One born every minute

(14 Posts)
Sophia17 Tue 12-Apr-16 20:34:14

One Born is the most romanticised show on TV. Where are the snide/useless/condescending/lazy midwives?
Where are the unsupportive/non briefing doctors?
Where are the mums who don't smile when they have a blood covered baby lumped on them?
Where are the dads that are grossed out by childbirth, who can't cut cords?
Where are the mums who have been failed by the NHS and need surgery only days after their baby wasn't safely delivered?

Bullshit Tv show!!! 

ToadsforJustice Tue 12-Apr-16 20:51:49

It's entertainment - non-reality reality show. You know it's not real life because the MW are smiling, helpful and checking your consent before procedures. grin.

Haffdonga Tue 12-Apr-16 20:53:43

I always wonder where the placenta is. Or the stitches. We never see those bits..

Sophia17 Tue 12-Apr-16 21:13:13

It's actually probably not the Tv shows fault.
More the fact that the care I received having baby number 2 has caused me such anger !! angry

ayria Tue 12-Apr-16 21:37:13

I wont say what I think of that show. Before now I would have gone off on one. I was left with PTSD after having my son due to the way his birth was handled, and I'm now in therapy because of it. He's bloody 4 years old and something should have been done years ago but I got offered nothing! It's only in the last few months I've been able to watch it again to "test" myself, it was a trigger before.

ayria Tue 12-Apr-16 21:43:54

Haff - Of course you don't see that, it's all part of romanticizing it. Cut out the shit parts where the midwife can't diagnose what degree of tear you have or digging about to find where you're bleeding from before warning you first! hmm

Miffy1979 Tue 12-Apr-16 22:58:12

Yeah I've yet to see someone being stitched up after forceps, but clearly in agony and screaming at the bitch doing it to stop hmm

TurquoiseDress Tue 12-Apr-16 23:54:24

Yeah OBEM is literally a entertainment show- it's bullshit compared to the reality.

I know women/couples watch it as a way of "preparing" for the birth, but honestly it's all just bollocks for the show.

It sets women up to feel like failures, go into total shock when they have an experience that is not all warm & cosy like it often seems to be on the show.

Junosmum Wed 13-Apr-16 07:44:26

Watching it made me feel better about birth. I wish I hadn't and had stuck to my terror filled idea of birth. After ds was born I was so resentful of that program for giving me such a false idea of labour!

PeppasNanna Sun 17-Apr-16 22:11:47

I have watched OBEM probably 2 or 3 times. I think (IME of 6 dc), its scary as shit!!

ayria Mon 18-Apr-16 15:34:02

I think OBEM makes it look as though nearly every birth goes okay and is uneventful. But there's lots of aspects that happen during labour that are probably cut out of the final filming and can be just as detrimental to the mental health of women. You don't see much intervention even if the woman has had it they seem to cut it out. Also how midwives/doctors handle intervening and sometimes not so well at all!

Births like those seen on OBEM do happen though and mine had the potential to be straight forward... until a doctor ran in!

BettyBi0 Tue 19-Apr-16 12:40:37

It's utter nonsense but I'm still hooked and cry at all the births

They nearly all give birth on their backs in bed too. And what's with all the screaming and shouting during the PUSH bit?

CatchingBabies Tue 19-Apr-16 17:52:13

OBEM is FULL of bad practice and makes me want to scream at the TV! It's an entertainment show not a reality show but so much of the bad practice isn't recognised unless you work in that field and they obviously edit the bits they don't want to see, like stitches or placenta delivery etc. I hate how almost everyone is on their back, on a CTG and being told to hold their breath and push and then they wonder why things go wrong!

1001questions Tue 19-Apr-16 18:12:44

I find plenty of the midwives on this show to be snide and condescending!

The worst one had to be the one who gave birth in her own hospital and at one point shouted out 'I feel such a failure' when she realised she needed an epidural (the horror!).

Speaks volumes about what they must think of their patients, I thought...ugh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now