Arnica before/during labour??

(7 Posts)
Stacemc Tue 12-Apr-16 12:10:16

Hi,

My friend has told me about using Arnica before/during labour? Im 33wks pregnant with baby number 2 and have read that Arnica can help reduce swelling/bruising. Anyone had any experiences of using?? smile

Paperblank Tue 12-Apr-16 14:02:40

I've always used Arnica cream to get rid of bruises, and used it to get rid of the bruise from my cannula. Didn't bother getting any Arnica Tablets so can't advise if they are any good. I would suspect not because I think Arnica Tablets are mainly homeopathic and I'm not convinced that homeopathy is effective.

foxessocks Tue 12-Apr-16 14:05:42

I took arnica tablets immediately after birth of my dd as I had bad bruising and my midwife recommended it. When I went to Holland and Barrett to get some the lady in there told me I should have started taking it before I gave birth for best results. No idea how true that is. I think it did help but I'm really not sure as it might just have been the bruising going down on its own anyway or also the paracetamol I took too! I'm not 100% convinced. I'm pregnant with my second as well and not sure yet whether to take it or not. I might ask my midwife for her opinion on it!

Squaffle Wed 13-Apr-16 03:21:29

I'm taking arnica tablets for bruising/recovery from 2nd degree tear, along with hospital-prescribed (therefore strong) paracetamol and ibuprofen. I don't know which of the three is responsible, but I have found recovery to be much easier than I thought... no pain or discomfort and very little swelling. There's no harm in taking it and I'd do so again incase it is contributing to the above. Good luck smile x

MyFriendsCallMeOh Wed 13-Apr-16 03:54:32

Arnica for bruising and trauma, calendula for broken skin / tears. Start taking tablets a few days before your due date. Dd2 was born by c section, I took arnica and calendula and my consultant was amazed at my speedy healing, he even signed me off to drive 11 days post section.

Stacemc Wed 13-Apr-16 19:48:52

Thanks! I think im going to try the tablets will let you know if they help! hmm

kiki22 Wed 13-Apr-16 21:47:04

I got some a couple of days after a forceps delivery left me bruised inside out it was amazing so much better within 24 hours I couldn't sit without agony on day 1 of taking them but the next morning I could sit without it being very painful. I didn't know you should take them before but I will be now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now