To induce or not to induce

(10 Posts)
mascaraisamust Wed 06-Jul-16 14:32:25

I feel total confusion, been in with lack of fetal movements about three times, even and he was fine on the ctg. Turns out I just couldn't feel him very well. Hit a trigger point and was put on monitoring twice a week up until 28 weeks, all fetal movements fine. Consultant review appointment has booked me in for induction at 39 weeks. I accepted but now I'm nervous to whether I've made the right decision. He has been moving fine, is this a justifiable reason for induction? Or do I wait it out and see if I can go naturally? At the moment it's all still booked in but I'm questioning myself, really not keen on lots of intervention and fearing where this will end up - C section being the worst outcome. Totally over stressing about this. Spoken to the midwife and they said I can discuss my options in a clinic next week instead of being induced but I'll be 39+1 anyway... Any experience of being induced? Was it the right decision?

frikadela01 Wed 06-Jul-16 20:15:03

I was induced at 39 weeks due to hypertension and obstetric cholestasis. I had the prostaglandin gel at 13:00 and was in active labour by 2:am the next morning. Labour lasted around 3 hours 38 mins and I was too far along for an epidural, I begged and begged them for it but it was just too late. Baby was born naturally and I got away with a second degree tear. Because of how fast everything happened I had no build up for the pain, I went from mild period pains to full on contractions in less than an hour. I won't lie it was the worse pain I've ever felt but it all happened so fast that it was over before I realised.

So in all a fairly positive experience. HTH

IndiansInTheLobby Wed 06-Jul-16 20:26:15

I've now been booked in for an induction Sunday. I'm 39 +4. Hoping to go naturally beforehand.

With my first son I wasn't induced and I just had gas and air. It hurt like hell on earth as he was back to back. I think it just bloody wrecks whatever. I'm desperate for the pool birth.

IndiansInTheLobby Wed 06-Jul-16 20:27:46

My answer doesn't help-the moral of my story is-it will hurt wink
You don't have to have an induction if it doesn't feel right x

lexyjay Wed 06-Jul-16 20:43:12

Hello, i was induced at 39+5 for 2 periods of lack of movement. Both times they were monitoring me baby was moving lots i just couldnt feel it! So i too doubted that i needed an induction but i am glad i did as ds was only 5lbs 15oz when born so i think he wasnt quite getting enough. Induction lasted 17 hours and ended in forceps so not great but am so glad i did as we were both fine. X

mascaraisamust Wed 06-Jul-16 20:54:01

Thanks for your help so far ladies.

Indians hope you're ok? I'm also hoping for natural birth before I get to the induction but after my sweep I'm not hopeful!

Lexyjay, interesting. Had a scan and he is a good weight according to that.

It's hard to know what's best!

cheapredwine Wed 06-Jul-16 21:21:58

I'm booked in for induction tomorrow morning at 40 weeks for maternal age so bit different but completely agree it's so hard to know what's best. Wish you all the best OP

Liss85 Wed 06-Jul-16 23:41:56

I don't feel like I was given any choice in it - I'm booked in for 38 weeks - and I think that's what's bothering me most. Good to hear people's experiences.

lcoc2015 Wed 06-Jul-16 23:49:31

Induced at 40 weeks on both of mine (waters broke but no labour). For the first i had an epidural, 10 hrs of labour, very relaxed etc but ended up with ventouse delivery and 2nd degree tear. Second time induced no epidural and labour was 1 hour start to finish - it hurt but it was so bloody fast i barely had time to register the pain. Again 2nd degree tear.

Overall both times fine and glad i didnt go overdue as i had anterior placentas for both and couldn't feel a lot of movement.

Best of luck with it - what are your worries about being induced at 38 weeks?

mascaraisamust Thu 07-Jul-16 04:16:48

Lcoc I have an anterior placenta too which has made me a nervous wreck, but much more confident in babies movement. I think I'm fearing the pain and intervention more than anything and of course I want baby here as safely as possible. Can't help think in breaking natures course of action... But, whose to say I wouldn't be induced in three weeks time anyway!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now