver via section at 37 weeks anyway, the Consultant has now said that as my malnutrition is affecting the baby, she want to deliver next week when I'll be 32 weeks.

So, what I'd like to ask is...what do I need for a premium baby? It's been 5 years since my last child and I've forgotten what I need for a term baby, let alone a tiny one. Any ideas on what ill need, tips or practical advice will be very gratefully received.

Imnotacelebgetmeouttahere Mon 11-Jul-16 14:07:32

Firstly lots of hugs! You won't need much to start as chances are baby will be in scbu for first week or so - most units provide nappies but if not tesco size 0 are pretty teeny!

Boots sell preemie Baby clothes and they seem fairly accurate sizing - they also are Velcro to help fit around wires.

Lots of hand cream for you for the endless hand washing smile

Hope all goes well for you both flowersMight be worth asking to view the scbu of you haven't had a preemie before so you are familiar with the equipment and noises!

Huesofblue Mon 11-Jul-16 14:20:05

Thanks so much. I really don't know what to expect so it's so helpful to have some advice.

Imnotacelebgetmeouttahere Mon 11-Jul-16 14:49:43

I'm assuming they have given you steroid injections to aid baby's lung development?

Huesofblue Mon 11-Jul-16 15:03:29

Yes, steroids have been given

Imnotacelebgetmeouttahere Mon 11-Jul-16 15:38:44

Well that's a fab start, makes a big difference. Have the docs given any indication on baby's size? Is this dc2?

I found expressing ( if that's the route you are going) is easier next to baby wherever that may be - although sometime it can take a little longer for milk to come in when baby is early ( not always) - if that's the case they can prescribe meds to help.

Huesofblue Mon 11-Jul-16 15:47:21

This is DC3. He was dead on 3lbs last wednesday but I have another scan at the end of the week to check his size again. I'll definitely be expressing so thanks for the tip.

minipie Mon 11-Jul-16 16:55:17

I had a 34 weeker, here's what I think you might value:

- Decent electric breast pump for using when you're at home. You can rent a hospital grade one which may be the best bet.

- Front opening tops and big wrap cardis (lightweight) for pumping and for kangaroo cuddles. Sports bottle for drinking water easily while pumping.

- Something to do while you are pumping in SCBU - books magazines etc - though as a pp said it can work better if you can pump next to your baby

- I would recommend a Sleepyhead and Close Caboo carrier for when they come home (second hand if you can find it). The Caboo is a godsend if your baby won't be put down (common with prems), especially if you have an older child. The Sleepyhead really helps them feel cosy and sleep better, also helps with propping on their side if they are refluxy (quite likely with a prem).

- Teeny nappies, eg Pampers size 0 I think. Some hospitals supply nappies, others expect you to bring them in.

- Stock up your freezer - I can imagine food is repellent right now but you will need to eat after the baby is born and you won't have much time what with journeys to hospital etc.

minipie Mon 11-Jul-16 16:56:31

Sorry I forgot to say - best of luck, 32 weeks+steroids is not a bad place to be!

Bear in mind it will probably be a C section so big knickers, soft waistband trousers etc.

Huesofblue Mon 11-Jul-16 18:25:53

Thanks so much.

I'm ok on the feeding tops and I've bought a sleepyhead in readiness. Nappies! Forgot about those!

I'm stuck in hospital from now until the birth so won't have the chance to go home before to sort out anything food-wise. Think it's going to be a few weeks of being the most valued customers at the hospital's Costa for a few weeks!

It's definitely a section as my previous two DS'S were delivered by section. I've sent my mother to M&S for big knickers!

Thanks again. I'm starting to think this may not be quite as bad as I first envisaged.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 11-Jul-16 18:35:27

Little hats for in the incubator I got very upset when a nurse plonked a minty green hat on ds- hormones!hmm

Good breast pump.

Just wanted to reassure you that ds was born at 32weeks he was 3lbs 9oz and now 15 years later he's 6 ft 1!! He only stayed 3 weeks in scbu and was allowed home when he was just over 4lbs.

flowers

Huesofblue Mon 11-Jul-16 19:09:27

Thanks very much Dame. That's very reassuring.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now