Could you tell me some positive stories about shared labour wards please?

(19 Posts)
Kafeeundkuchen Sat 23-Apr-16 13:15:39

Hi all, my local hospital (Jessops) doesn't have many private rooms unless you are a priority and I've read so many horror stories about shared labour wards after the birth. I'm guessing it's most likely I'll be on a shared ward as its a busy hospital ( and hoping I wont be a priority!) but after googling I'm now quite anxious about being able to rest, having the privacy for skin to skin and breastfeeding, noisy visitors and cots being knocked due to lack of space etc. Please could anyone tell me some positive stories about shared labour wards that I can focus on? Thanks!

DropYourSword Sat 23-Apr-16 13:18:22

You mean postnatal ward, right?? Surely there's no such thing as shared labour and delivery rooms?
Most wards in most UK NHS hospitals will be shared rooms. Everyone survives, everyone just had to get on with it. At least you'll be in a room with someone going through similar to you and can maybe share ideas/make a new friend. I think single rooms can actually be isolating at times.

LineyReborn Sat 23-Apr-16 13:20:10

You will also find that lots of women can be very kind to each other, and it can be nice to be able to chat.

Duckstar Sat 23-Apr-16 13:30:22

I have had 3 children. Stayed on shared postnatal wards with each of them (5 days, 11 days and 1 day). I preferred to be on shared ward (rather then private room), at £100 per night would have been very expensive!

After DS1 I had a PPH and struggled with breastfeeding. The other Mums were lovely and supportive.

With DS2 I got postpartum sepsis "childbirth fever". I went from walking around and talking to delusion with fever in 90 minutes. It was the lady opposite me on the shared ward at St Thomas' who got help.

Kafeeundkuchen Sat 23-Apr-16 13:56:48

Oops, yes I mean postnatal ward!

TeaBelle Sat 23-Apr-16 13:59:01

I was on a ward of 4 ladies. Partners stayed too. We are still great friends with the lady in the opposite bed and I love that dd has a friend with her birthday. The toilets and showers were always clean and available too. There was a shared kitchen for breakfast and we all helped with partners bringing tea for those ladies without someone with them.

allegretto Sat 23-Apr-16 14:00:03

I loved sharing a room before and after the birth of my kids - it was great to chat to someone else and all of my roommates were lovely. The only thing I did not like was the lack of privacy - it is not easy to try and breastfeed for the first time or use a breast pump with strangers by your bed and no curtains! However, if you are in the UK this shouldn't be a problem.

crayfish Sat 23-Apr-16 14:01:09

I stayed in for three nights on a shared ward. It was fine, they only made us open the curtains for cleaners coming in but other than that you could keep them closed. My DH was allowed to stay from 9.30am til about 9pm and didn't need to leave at all. The food was actually really nice.

Yes, it was noisy at night (my and everyone else's baby crying) but I expected that. Honestly, it was fine and I would have no problem doing it again.

Don't worry, most people are out the next day anyway and all the women are in the same boat.

Kafeeundkuchen Sat 23-Apr-16 14:05:01

Thanks everyone smile

scandichick Sat 23-Apr-16 14:06:36

I made a lovely friend in the labour ward, and my mum is still friends with someone who had a baby when I was born! You probably won't be there as long as she was, though.

PeppasNanna Sat 23-Apr-16 14:09:12

I've had 6 dc. With the last 3 i was discharged straight from the delivery room. With the first 3 i was on a 4 bed maternity ward.

Possibly you won't even need to go to the ward. Don't worry too much. Its all very short & postnatal wards (IME) not the hell holes described on MN!

Sparklycat Sat 23-Apr-16 14:12:50

The postnatal ward I had was def the hell hole as described on MN, complete with woman who had 10 visitors around her bed who angry/abusive/threatening to the midwives and other patients confused (plus she snored like a hippo all the time). I'm dreading having to be in a shared ward again.

mrsmugoo Sat 23-Apr-16 14:14:22

It wasn't the nicest experience, but like previous posters have said a) it's usually only a night or two and b) you have your curtains drawn the majority of the time for privacy.

FretYeNot Sat 23-Apr-16 14:19:23

Four kids here and always on a shared postnatal ward. They've got curtains for privacy so you can enclose yourself if you want to. The noise can be a problem but you're all in the same boat so everyone puts up with it. The best thing about the shared ward is the other mums. You've all got beautiful new babies to show off and you're all full of feel good hormones. I've had some lovely conversations with other post-natal mums.

You may also end up on a shared ward before delivery if you need to be in overnight, or are labouring but not close enough to be on the delivery suite. Here other mums can be a lifesaver for keeping your spirits up. My dd was in and out for months with her boys and always made friends.

Afreshstartplease Sat 23-Apr-16 14:22:03

I was discharged from the delivery room with DC2 and 3

Stayed on a four bed ward after DC1 and hated it! It was so noisy!

twocultures Sat 23-Apr-16 14:39:21

I was in a room with 3 other ladies so 4 of us in total. 2 couldn't speak English and one was friends with the nurse and was otherwise preoccupied so I couldn't talk to anyone which I was way too tired to do anyway. You can generally keep your privacy if you want to as you can draw the curtains all the way around most of the time. They weren't overcrowded as such and there was plenty of space. I did consider a private room at first but I never really looked into it in the end hmm

BaskingTrout Sun 24-Apr-16 12:23:19

I was on a shared 6 bed ward for 6 nights after emcs with dd. for a lot of that time, it wasn't full and I think for 2 nights I was the only person there, or there was maybe one other woman. I guess it was just a quiet time at the hospital and we were lucky. it also helped that I had a window bed, so only someone on 1 side of me, and my hospital has stunning views out of the window!!!
it was absolutely fine, had a bit of a trek to the bathroom which was tricky after an emcs but it wasn't too noisy, and the staff were all lovely and helpful. I didn't really speak to any of the other mums though, because i'm antisocial I was doped up on morphine and a bit knackered.

Thurlow Wed 27-Apr-16 16:29:32

I was on a shared ward for 4 nights. One of my nicest memories is sitting there one early afternoon during that brief bit where no visitors allowed. I had my feet up, was reading a book, and I had next to me DD and the woman from the next bed's baby as she had gone off to express for a bit. It was unexpectedly calm and so nice to just stare at these two beautiful 3 day old babies.

Plus it was nice to not have to wheel your baby with you when you needed the loo or even a shower - we all just watched each others babies for a few minutes.

albertcampionscat Wed 11-May-16 16:12:05

Just (as in half an hour ago) got back from the postnatal ward at the Whittington. It was fine. Midwives, doctors and everyone else all kind & helpful. Baby got some sleep & so did I.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now