Induction tomorrow – what to expect and my level of control

(7 Posts)
Purplelilly Sat 09-Jul-16 23:32:10

Hi all,
I’m due to be induced tomorrow and am very worried about it. As I’m sure if the case with many women, this is the last thing I wanted. I had hoped for a natural birth in the midwife unit, moving around as much as possible and using the birth pool with as little intervention and monitoring as possible. I wanted to avoid pain relief as much as possible.

I will be 41+12 tomorrow, baby and I are healthy and not had any issues during the pregnancy. I lost two small parts of my mucus plug about a week ago. On Wednesday night I had an hour of contractions or Braxton hicks (I’m not sure as I’ve not had this before) and the morning after. Nothing since. At my last midwife appointment baby was 3/5ths engaged. I’ve not had a sweep as yet as I really wanted baby to have the chance to come in their own time and as naturally as possible.

I feel sick about being induced. I have severe anxiety and have trouble with people touching me (I’ve found I’ve had to psych myself up to midwife appointments because I know they’ll feel my abdomen). I know no one finds this easy, it’s violating for everyone and I should have found a way to be more prepared for induction, but I’m not sure how to cope with it.

I always kept in mind that the birth plan is just that, a plan to go from in an ideal situation. I knew I’d possibly have to adapt and have things I would have preferred not to, but induction is pretty much everything I wanted to avoid.

I really want to know what to expect when I turn up at the hospital tomorrow. What do they expect from me? Are they expecting me to go in with the mind set that I’ll agree to anything they think is best, or will they talk me though the risks of each step and let me decide if I’ll go through with it?
I feel so unprepared and scared so any advice would be great.

Popskipiekin Sat 09-Jul-16 23:42:04

I've never posted a link before - there was a thread not that long ago asking what induction is like, hope this works: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/2675151-What-is-induction-like?noti=1#62120813

Popskipiekin Sat 09-Jul-16 23:48:52

I was only 2/5ths engaged when they induced me - although my waters had broken - so perhaps your baby is already more ready than mine was!
I'm sorry to hear about your severe anxiety, that must make this particularly difficult for you. Are you able to/have you already let your midwives know that you suffer from this?
They should absolutely talk you through the process and your options. It may well be that there is only one path that is right for you and safe for your baby, or they may be able to start off with one approach and move to another. Will you have someone with you to ask questions for you in case you feel overwhelmed? Wishing you the best! flowers

olympicsrock Sat 09-Jul-16 23:49:14

Hello. So sorry that you are in this situation. I had an induction with ds1 4 years ago at 40 plus 12. They often suggest a pessary first which is progesterone to soften the cervix. Just like a tampon. If that doesn't work then they will break your waters and set up a drip. They will of course discuss everything with you but there will be a definite advised course of action. They would not force you to have the induction but there is an increased risk if you leave the baby for more than 40 plus 12. I assume you meant 40 plus 12 not 41 plus 12?

In honesty induction was crap with lots of monitoring and examinations. You need an epidural right from the beginning of the drip as the contractions are stronger than normal but the epidural is brilliant for pain relief. If this is your first baby I would have a planned c section instead of an induction. After my induction I needed emcs which was crap and then had elcs the second time which was much better.
What I would say is that although the induction was rubbish both ds1 and I suffered no significant problems and it was worth every moment to have my beautiful babies. Good luck xx

Flisspaps Sat 09-Jul-16 23:49:33

You do know you can decline induction don't you (not everyone knows this)? It's up to each woman to weigh up the risks/benefits of induction vs expectant management.

Once induction begins, you can't really stop it - eg you can't opt to have the pessary and your waters broken and then go home.

Each hospital has its own protocol relating to things like water birth, mobile epidurals etc, however you can decline things like routine VEs.

ACatCalledFang Sun 10-Jul-16 10:48:39

You sound a lot like me a year ago (wanted a water birth, induced at 40+12 for being overdue, ended up with EMCS for failing to progress beyond 2cm dilated).

If you are generally anxious, as opposed to specifically anxious about induction, I would strongly recommend you take someone who can advocate for you, and ask to have a conversation first. They may try to dismiss your feelings as first-time mum nerves; you'll need to be clear that it goes beyond that. You may wish to decline induction and ask for a section instead. Hospitals are under pressure to get section rates down, so expect some resistance.

By turning up at the hospital, my experience was that the staff assumed I consented to induction, and that I would agree to whatever they proposed. A lot of language used was of the "we'll do this to you" variety. Hence it is helpful to have someone who is willing and able to advocate for you and get medics to explain pros and cons. But you may need to push for this.

As someone above has said, you can decline induction and ask for expectant monitoring. You can also ask for a section. The hospital staff may not agree to either - but it is your body and you do have the right to withhold consent. There will come a point where baby does need to come out (!), and you and the medics will need to find a mutually acceptable solution.

As someone else has said, induction is a one-way pathway. In my hospital, they give you a pessary, monitor you, then send you home if nothing is happening, with instructions to return once in labour or 24 hours later if not. If you go into labour at this point, you're still classed as low-risk and can use a pool.

If not, when you're admitted, it all becomes much more medicalised - hospital gown, cannula in hand, continuous foetal monitoring, nil by mouth once drip starts, etc. I say this not to scare you, but because I wish I'd known.

If I had my time again, I'd refuse to consent to the drip unless they were willing to at least attempt monitoring me in a position I found comfortable. They can monitor you upright/on a birth ball, but it can depend on the midwife. So you might want to think about parameters like that, if you decide to consent to induction and you want to see how you get on without an epidural.

I felt very strongly that I wanted my baby to come naturally but in my case I think there was a reason he didn't - hopefully my debrief will give me some answers but I think he was in a less than optimal position and maybe got stuck.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

laurenwiltxx Sun 10-Jul-16 15:24:08

Honest to god, its like ive written this myself. I'm 41-10days and booked in for Tuesday for induction. I'm registered with the local birth centre going for a water birth too. Tomorrow will be my third sweep!! I really don't want to be induced but they have told me of risks after 14 days so I don't want to risk it. I am feeling soooooo down. I had a sweep on Thursday and lost my plug, another one yesterday, but nothing I'm 1.5cm and 80% effaced but all of this means nothing to me unless I go into labour. How are you feeling? Talk to someone dp or family and be honest ive found it really helpful to off load as hard as I can be to admit because you feel silly. I hope you go into labour today I'm crossing fingers for you!! If you are induced though don't feel forced to lay in the bed. Look on the spinning babies website about pain relief your partner can do for you eg with scarfs and massages and squeezing your hips. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now