C section choices team

(4 Posts)
Isitmeyourlooking4 Tue 31-May-16 09:22:37

Iv just met my consultant who has agreed to a c section. I have to meet with a choices team? Does anyone know anything about this? What happens?

hopeful31yrs Tue 31-May-16 17:15:03

I had to go to a "birth choices" clinic with my first to go through my reasons for c section and so I fully understood the implications. I however didn't get the response I was looking for - the midwife I saw said I couldn't choose which way I wanted to give birth and I got railroaded (ended up with natural birth but with all the complications I feared in the first place). I think these sessions are just to find out you fully understand but I came up against someone with a bee in their bonnet and wasn't the right person to council me. My advice is read the nice guidance, be clear on your reasons for c section and take support (other half or an advocate). It's ultimately your choice and if you're not happy say so.

All the best - I am going to go through this again with my second and fully prepared!

Isitmeyourlooking4 Tue 31-May-16 17:43:02

Thank you!

The consultant agreed straight away, she said she saw no reason why I shouldn't have it. So fingers crossed! I'm 32 weeks now and she wants to see me in 5. She's wrote in my notes "book section at 37 weeks" so hopefully I will get it x

hopeful31yrs Wed 01-Jun-16 16:51:34

A Consultant can agree but NICE guidelines state you still have to see various people and these tend to include the lead person in the midwife team and also can include a psychologist just so that they have gone through the technicalities of saying you are fully aware of what you've asked for - major surgery.

If the Consultant has agreed then it sounds like a formality - in my case I had to go through the midwife before seeing the Consultant and they were more concerned about their C-section figures where I was than listening to my concerns.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now