Feeling stupid, is this labour or not??

(6 Posts)
makingmiracles Sat 18-Jun-16 10:37:44

So Thursday woke up to a bloody show, like egg white with blood in it after losing yellows muscular for the past week, then Friday woke up to contractions, all fri morning they were 20mins apart, by lunchtime they tailed off and then we're back by 5pm yesterday, they were 10mins apart all evening until 1am this morning. Went to sleep and have woken up to nothing, no contractions, just backache again.
Feeling a bit stupid as this is dc5 and really should know what's what by know but I don't. They were definite contractions, painful etc not BH.
Beginning of the week at stretch and sweep told baby was low and I'm a stretchy 3-4cms.

Anyone had similar experience in labour, how long before full blown labour?

WiMoChi Sat 18-Jun-16 12:17:31

I've only had one, and one on the way.... With my first my waters went 10 days before (well started to) then my plug started to come shortly after.

I was having in off contractions for days , didn't sleep for two nights before begging them to let me come in for pain relief. When I did come in I was literally in maternity triage for a few mins before they hit the alarm and I was being prepped for emergency section (delivered naturally in the end thanks to the awesome team there). If it ever happened again like that id badger them to let me come in and be checked..... Just in case. Call them at least X X

WiMoChi Sat 18-Jun-16 12:17:43

PS good luck!

makingmiracles Sat 18-Jun-16 12:24:58

Thanks. They've started up again now, but anywhere from 8-15mins apart so no regularity sad really hope this doesn't go on for days.

AbsolutelyIDo Sat 18-Jun-16 12:26:47

Just remember to keep feeling for kicks from your baby and if you have any questions call your midwife/ maternity triage. Good luck.

KBwan Sat 18-Jun-16 12:49:55

Poor you! Hopefully all this will make it much quicker when it does all kick off. Are you overdue? Did you go overdue with your others?
I had irregular contractions with DC3 for days (never got regular) and was 5 cms dilated before I had any proper, painful contractions at all. He was born within a few hours of contractions starting for real (always irregular though, and stopped if I sat down, so I kept walking).
With DC4 I had only very mild contractions for about 12 hrs, but went to hospital because I was concerned it would all be quick again when it did start in earnest. Pleased I did...
I really hope your new baby puts in an appearance soon.
Good long walks, up and down stairs sideways (legs as wide apart as you can manage).
Failing that, book tickets for something or a haircut... That usually lures them out!

Ps - if it makes you feel any better, DC4 was the only one I had to go to hospital for based on my own judgement rather than for induction. When I arrived I was having really mild contractions irregularly and said 'I'm not sure, but I think I might be in labour'. The receptionist cocked her head to the side and said 'awww, first baby?'. I fet like a complete numpty (until a few hours later when I was holding her).
Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now