Wishaw or Southern General

(27 Posts)
MrEBear Mon 20-Jun-16 10:09:08

Anyone got experience of these two hospitals?

carmelsundae Wed 22-Jun-16 13:50:37

I had my first in southern, had health problems before and during labour and thought they were great! Couldn't fault the labour suite at all, very attentive and well looked after. Spent 3 days in afterwards and didn't rate it, typically not enough staff or support to give a first time mum who was struggling to establish bf, was noisy all the time (the nurses, not other patients) I heard them frequently talking about other patients! Was very glad to finally get home! This time going to princess royal bit only as we've moved house. I'd go back to the southern, just not stay as long afterwards!

MrEBear Wed 22-Jun-16 18:19:30

That's exactly how I feel about the Southern fantastic with illness at 35 weeks, brilliant during my labour & delivery, but post natal is questionable too many mums not enough nurses.
Wishaw is now my closest hospital but I've heard really mixed reports (actually more bad than good) but I think most complaints are about postnatal care.

Blizy Wed 22-Jun-16 18:24:29

I birthed at PRM , labour ward and delivery was excellent, post natal ward was utter hell. I've heard lots of good things about forth Valley though.

carmelsundae Wed 22-Jun-16 20:42:30

Seems similar for all then, post natal not so great! I found the half our or so I had with community midwife at home the following day the most beneficial! I think it sounds like it doesn't matter too much where you pick as seems post natal care won't be great for any of them!

MrEBear Wed 13-Jul-16 18:20:10

After a faf today mw running 45mins late by 9.50 coupled with only being able to give me middle of the day appointments. I have decided to switch to SGH. Just hope standard MW appointments get switched too. "Oh no you can't pick a time we just give you the next available appointment" sorry but I ain't wasting and hour driving back and forward to appointments. "Legally your entitled to the time", yes but 3 hours for an appointment is taking the piss.

LotsOfDots Wed 13-Jul-16 18:26:25

Don't expect your MW appointments at the QEUH to be quick! The MWs are lovely but the clinics are massively overbooked and I have had 2 hour waits on occasion. Can you see your community midwives instead and just attend the hospital for the birth? I was able to switch back to my local MW clinic after a consultant appointment and was so relieved as it was a whole afternoon for each one.

MrEBear Wed 13-Jul-16 22:15:50

That isn't sounding good
. Slowly turning into a nightmare.

However my community midwife is equally hopeless. Forgetting the consultant, all she could offer was a middle of the day on a Thursday appointment, with no chance to pick a different day, place or time.
The community midwives were fab when I was having DS I'd either get last thing on a Friday with my normal mw or last thing at the Vicky.

I only work 3 days so to loose half a day for an appointment really is a joke. Legally I might be entitled to it but really I'd like to stay on good terms with my work.

kiki22 Thu 14-Jul-16 17:21:28

Bit late to the party here but a friend had a great experience in the southern however she's the only one I know that's been there. I'm having a home birth this time to avoid the shocking post natal care in the princess royal and Glasgow in general!

Elllicam Thu 14-Jul-16 18:49:02

I've dodged both and went with the RAH in paisley.

Elllicam Thu 14-Jul-16 18:50:25

Sorry hit post too soon smile I've heard bad things about wishaw and I know how busy the QUEH can get. We are in south Lanarkshire but actually probably the RAH is as close as wishaw.

MrEBear Thu 14-Jul-16 22:54:42

Elllicam I don't know much about the RAH but Southern is at least close to work and they have my notes from last time. Where did you see MWs ?

Shenanagins Thu 14-Jul-16 23:00:09

I went to the southern for both of mine with no problems on staffing levels. On both occasions I had a mw with me for the duration of labour and the second time I was the only one in the ward so no problems seeing anyone then!

hilbil21 Thu 14-Jul-16 23:02:38

I had my son in Paisley and was induced then needed an emcs. Can't fault them in any way they were great and I was in for 5 days altogether

AngelsWithFilthySouls Thu 14-Jul-16 23:09:27

I was at the southern - consultant apps were s nightmare due to the long waiting times but I was a recurrent mc'er so it was necessary. DS was in NICU then SCBU for 16 days and couldn't fault them. I hated every second of the nights I was kept in but that was due to not being with DS, the staff were all really nice and realised I'd be at NICU all day other than when they really needed me for blood tests etc.

Sorry to say that I've only ever heard bad reports from Wishaw.

Elllicam Fri 15-Jul-16 07:37:38

I see the midwives at the RAH and also at my local health centre in EK. It is a bit of a distance but I do like the hospital.

April241 Fri 15-Jul-16 09:21:40

I'm in Inverclyde and all my appts are down here which is excellent but I'll be having my babies in RAH as IRH don't take on twins or anyone else labelled high risk. A few of my work friends had their babies in QUEH over the last few weeks/months and my best friend had hers there last year. They've all said the labour/delivery care was excellent but the the post natal not so much however I think that's the general feeling everywhere.

I'm really dreading the post natal care but needs must!

MrEBear Fri 15-Jul-16 09:25:39

Thanks Ellicam I had a feeling that would be the case. I think the Consultant is likely to put me back to Midwife care. The reasons she wants me to see Consultant is age, serious issues with flu last time round and an old scar.
I think I might end up swapping midwifes too, its not that she isn't nice or good but it would make life easier either to have appointments either first thing or on my 2 days of.

MrEBear Fri 15-Jul-16 09:35:19

April I can't say I am looking forward to postnatal either but it seems to be the same everywhere. Midwifes seriously over stretched. What/where is IRH?

Wishaw have a policy "to provide continuity of care" the same midwifes are looking after ladies in labour & postnatal. So naturally their priority has to be the ladies in labour. They are apparently talking about changing that but would it have happened time for me.

NeedaDiscoNap Fri 15-Jul-16 09:38:19

Could you go to the Royal?

I had a terrible experience at the Southern with a mc, so opted for the Royal when I was pregnant with my DD. I had great care all the way through my pregnancy, and the post-natal care was great too. Lots of support with feeding etc.

Friends and family have had better experiences than me at the southern but I know they've all complained about waiting times for appts etc.

April241 Fri 15-Jul-16 10:19:37

IRH is Inverclyde Royal Hospital down in Greenock, it's a CMU so they only take women on the green pathway. I'm a bit gutted because the midwives there have all been really lovely and had I stayed on the green pathway we'd have went there for labour/delivery. They have a lovely room with a birthing pool etc and it sounded exactly like i'd have wanted, however twins have too many risks to be delivered in IRH as there's no obstetricians/paeds and no way for a section/epidural if there were difficulties.

I hope you get things sorted smile

kstoddart Wed 27-Jul-16 00:38:37

Both my boys were born at qeu. I have experience of the labour midwives, theatre team, anaesthetists, and all my appointments were consultant led. I echo every one else.

The labour midwives, anaesthetists and surgical teams are brilliant.. . The ward support is non existent, midwives are very loud during the night, don't always listen and I've had a few who were downright nasty during my two stays.

I wouldn't let it put me off having a potential third baby in the QEUH though, because the actual delivery staff are just fantastic. I had two sections, one after a failed induction and one planned. The surgeons in that hospital are superb.

ayeokthen Wed 27-Jul-16 00:43:16

First birth at Wishaw great, midwives fantastic (complicated birth), post natal care fantastic. Second a year later, awful, rude horrible midwives, awful birth on my own because she told me I had hours yet, horrible post natal experience. Unhelpful I know, but I'd avoid Wishaw. My positive birth story seems to be in the minority of over 100 I've heard about Wishaw.

GruffaloPants Mon 01-Aug-16 09:06:06

Just back from having my second at QEH or whatever we call it now.

I found the care very good. Lots of absolutely lovely midwives. One or two who were a bit disengaged, but on the whole great. Labour suite midwives were particularly good, but I also had some lovely care and great middle of the night chats in postnatal! The auxiliaries and cleaning staff were lovely too.

On my last day all the staff were very busy - I might have found it hard if I had been needing more care, but when I needed people things were quiet.

LittleBee23 Thu 11-Aug-16 01:47:43

I was in the area for the southern but switched to RAH as I just felt the southern was too busy.
My appointments, scans and paperwork were all handled so much more quickly, especially second time around when I was with the RAH from the start rather than transferring my care at 15 weeks.

Post natal ward wasn't great with dd1 but it wasn't awful either. It was easy to get parked for scans and appointments and especially when in labour and easy to find too.

With dd2 I had a planned homebirth So can't comment on labour and delivery that time but I'm really glad I went for a smaller hospital as I'm quite anxious about hospitals and found the southern quite daunting just due to ia s sheer size. This was all before the merger too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now